Category Proposal: Playgrounds

I would like to see listings for playgrounds.

Is this a "Good Idea" or not given that it is kid/youth related?

(If it is a "Good Idea" and moves forward, I am willing to give ownership of the category to whoever wants it - post a message in the thread, first-come, first-serve.)

~J of TeamRJMK~

Edited to add:

Name: Public Playgrounds

* playgrounds accessible to the public only (Thanks KKTH3)

* The listing should include (at least)

* hours available

* restrooms available

Edited by TeamRJMK

I see the point, but I wonder if this gets to be too broad. The other issue is that there are many playgrounds that are not public or at least not available at all times - ones in churchyards, schools, day-care centers, Joe and Emily Smith's backyard, etc.

Public playgrounds might be a better point to start from since if I was travelling and my son needed a playbreak I'd hate to go to the nearest waypoint and find it in the back lot of a closed day-care center.

(note: playgrounds were also proposed by The 3 Team in this thread: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=120117 dated Jan 21, 2006. Since there has been no activity on that thread since Jan 21, I am going ahead with a proposal for this category. If The 3 Team would like to share ownership, please let me know...)

Please provide comments on this proposed Waymark Category. I'm particularly interested in other ideas of information to request either in the description or variables information fields. I have a USA perspective so assistance making this applicable internationally is also encouraged.

I want this to end up with enough information so someone from outside the area can determine which (if any) are good candidates for visiting.

Thanks!

~J of TeamRJMK~

----------------------------------------

Name: Playgrounds

Heirarchy: Places / Sports and Recreation

Quick Description:

Playgrounds open to the general public.

Detailed Description:

A "Playground" consists of an area containing equipment designed for children to play on or in. It typically includes items like slides, swings, sandboxes and monkey bars. Proposed playgrounds may be small or large, intended for toddlers or older kids or anything in between.

This category includes all playgrounds open to the general public including ones located in parks and businesses. Playgrounds intended for use by a specific audience only (for example residents of a particular area) should not be included. Playgrounds in schoolyards should NOT be submitted unless they are open to the general public, including non-residents.

Instructions for Placing Waymarks into this Category:

Post a description of the playground including as much information as possible to help a visitor determine whether it is a place they would like to visit. Typical information to include would be types of equipment available, playground size, general ages supported and available amenities like adult seating, restrooms, picnic areas, etc.

The "Special" variable is intended to help mark the playgrounds that are particularly nice for the area and well suited for outside visitors. This may include things like a unique type of equipment, large size, particularly nice amenities or anything that would cause you to highly recommend visiting this playground over the neighboring playgrounds.

Playgrounds associated with businesses or private individuals may be submitted as Waymarks as long as the business information is clearly disclosed and the playground is open to the general public. For example, a playground inside a fast food restaurant may be submitted but a playground at a daycare center that is used only for children in their care may not.

A picture including the playground equipment is required for creating a Waymark in this category.

Instructions for Logging Waymarks of this Category:

Variables:

Owner Information - Public/Business/Other:

Fee:

Hours:

Restrooms Available:

Separate Toddler area:

Special:

Excellent Catagory... perfect for the Geocachers when they take kids, so they can give them a break and stretch their legs or reward them for a good day out Caching.

Especially when you are caching out of town.

:ph34r: The Blue Quasar

I hope you guys can share it under the proposed GROUP feature

{Copy of post in the newer listing}

OK guys, we're set - start entering! Let's see all the cool equipment! (that climbing structure on the other thread is awesome! I want one.)

I'm looking forward to having places to stop on our next driving trip.... (that's a hint for I-75 GA-FL folks... :P )

If you have suggestions about the cateogry, please send them on.

(Thanks to everyone for all the bumps to both threads.)

~J of TeamRJMK~

Public Playgrounds