Sterotypes

bogleman

My first post, excuse me if this has already been discussed or is in the wrong forum. I would like some input from the community regarding a word that has bothered me since I first started geocaching. I have seen and I have even been referred to as a geek when I discuss geocaching with nongeocachers. I have seen the word geek even mentioned in the forum threads. I don't consider myself a geek, why would someone consider me a geek? I don't understand. Is it because of the technology associated with the activity or am I missing something. I don't see them hiking 1/2 mile through a briar patch to sign their name on a piece of paper. If a person uses technology to their advantage, does this make them a geek?

I think it boils down to...

Do you dress like this?

steve3.jpg

:(

I think people consider this geeky because they rely too much on the GPS part when forming opinions about the game, and not on the outdoorsy part. I think geocaching does appeal to the more "techno-savvy" among us, though, even though a GPS is not particularly difficult to learn to use. I say, let people think what they want. I'm still having fun. :(

:( While some cachers are very tech savy and computer literate (geek like), I prefer to think of geocaching as an extreme sport. After all the injuries I've had in the pursuit of a cache, or putting your hand into places and onto objects your mother would freak out about, I feel you have to be outdoor oriented to stay in this sport. But, don't let labels bother you.
I think it boils down to...

Do you dress like this?

[uRKEL]

No, no, no TP...That is a NERD. You have to know the difference between a GEEK, a NERD, a DORK, and a SPAZ.

I am a NERD (was in the 'smarty class' in HS...Played strategic games such as chess, Magic the Gathering, etc...Read the dictionary for fun) and a GEEK (very techno-savvy...can gut a computer and reassmble it blindfolded).

Not a DORK or SPAZ, though :(

I am a NERD (was in the 'smarty class' in HS...Played strategic games such as chess, Magic the Gathering, etc...Read the dictionary for fun) and a GEEK (very techno-savvy...can gut a computer and reassmble it blindfolded).

And I thought I was the only one that read the dictionary for fun. :( I once had an encyclopedia sale person come to my door and ask if I was familiar will there product. I informed them that I was since my family had a set and I use to read them cover to cover. The person did not believe me until my wife confirmed my statement.

Also you know you’re a geek when you teach computer and network support and your boss calls you a geek. :( Just because I have the GPS plugged into the laptop, carry a Palm unit and am working on setting up an Ham Radio APRS.

I don't consider myself a geek, why would someone consider me a geek?  I don't understand.  Is it because of the technology associated with the activity or am I missing something.  I don't see them hiking 1/2 mile through a briar patch to sign their name on a piece of paper.

I suggest that hiking 1/2 mile through a briar patch to sign your name on a piece of paper is something only a geek would do. And I won't tack a smily on the end of that statement.

I don't consider myself a geek, why would someone consider me a geek?  I don't understand.  Is it because of the technology associated with the activity or am I missing something.  I don't see them hiking 1/2 mile through a briar patch to sign their name on a piece of paper.

I suggest that hiking 1/2 mile through a briar patch to sign your name on a piece of paper is something only a geek would do. And I won't tack a smily on the end of that statement.

That's not quite right - only a geek would hike 1/2 mile thru a brier patch to sign his name to a piece of paper using a techno gadget! I've traveled a lot harder terrain and longer to sign my name to a piece of paper without the gadget (like the Mt Rainer summit register) - not at all a 'geeky' thing to do.

My first post, excuse me if this has already been discussed or is in the wrong forum. I would like some input from the community regarding a word that has bothered me since I first started geocaching. I have seen and I have even been referred to as a geek when I discuss geocaching with nongeocachers. I have seen the word geek even mentioned in the forum threads. I don't consider myself a geek, why would someone consider me a geek? I don't understand. Is it because of the technology associated with the activity or am I missing something. I don't see them hiking 1/2 mile through a briar patch to sign their name on a piece of paper. If a person uses technology to their advantage, does this make them a geek?

I don't understand what you're talking about.

So what kind of geek are you?

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Version: 3.12

GAT d-@ s-:+>-:- a(--)>? C++ UL+++>$ !P L++>++++ E--- W+++ N+ o@ K+++ w+(--) O- M@ V !PS !PE Y+ PGP t++@ 5 X+ R+ tv- b+ DI++ D+ G++ e*>++++ h* r+++ y++++

------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------

"Geek" is a term from the 80s, "dork" arrived in the 70s, and "nerd" was popular in the 50s - early 60s. "Spaz" is from the 80s, but it never truly achieved its place in the lexicon that it deserves.

The GPS part is "geeky", but true geeks dont go hiking or outdoors much. So concentrate on the outdoors aspect when describing it to muggles to avoid the geek-nerd-dork image.

Edited by 4wheelin_fool

I've dicussed this with my kid. He disagrees with me, but here how I see it.

A spaz is someone socially being rejected.

A dork is someone who is socially inept, and dresses so.

A nerd is someone much more into any intellectual persuits than those creatures called girls, and dresses so.

A geek is a specialized nerd in many ways; persues one area of knowledge (usually technology based) but may be normal in all other ways. (or not)

Are the terms "geek" and "poindexter" interchangeable? Or is a poindexter closer to an inept nerd? :laughing:

And are there levels of geek'iness? Can you be a cool geek? A closet geek? Or on the other side of the coin, a flaming geek? Can you be a part time geek? A "seasonal geek"? :laughing:

Are the terms "geek" and "poindexter" interchangeable? Or is a poindexter closer to an inept nerd?  :laughing:

And are there levels of geek'iness? Can you be a cool geek? A closet geek? Or on the other side of the coin, a flaming geek? Can you be a part time geek? A "seasonal geek"?  :laughing:

I don't think the terms are interchangeable. I think a geek is anyone who uses technology not found in the general public, like the GPSR. Now if it is in gerneral circulation (ipod, memory stick, palm/win handheld) you can escape the labeling. I think a poindexter is someone who uses their 40 lb. brain to lord their superior intellect over everyone else.

Proud Geek! :laughing:

Edited by Be-a-Jayhawk
I have seen and I have even been referred to as a geek when I discuss geocaching with nongeocachers.

Normally I don't discuss the technical side of caching when talking to muggles. It's all hiking, parks, and sightseeing, then I'll bring up the search.

If they ask me about gps's and PDAs I'll just generalize. "Yeah, you use a GPS"

If they ask me how a GPS works I tell them it's magic.

If they push it I offer to send them a website address they can read for themselves about how it works. (They always say no).

The people who are truly interested don't ask all those techy questions, they just ask if they can tag along sometime. Once they try it and see all your nice toys, then you have found a fellow geek.

there are several types of geeks, lets review

the computer geek, which i'm sure all of you know about intimately

the music geek, whick is either way too tech about music(ipod+all accessories), or knows way too much about music(memorized billboard charts), or even someone who collects or listens to very obscure bands/songs/rarities

the tech geek, who is just into gadgets of every kind and cant live without (check this page, especailly the gps section)

I'm sure there are others, and many are comprised of partial or combinations of each. :laughing:

The term "geek" originated from carnivals, they were performers who acted like a wild man, someone raised by animals, who would then bite the head off a chicken. The concpet of a geek was exanded to cover any performer who engaged in similar wierd behvaiour like, a human block head.

I used to work in an office where I made the mistake of telling someone about Goecaching. Everyone near me only seemed to hear the words "website and GPS receiver" and annoited me as a geek. When I looked at them and asked if they wanted to join me on a 3 mile roundtrip hike to find a cache I got an equally strange look. Because geeks don't hike or spend time away from a computer.

Edited by magellan315

There are many forms of geeks.

Movie, computer, band, theatre, car, Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Roleplaying, D&D, etc..

Geek in and of itself has nothing to do with technology.

It seems to me it's just another form of saying you specialize.

However I am a movie and computer geek, plus a few others.

:) A geek must have a pocket protector for a minimum of 4 pens, 5 pencils and at least one sharpie.

The next thing is an ability to fix all the stupid mistakes you just made on the computer.

An inability to function in groups is also a plus. :lol:

pocket protector, fannypack same difference. :laughing:

Main Entry: geek

Pronunciation: 'gEk

Function: noun

Etymology: probably from English dialect geek, geck fool, from Low German geck, from Middle Low German

1 : a carnival performer often billed as a wild man whose act usually includes biting the head off a live chicken or snake

2 : a person often of an intellectual bent who is disapproved of

- geeky /'gE-kE/ adjective

I cant BELIEVE Merriam Webster ends the second definition with a prepositional phrase!

:laughing: A geek must have a pocket protector for a minimum of 4 pens, 5 pencils and at least one sharpie.

The next thing is an ability to fix all the stupid mistakes you just made on the computer.

An inability to function in groups is also a plus. :)

A nerd is more know for pocket protectors, but geeks do love the sharpies. Also, a geek needs one of those little screwdrivers with the pocket clip attached to their shirt (pocket or collar).

This is what I think on the Geek issue. First, on some levels the reference to Geek is a complimentary term for someone who has above average skills in areas of technology (see "the Geek Squad" at Best Buy). To some, however, the term "Geek" may be equated with other less than complimentary references (you all know what they are). To those I would suggest indifference. It is no different than grade school where some people try to make themselves look better by making another look worse. They only win in that regard if you let them. So hang your head high and go find those caches and remember hot women dig Geocache Geeks (at least thats what I keep telling myself).

The term "geek" originated from carnivals, they were performers who acted like a wild man, someone raised by animals, who would then bite the head off a chicken. The concpet of a geek was exanded to cover any performer who engaged in similar wierd behvaiour like, a human block head.

The geek that made Granny Weasel blow her oatmeal bit the head off a rat (this had particular resonance, as she was a rodentophobe). Carnivals often picked up deep-fried, worst-case alcoholics -- men who would do anything for booze -- to transform into geeks. They were absolutely, positively the bottom rung of the carney ladder (and the freaks were the aristocracy, on account of you had to be born into it).

"Geek" was a stinging insult. But the same attitude and worldview that makes a technogeek a geek also makes him immune to the implications. Face it, if you've decided to give your valedictory address in Klingon or wear your underpants outside your tights, you clearly do not give a flip what the extra-geekal community may think about anything.

Geocaching, however, is only quasi-geeky. Way too much hiking and trees and boots and pooping in the woods and stuff. You can't get a tan doing anything truly geeky.

A few weeks ago my wife told a co-worker of hers that we had been in the area he where he lives over that weekend and how beautiful we thought it was. When he asked why we had been there she told him we were looking for Geocaches. He had heard of it and was interested so she described it a bit and said 'yeah I know, we're geeks.'

His response was something on the order of 'you're not a geek. I'm a geek because I want to geocache but I know won't so I have to live vicariously through your geocaching.' He might have a point. At least we get out there and do it.

All that being said though, I consider myself a geek and I'm perfectly happy that way.

I think a geek is anyone who uses technology not found in the general public, like the GPSR.  Now if it is in gerneral circulation (ipod, memory stick, palm/win handheld) you can escape the labeling.

I don't know about this. I picked up a GPS for hiking because I'm incapable of operating a compass, and learned about the GPS from Backpacker magazine. Actually, Backpacker uses GPS-technology quite alot, with waypoints for almost all of their hikes these days, so it seems like GPSs are commonly used by hikers. Does this make hiking a 'geek' sport or Backpacker a 'geek' magazine?

When I showed a non cacher my equipment (GPS, PDA, etc) he told me I was quote, "A propeller headed dork with more electronics than NASA."

Before geocaching, I had never used a USB port, or needed a serial port, I never dreamed of owning a PDA, let alone several mapping programs.

My new description is a (Technologically Advanced Outdoorsman) TAO.

My husband has insisted that I am a geek after I have very recently discovered geocaching. He has forbidden me from telling any of our family or friends about my new hobby (not that I listen to him!).

He has, however, very kindly bought me an etrex camo today. He said I had to have the camo version beacuse the yellow one was 'totally geeky' and at least this way 'people are less likely to see it'!

Incidentally, the term 'spaz' is now deemed pretty offensive. (at least in the UK) It derives from the word spastic which was used years ago to describe somebody with cerebral palsy. This word isn't really part of acceptable language usage these days! (but this may just be the case in the UK!)