Waypoint Along Interstate Highway

Has anyone run into this situation?

I would like to take a trip along Interstate 10 (or any highway). I would like to find all geocache waypoints within a quick 2 mile (or any distance) band of I-10 along its entire length. In effect, the search band moves and follows the highway. Does anyone know of software or a technique that could generate a rolling list of those geocache waypoints that follow the path of the highway within a given band distance?

My technique involves a bunch of PQs, GSAK, and MS MapPoint (or Streets & Trips).

1) I create PQs covering the entire route.

2) I then merge them in GSAK so I have one big gpx file.

3) I convert this file to .csv and import it into MapPoint (MS Streets & Trips also works fine).

4) In MapPoint (or S&T), I create a route of my trip.

5) I then use the 'Find Nearby Places' tool to identify all caches x miles from the route.

6) I pare the big gpx file down in GSAK to only include these nearby caches. Export this file as a new gpx file.

7) I then upload the caches (and appropriate maps) to my 3+.

8) I use Spinner and Sunrise desktop to send the pages to the Plucker application on my pda.

If there are more than 500 caches (which is my GPSr's limit), I break the trip down and upload each day's caches to my GPSr. I try to always take Frankenlaptop on road trips.

If you don't use a pda, skip step 8 and print the pages. You can click to them directly from GSAK.

We recently started using my laptop with a GPS unit hooked into it while running realtime travel on MapSend. I used GSAK to convert the collected waypoints into a magellan friendly file. As we drive we see the waypoints, and have GSAK ready to give us a discription of the cache. There are also a few extra GPSrs in the vehical, that way when we get close, we can zero in on the cache on foot. It would require a few Queries, those along your path, and you would have alot of extra caches listed that you would not be going to. We just download a query on the area that we are going to be caching in and convert it into a usable file and take off.

My technique involves a bunch of PQs, GSAK, and MS MapPoint (or Streets & Trips).

1) I create PQs covering the entire route.

2) I then merge them in GSAK so I have one big gpx file.

3) I convert this file to .csv and import it into MapPoint (MS Streets & Trips also works fine).

4) In MapPoint (or S&T), I create a route of my trip.

5) I then use the 'Find Nearby Places' tool to identify all caches x miles from the route.

6) I pare the big gpx file down in GSAK to only include these nearby caches. Export this file as a new gpx file.

7) I then upload the caches (and appropriate maps) to my 3+.

8) I use Spinner and Sunrise desktop to send the pages to the Plucker application on my pda.

If there are more than 500 caches (which is my GPSr's limit), I break the trip down and upload each day's caches to my GPSr. I try to always take Frankenlaptop on road trips.

If you don't use a pda, skip step 8 and print the pages. You can click to them directly from GSAK.

Can you explain your steps 5 and 6 in more detail? I can't figure that out with S&T. I kind of accomplished the same thing with GSAK arc filter, but your method seems easier if I can figure it out.

Can you pare down the caches in S&T and re-export them to gpx or is that done manually in GSAK?

Edited by Maxine&Me
Can you explain your steps 5 and 6 in more detail? I can't figure that out with S&T. I kind of accomplished the same thing with GSAK arc filter, but your method seems easier if I can figure it out.

Instructions for the 'Find Nearby Places' tool can be found here?