Why Write "sl?"

I've been in and out of the caching world over the last couple years, and while comparing logs from now and then I've noticed that the phrase "TNLN" has largely been replaced by "TNLNSL." For some utterly irrational reason this has been bothering me; every time I see it I think, why? Why must you include in your online log the fact that you signed the physical log? Isn't that a prerequisite for logging a smiley face? Everyone just assumes that you signed the log whether you write "SL" or not, so why bother? And if there was something about the cache that made the fact of signing the log remarkable, surely it would warrant more than just a two-letter abbreviation. So I'm just curious - what explains the origins of "SL?"

It is purely a feel good thing. Kinda silly for sure but it makes people, me included feel good. :) There also seems to be some degree of tradition involved. No one is required to do it. Don't worry about it. Nothing bad happens if you don't do it, trust me. :) LSMFT

Edited by Team cotati697
The three "rules" of geocaching are to take something from the cache, leave something in the cache, and write about it in the logbook. Signing TNLNSL says that they've addressed the three rules and are qualified to claim the find.

OK who are you and what have you done with Sax!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are we all too busy to actually write something in our logs? All too often TNLNSL is the only thing written! I personally don't care what a person took from or left in my caches but a note of pleaseure or displeasure gives feedback that is appreciated.

Some people don't formally sign the logbook. Instead they apparently either slap a personalized generic sticker onto the cache container or drop a personalized business card into the cache & think that'll do it :D

Especially those people going out to break a record & find maximum caches in the least amount of time are hardly going to stop & write something in the logbook, which I feel shouldn't be allowed but that's just a personal opinion, and to each his/her own :D

"TNLNSSOC" ? (Took Nothing Left Nothing Slapped Sticker On Cache)? :D

Are we all too busy to actually write something in our logs? All too often TNLNSL is the only thing written! I personally don't care what a person took from or left in my caches but a note of pleaseure or displeasure gives feedback that is appreciated.

I think that is a result of the cache itself. Outstanding caches generally garner extensive logs as people recount their adventure. Lame guardrail micros. What is there to write about those? If I see a lot of "TNLNSL" entries I can be pretty sure its a cache I won't go out of my way to look for.

Here are two examples:

Lame cache

Not so lame cache.

Quite often I keep my log book logs brief and save the more detailed explanations for the cache page.

I can't say that my online logs are sheer poetry, but they are likely to be more wordy than my paper logs. I find it hard to concentrate when I am: being bitten by bugs, winded, tired, hungry, cold, hot and sweaty or annoyed because it took me so long to find the cache. I can't say that I have never written "SL" in a paper log, but I try not to.

[edit typo]

[edit typo #2]

Edited by Tharagleb

I write more if the log book allows it. There are some great caches with poor log paper. In the middle of the woods it is hard to write on a soft log that is just backed up by your hand. I also use a stamp to put two cow faces next to my entry. My son just had twins and it is an inside joke.