Geo: Alpha2num.html

Hello, I thought I would share a handy little utility i've been working on. It is just a simple html page that uses javascript to do the math on those tricky puzzle caches... I found myself messing up the hand calculations (im a computer guy) so i whipped this up.

It does the A=1, B=2, C=3, ... conversions for you, and also has a field so you can add or subtract a value on the same page. I hope you find that as handy as I do.

I use it on my dell axim x50 pocket pc, i'm not sure if it would work on palm os. (it pretty much depends on if the web browser supports javascript.) Perhaps someone could let me know... On my axim I made is small enough that you can still see the answer while the keyboard is popped up.

I call it "GEO: alpha2num" not that the name matters though...

you can try it here

or download it here

unfortunately, PIE (MS pocket internet explorer) doesn't support the javascript onChange() function, so you have to hit the form button on the pda for it to work, compared to on the PC where it calculates on the fly as you type.

I thought about adding a ROT13 converter option too. A=N, B=O, etc... but since i use GPXSonar and that already decodes hints that it wasn't as important to me.

I'm pretty new to caching, but I thought I would contribute what I could to this great community. Please let me know what you think. :lol:

edit: i should clarify that you can save this html file to your pda and use it while caching, you don't have to have internet access...

Edited by toneLokation
I thought about adding a ROT13 converter option too. A=N, B=O, etc... but since i use GPXSonar and that already decodes hints that it wasn't as important to me.

How about a ROT-anything one? Which allows you to do ROT-20 or ROT-5 calculations...

and maybe something that can reverse the text for you, spitting out sentences that are backwards.

good exercises for you :lol:

you can try it here

<snip>

unfortunately, PIE (MS pocket internet explorer) doesn't support the javascript onChange() function, so you have to hit the form button on the pda for it to work, compared to on the PC where it calculates on the fly as you type.

I went to the site on my Palm Treo 650 using Blazer. It doesn't support onChange() either, but works fine when you hit Find Value. Thanks.