Should There Be A Limit

Should there be a limit as to how many new rules can be proposed a week?

Everyone wants new rules that make things fit their way of thinking. Nobody wants new rules that don't fit their way of thinking.

My opinion on topic is We have enough guidelines/rules. Don't read all the posts. Don't post to those you think are stupid. Self Moderation is a wonderful thing. Try it some time.

Hmmm. The idea is not going over too well. What if we modified it to say that there should be a limit of one Member per topic, rather than one topic per Member?

Following this logic, I see that Dick has already posted at the beginning of the thread. Therefore, the topic should either be closed, or available only for the original Member to post to. I am not quite sure of the details.

Hmmm. The idea is not going over too well. What if we modified it to say that there should be a limit of one Member per topic, rather than one topic per Member?

Following this logic, I see that Dick has already posted at the beginning of the thread. Therefore, the topic should either be closed, or available only for the original Member to post to. I am not quite sure of the details.

:mad: Yeah I like this one.

Kind of like it's your question.

YOU come up with the answer. :lol:

If we were limited to, say, one new topic (per member) per week, perhaps users would be more discriminating about the topics they start, and maybe the forums would be more useful.

OK, maybe two new topics per week.  :huh:  :P

Tyring to take you seriously...(though I'm not sure you are serious about this)... :lol:

1) A limit of one or two a week would disadvantage new cachers who are looking for answers to legitimate questions.

2) A limit of one a year would not cause some users to be more discriminating about the topics they start! :lol:

I find myself agreeing with LaPaglia :P:

Don't read all the posts. Don't post to those you think are stupid. Self Moderation is a wonderful thing...

Alas, I don't think I've ever seen a thread go unanswered, no matter how "un-discriminating" the OP was. Not a lot of self moderation 'round here. :P

Oh joy! Then we can look forward to more of this.

warning, horribly funny yet un-pc game linked to here

Okay - I was warned. That was an evil game. I can't believe you posted the link. And I can't believe I'm so uncoordinated I only got 3 before the cops came in!

But seriously, no limits on topics. And patience and understanding to those of our ranks who are punctuationally challenged.

Momma Marauder

Oh no here we go again.

Why ask for new rules, maybe the people who post x # of topics per day will read this topic and be like huh, I guess he was talking to me so I wont post anymore!

If this limit is enforced then everyones 1 post per week will be "Ban 1 post per week limit!!!!!!!!" Thats just crazy, I do agree that people could put more time into their topics instead of creating and then never going back to, but please, no rules. let us have Freedom of speech in the forums.

Tyring to take you seriously...(though I'm not sure you are serious about this)...  :P

I admit that I was selfishly annoyed over a rather petty situation in the forums, and originally, this topic was tongue-in-cheek. Having allowed my cooler head to prevail, however, I really think my original question deserves validity, so yes, my question is serious.

I'm not advocating anything here; I'm simply asking for opinions. I can see pros and cons.

1) A limit of one or two a week would disadvantage new cachers who are looking for answers to legitimate questions.

I don't think it would disadvantage anyone. It would, I think encourage new cachers (and others) to research before they post some silly question that has been answered 10 times in as many months.

2) A limit of one a year would not cause some users to be more discriminating about the topics they start!  :P

Those are some of the best ones! :lol:

Allow me to rephrase my Topic Title:

Should there be flood control on new topics?

:lol:

Edit: Spelling.

Edited by sept1c_tank

Topics are like caches. Some good some bad. Some people do a lot of good ones. Some nothing but crap. Most of us do both.

So if you limit topics that someone can start they will save it for their can't miss wonderful topic that has a 50/50 change of actually being a good one. However they are more likely to get pissed off when their topic is derailed into a game about running people over. I finally quit the game I was kicking so too much butt and having Death Race 2000 flashbacks.

Yay!!!!!!!!!! I won, I got 1915 score. LOL

I got 19695 before "an error occured" and the game stopped. :lol:

This looks like one of those "kids" someone had talked about earlier. School starts for me on Aug 22, but that wont stop me from posting on the forums.

Maybe I'll just post a bunch of topics to annoy... or maybe not.

:P

I'm liking the solution proposed by The Leprechauns.

Lep was not exactly clear in his post:

...the topic should either be closed, or available only for the original Member to post to.

If you're suggesting that this topic be reserved for my posts only, I'm flattered, but I really don't think that's fair or productive. :P

If you're suggesting that the topic be closed, I just don't understand why; sure, some people are posting off topic, but that should be a reflection on them, not the validity of this topic. :lol::lol::P

Alright, why would you allow people to post 1 post per topic, thats crazy. I could live with the # of topics created by one person within a period of time. "An exception if they are legitimate. No I take that back, WHY would you do such a thing. What if someone was about to go out to look for a cache and needed advice or they were about to go out caching and needed advice about their unit. What if they had already posted their 1 topic already and now they are just screwed!

I say just leave it alone and dont change a thing except for maybe banning topics about creating NEW Ridiculous Rules!!!

Dont ruin the forums for everyone, leave it the way it is.

I dunno. Limiting the # of topics to one per week may hamper the group. If the limit was 5 per week, that would allow members to get all, or nearly all, their questions posted without allowing them to run rampant.

That being said, I don't read EVERY post or topic. I self-filter based on time available and interest in topic. Best part is, nobody is complaining about this particular rule imposed on..... myself! :cry::(

Oh wait, did I just play both sides?!?!? <_<

So what do you think about flood control on new topics?  <_<  :(

I think it's an invitation to the creation of sock puppets.

...which of course would be the proof of our Forum Addiction. :cry:

Well, if someone ever wants to crackdown on sock puppets, this might be just the way to do it - exploit the addiction and bait them!

Would new topic flood control really encourage the creation of sock puppet accounts?

Since sock puppets are illegal on this site, and using one can lead to dire consequences including total account ban, I suspect most users would refrain from using one. Of course there are those who don’t care, but they are likely to use a sock puppet anyway.

On the positive side, new topic flood control would limit the puppets also. :cry:<_<

I dunno.  Limiting the # of topics to one per week may hamper the group.  If the limit was 5 per week, that would allow members to get all, or nearly all, their questions posted without allowing them to run rampant.

OK, a time limit of 24 hours before posting an additional new topic would qualify as flood control. :cry:<_<

Upon further consideration, I think fewer topics would just lead to more of them drifting off-topic in all different directions.

The existing topics could easily become needlessly confusing for those who haven't followed the topic from the beginning. (For the record, that's why I don't even bother trying to read "Cheers!" <_<)