Caches That Require Long Battery Life

Just moving a topic from another thread.

I have designed electronic multicache markers that change automatically.

Each day the markers change and take seekers on different paths to the final.

I just have a few minor isuues to work out before I give em a test run.

Check out the following link:

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/cgi-bin/c...ction&key=K8045

You could easily use one of these and program it to alternate between a number of coordinates over time. You could build it a waterproof casing. And the power consumption should be low enough that maintenance would be occasional, versus often.

Use Google and search for "programmable lcd kits"

The point is trying to minimize power consumption thus maximizing battery life. The LCD display will need to be on all the time for it to work, as well as the other circuitry.

Well, LCD watches are on all the time, and their battery life is usually on the order of a year or so. How long is not long enough? I'd suspect LCD displays to be similar in their power needs.

I am also uncertain how an LCD display would handle everything from the heat of summer to the cold of winter.

The rotating drum is also more cost effective and alot cheaper to replace should makers go missing or get damaged.

OK, SO... :laughing:

If I am following correctly, you want a relitively small (say the size of a pack of cigarettes?) device, elctro-mechanical in one form or another, have a predetermined set of coord's to randomly rotate through the list, low power consumption, near bullet proof, and withstand metoerological extremes?

If so, lemme know in reply and I will set it up for you, schematics and all.

I think all cachers have a supply of AA batteries on them (at least the set in their GPS, if no spare ones) so why not get them plug in their own batteries to get the clue. I have been toying with this idea to power a laser pointer which reflects off mirrors to mark a pathway.

I have been toying with this idea to power a laser pointer which reflects off mirrors to mark a pathway.

You going to align the mirrors so that the laser beam bounces from mirror to mirror, indicating the entire route? Talk about major maintenance issues ... what a nightmare! (But a really cool idea!)

Edited by Yankees Win!
You could easily use one of these and program it to alternate between a number of coordinates over time.

For the price you could get an old Palm m105 off ebay for about 15 bucks. Hack a 4 D cell power cell--parrallel two pair cells which are in series. Considering a pair of AAA last about a month, the 4 D should last at least a year. Heck, just a pair of 4 D just last a year.

Also considering the Palm is a full-on computer the possibilities are endless. You could even have it availabe to beam information to other Palms.

To take care of the temperature extremes make sure the cache is close to the ground and covered. In the winter, the finder might have to put it under his coat for a bit to warm up the display to view.