Pre-approved Cache .loc/.gpx

ODragon

This is a minor comment/suggestion.

I have a cache waiting in the que to be reviewed and listed (woowoo on using the correct terms)... I was playing around with it and noticed the .loc button will give me a .loc file which causes GSAK and Mapsource to crash while the .GPX button opens up to an empty page. I think making the.loc file do this would be preferable to giving a file that crashs other programs...

So an empty loc/gpx file causes GSAK and Mapsource to crash? This isn't related to the Geocaching website. Check with the GSAK or Mapsource people.

I don't know that an empty gpx file will cause programs to crash. I'm not given one from GC.com. Upon requesting one, I'm given a blank screen.

I'm just asking that a .loc file gives the same blank screen. I'm probably not the only one this has happened to.

Since neither the GSAK or Mapsource people people run GC.com, I'll leave this request here. If fits my idea of what should go in this topic.

What I mean is that gpx and loc files are meant to help cachers find caches. If the cache isn't approved yet, then no one should be trying to load it up.

Also, the GSAK and Mapsource people should fix their software so it doesn't crash when an empty file is loaded.

This is also true.

What I mean is that gpx and loc files are meant to help cachers find caches. If the cache isn't approved yet, then no one should be trying to load it up.

Also, the GSAK and Mapsource people should fix their software so it doesn't crash when an empty file is loaded.

The only ones who can see the page and therefore download the gpx/loc file for unapproved caches are the volunteer approvers and the cache owner. I could see these people wanting to be able to use the gpx/loc file for a number of legitimate reasons.

Edited by tozainamboku

I just emptied out a .gpx and .loc file that I downloaded from gc.com. Both of them load fine in both programs and don't crash them.

There is a problem with .loc files from unapproved caches.

I've been nailed by this when a cache gets "unapproved" between the time I see it on the page and the time I try to d/l coords for it. You really don't have to be trying something hokey to get it.

The .locs aren't empty - they're just malformed:

<![CDATA[Thanks for Playing by Nice Try]]></name>

<coord lat="0" lon="0"/>

<type>Geocache</type>

<link text="Cache Details">http://www.geocaching.com/</link>

</waypoint></loc>

It's missing the opening <waypoint> tag and the <name id="GC1234"> tag. It was surely either an underachieving cut/paste or an overzealous delete.

Thanx.

I used to use the GPX file from my own caches. I thought this was a feature, and I thought I was using it legitimately.

Mapopolis waypoints aren't able to be exported and gc.com won't accept a GPX from GSAK to list a cache, so instead of typing waypoints and all the cache details into both GSAK and gc.com, I would just type everything into gc.com and then get the GPX into GSAK. For multis, I would then copy the base waypoint GCXXXX to GCXXXX-1, etc within GSAK and enter corrected coordinates for each stage, so I could have all the coordinates on file in GSAK (since they'll be gone from Mapopolis and also from gc.com as soon as the reviewer deletes my reviewer notes). This is similar to the way I track a multi in progress if it is going to be spread over multiple days.

I haven't hid a cache since the change which broke the feature which wasn't supposed to be there in the first place, so it's not a big deal, but it does mean that my next listing will probably just not be in GSAK or back in Mapopolis until approval, which may mean a higher chance of me losing the coordinates.

Not a big deal - just showing how this "feature" was being used by me.

No one? Surely the owner has a legitimate reason for this.

If "no one" should be loading it then the cache page should not allow the LOC download - simple. (just as the GPX was removed per the post by caderoux)

If Loc file is allowed to be downloaded, then it shouldn't be broken.