Dodgedave Cache In Murder Hunt

Deego

Anybody else read The Dead Place by Stephen Booth The book uses a geocache in the Peak District. There is a thread on the main forum here

Also Woodsmoke's TB Mr potato head is mentioned.

I will have to try to get a copy.

So hands up which one of you is Stephen Booth :D :D. He has a beard on his bio pic. maybe its dodgedave :blink:;)

Edited by Deego

You swines! Now I have had to go and purchase the book to read for myself. I have not read any of the other books in the series, but like Ian Rankin (I read a Rebus book at random to start with) I am sure I can start at the beginning if I like his style.

The descriptions of the cacher, the cache etc seem pretty close to real people. I wonder if DodgeyDave has any redress? Didn't that runner chappy get a payoff from the directory enquires people for using a runner in their advertising campaigns who was obviously based on himself? hey, at the least he should get an autographed copy of the book! Hmmm.

.......from the author......

"Hi, Dave!

Thanks a lot for your email. You don't happen to be tall, athletic, in your

thirties, and a fireman based in Sheffield, do you?

I wouldn't be entirely surprised if you were, because some very weird things

do happen...

To be perfectly honest, I had to search through 'The Dead Place' to see what

on earth you were talking about! The details of minor characters tend to

disappear from my memory when a few months have passed from finishing a book

and I'm deep into the next one.

Likewise, I'm not sure at this distance where the details were plucked from

during the writing process, but I guess I must have borrowed the name of

your Petrus cache, since it fits in with a Latin theme in the book, as well

as referring to the Gibbet Rock. However, I can assure you that 'Dangerous

Dave' Mead is certainly not intended to be you - especially since I don't

know you, and I don't know anything about you (you sound like a decent

bloke, though, just like the 'other Dave'.)

Anyway, if you're really chuffed by the reference in 'The Dead Place' and

think it'll bring you a bit of street cred or a few drinks in the pub,

please feel free to brag about it as much as you like. On the other hand, if

you're offended by any apparent similarity, I'll, er... send you a

complimentary copy of the next book as a goodwill gesture. Generous, or

what?

You're not the most unusual case of coincidence I've had during the course

of this series. There's a Derbyshire CID officer who believes that the

character of DS Diane Fry is based on her (poor soul!). The evidence is

purely circumstantial, but I'm not sure I've managed to convince her yet...

All the best,

Stephen Booth"

So I am just a minor character :D , ah well...........

I posted the author about the interest in the forum. including a link to the posts...

.....and a composite of his publicity piccy and wlw's profile piccy!

....his reply:

"It's amazing, Dave. In fact, the resemblance is even more uncanny, since I'm

a bit older and greyer than my publicity photo would have you believe...

And I'm thrilled to be talked about in the geocaching world. That's real

fame, that is! If you think it's okay, I'll post a link to the Groundspeak

forum on my website, and perhaps in my newsletter later on. I'm sure most of

my readers will think I just made up geocaching.

All the best,

Stephen"

I should assure the Forum that there is almost certainly no connection between Mr. Booth and myself. Admittedly, one can see a passing resemblance in the photographs, but this may be because I am coloured whereas he is black and white.

Let me take this opportunity of wishing Mr. Booth continued success for the future. I am familiar with his previous work, and I thought he was particularly good as Polly the waitress in Fawlty Towers.

-Wlw.

there is almost certainly no connection between Mr. Booth and myself
I always feel a bit suspicious when those words are said to me

It's no wonder that WLW faked a geocaching injury when his publisher insisted on him finishing the tome! Now if there's one mention of Lucozade in the book, his cover is well and truly blown...

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

I’ve only just come across this book, which was shown to me recently by g0wex. I got a bit of a shock when I read the chapter where they find the cache – the bit were they’re reading the logbook - a cacher called ‘Itinerant Maggie’! Also, the extract from the logbook is a verbatim copy of the last sentence of my actual log entry for ‘Petrus’. Can I sue him for plagiarism? I wouldn’t mind, but I appear to have changed gender as well :rolleyes: ! I think the very least he can do is send me a signed copy – I’ll drop the legal case then ;) .

I have to say I obtained this book out of curiosity and read it, but I would just like to state for the record that it's PANTS!! The caching bit is completely gratuitous, the characters are 2D, the plot is full of holes, the writing style is stultifying, if you haven't read the previous books, forget it! (unlike a decent writer such as Ian Rankin, where each book can stand alone on it's own merits), there are characters who are thrown in as hoc for no apparent reason, and in the the last 3 pages the writer evidently remembers that there is supposed to be some sort of sexual frisson between the two main characters, so throws some in, in the most awkward and clunky fashion it has ever been my displeasure to read.

Free to a good home (assuming Hokesters does not want it, Simon has first refusal) otherwise it's going in a cache... I will make the geocache bit with a post-it to save you the bother of reading it!

I have to say I obtained this book out of curiosity and read it, but I would just like to state for the record that it's PANTS!! The caching bit is completely gratuitous, the characters are 2D, the plot is full of holes, the writing style is stultifying, if you haven't read the previous books, forget it! (unlike a decent writer such as Ian Rankin, where each book can stand alone on it's own merits), there are characters who are thrown in as hoc for no apparent reason, and in the the last 3 pages the writer evidently remembers that there is supposed to be some sort of sexual frisson between the two main characters, so throws some in, in the most awkward and clunky fashion it has ever been my displeasure to read.

Free to a good home (assuming Hokesters does not want it, Simon has first refusal) otherwise it's going in a cache... I will make the geocache bit with a post-it to save you the bother of reading it!

:blink: ...So you didn't like it much?... :ph34r:

(and I'd just put it into my Ebay searches.... :ph34r: )

Mrs B

I quite enjoyed it - but then I'd read most of the previous books first so I knew some of the history of the characters. Alibags is right, it wouldn't work so well as a standalone. I must admit, I was scanning through for the caching references most of the way!

Caching is more or less mentioned in passing, but then it was never advertised as a caching book in the first place (except on here!)