Mapsource

I just checked the Garmin site, and this version is now available. The following changes have been made:

-This will be the last version of MapSource to support reading/importing PCX5 files. For future compatibility, please migrate your data to the GPX format.

-Fixed error with the specification of some states or countries in searches in the “Find Places” dialog.

-Fixed issue with not being able to select states or countries in the “Find Places” dialog.

-Fixed issue with searches using states or countries that have names in multiple languages.

-Changed version number to use three numbers.

In Mapsource Versions 6.5 and older, they had real-time tracking. That means you can hook the GPS to the computer and use Mapsource to track your progress on your computer--your laptop could become a navigational device. With the development of nRoute, Garmin moved all the tracking function to it, away from Mapsource. nRoute uses the same maps as Mapsource, such as City Select, and turns your computer into a navagational device, with voice prompts.

Keep in mind when I talk aobut Mapsource, I am referring to the program engine that allows you to view and use the maps, such as US Topo, City Select, or MetroGuide. nRoute is also a program engine that allows you to view and use the same maps, but for a different purpose.

In Mapsource 6.7 the ability to plug your gps in while traveling and have the screen follow the vehicle was removed and placed in a seperate program called nroute. Nroute is a free program available from Garmin but some folks are angry that the functionallity was removed from Mapsource as they now have to use two seperate programs to do what they use to do with one.

If anyone is interested. I had mistakingly updated to v6.7...then read that tracking was removed.

Fortuneatly, I had saved the v6.5 patch and just re-ran that. Now my tracking is back and hopefully will function as before.

I guess I need to look before I leap...just blindly geting updates is not always the best policy. I expect Garmin to add features, not take them away.