Mapsend Topo 3d Question

Have had Mapsend Topo 3D installed for a couple months now. (The full install) Just wondering if there's some way to make it work without always having to install the third CD in the disk drive. Anyone know of a way to correct the routing on startup for this?

I tried 'copying' CD #3, but Mapsend won't recognize the copied CD as original. If something happens to this disc, Topo 3D won't fire up. Any help is appreciated!

No, you must have the original CD in the drive. The anti-copy scheme that Thales is using will prevent the CD3 from being copied. Many have tried, I do not think it has been "cracked" yet. I am not saying "pirated" by the way. I own all my software, and find it easy for those programs that require it to create a "image" and store that on my hard drive. Anyway, this program seems to be unable to do that. I sure like mounting a "virtual" disk when possible.

Good luck trying!

IndyCanard

There is a work-around for the "insert disk please" issue with the Mapsend software and it has been discussed in several places here and on other forums (yahoo). It does work on both Topo 3D and Direct Route.

I use a Laptop in the car and the CD issue drove me crazy till I got it fixed.

O.K. it seems no one wants to post the exact link to the website which is fine. But if you want to find the info.........

It took me maybe 5 minutes for me to find it. Go to Google DOT com and click on groups.

Do a search exactly as shown

mapsend topo 3D cd 3 required to run

You should get one direct hit. There is a link shown on the second to the last post.

Basically it looks like it just changes a bit of the program so it doesn't have to ask for the disk.

I couldn't get the patch to work but I downloaded a free hex editor and followed the directions. Now, both MapSend Direct route and MapSend Topo now work without the CD's. Thanks for the tip. I own both programs and this was a REAL HASSLE having to carry around the CD's with me.

TIP...If you're going to try this patch or editing the program with a hex editor, be sure to save a copy of the executable in the program folder. That way, if something goes wrong, you can always delete the corrupted file, rename the copy of the executable and you're back in business. This saves having to reload the entire program if something goes wrong.

Glad to help out. I downloaded the patch but it didn't work for me. It didn't recognize the file. I guess I need to download the hex editor and try it again. Guitar4him, good info about the executable file.

Hopefully this worked for everyone. It sure saves having to put in the disc. Also helps if your disc gets damaged.

Kyle

I couldn't get the patch to work but I downloaded a free hex editor and followed the directions. Now, both MapSend Direct route and MapSend Topo now work without the CD's. Thanks for the tip. I own both programs and this was a REAL HASSLE having to carry around the CD's with me.

TIP...If you're going to try this patch or editing the program with a hex editor, be sure to save a copy of the executable in the program folder. That way, if something goes wrong, you can always delete the corrupted file, rename the copy of the executable and you're back in business. This saves having to reload the entire program if something goes wrong.

I can't seem to locate the directions, could you please supply a link or whatever? Thanks. :ph34r:

Follow Buckaroo's instructions in the post above.

I think the reason everyone's reluctant to post the exact information is that it is, technically, "not politically correct" to post such information, due to the fact that it could be used to circumvent Magellan's copywrite protection.

Having said that, it sure is nice to be able to load the programs anytime and anywhere I need to without having to haul around those CD's.

1) Open the .exe with your favorite hex editor (or the one in my post above)

2) Search for 00 84 C0 75 11 6A as a Hex String

3) Replace 75 with EB

save file - run MapSend and hit cancel when prompted with error message...

(assumes you have installed from your original cd, for all maps on local drive)

Edited by JimGz

I also gave the info to a friend who is into Geocaching and he made the change to his home computer and his laptop. He's a happy camper because now when he travels with his laptop he doesn't need to bring along the 3rd disk.

I know with all the copyright issues its best not to publish where this information is located. I have never worked with hex code before but it was pretty easy to do. I downloaded the hex editor from the link that JimGz had in his post. I made a spare copy of the mapsend.exe file and put it in a different location of my computer in case I needed it as a back up. Just open the .exe file and do the edit as explained.

To get the info go to google groups as listed in my above post.

It takes only a few minutes to download the hex editor and a few to make the changes. I was surprised how easy it was.

If you have any question you can drop me an email at

lindstromk AT hotmail DOT com

In the subject line put Topo map question, that way I know its not junk mail.

Kyle

Just noticed something about the 3D topo 3rd disc eliminator info. I only did a recommend load of the 3D software. The mod will eliminate the use of the 3rd disc. Only problem I did not get the topo information or even have the option of the 3D mode. I did an uninstall of the 3D topo and then did a full installation. I did the mod to the .exe file and now it runs without the 3rd disc and I do get all the 3D topo information. So if your going to do the mod to eliminate the 3rd disc I recommend that you do a full installation of the software. If you only do the partial but still need the Topo information all you have to do is install the 3rd disc and then you will get all the topo info.

Kyle

Mine worked fine for both programs. Here's the file size and date of the executables. You get this info by right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and clicking on "Properties":

MapSend DirectRoute NA - mapsend.exe 2,285,568 bytes file version 1.0.0.5

MapSend Topo #D - mapsend.exe 2,883,584 bytes 1.0.0.5

Mine worked fine for both programs. Here's the file size and date of the executables. You get this info by right-clicking on the file in Windows Explorer and clicking on "Properties":

And this string: 00 84 C0 75 11 6A is found in the directroute na module?

And this string: 00 84 C0 75 11 6A is found in the directroute na module?

Yes....same exact string.

should be in line....4D845 OF THE .EXE file. :wub:

For some reason it was in line 4D256. Thanks for all the info, the change worked and that is what's important. Beautiful. Thanks again. :unsure::wub:

My exact steps:

For Mapsend DirectRoute North America:

1) Make a backup copy of mapsend.exe.

2) Open the mapsend.exe module with a hex editor.

3) Search for 00 84 C0 75 11 6A as a Hex String. In DirectRoute v2.x it is in line #: 4D256.

4) Replace 75 with EB.

5) Run mapsend.exe.

6) When the system calls for the DirectRoute CD, press ‘cancel’. The program starts.