Confusion...waypoint Downloading

4x4_XJ

I am a noob and have a question I can't seem to get definate answer on.

I purchased a etrex Legend. I know I have the capability to download waypoints, but not sure how. It did not come with any software, but did include a cable. Is this what the "Geocaching Swiss Army Knife" program is for? How do I get the waypoint file from the computer to the GPS? It says nothing in my manuel about downloading waypoints. Any and all help is apperciated.

Spend $3 (for one month) or $30 (for a year) and sign up here as a premium member. Then from your profile page you can click on the Pocket Query link. That will let you do a sorted search for caches in the area you want. The result is veiwable online and can also be sent to you as a .zip file.

Download and install GSAK - search for it on Google. Once it is installed just take the .zip file you got from here and drag and drop it on the desktop icon for GSAK. That will load all the waypoints you downloaded into GSAK.

In GSAK click on the menu where it says GPS and then on Setup. Choose your brand and whether it has a USB or a Serial connection. Then Click on GPS again and then on Send Waypoints.

Down loading waypoints requires a software program.

1) Option One for a new Geocacher.

Download GPS from Grownspeak (GS) Page.

Download a LOC file from GS to EasyGPS

Then download to GPSr.

2) Option Two if you like Geocaching

Become a Premium member ($30) and order Pocket Queries (PQ)

Download and then purchase (GSAK $20) from Grownspeak page

Use GSAK to manage your caches on home computer

Download Filtered Caches to GPSr.

3) After doing Option Two you will want to go paperless and purchase a PDA (Palm or Pocket PC) If you purchase a Palm then get CacheMate $8 for managing your files on the palm.

I also have an etrex legend, I use Easy GPS and works well enough for me. Had a few bugs to work out at first, but once those were worked out no problems.

I use Netscape, had to download some program to make that work. Had to change how it read waypoints, kept putting them in wrong. Had to change it from decimal degrees to Degrees, Minutes, Minutes. Hooked up to our desktop, but installed it on a laptop we use and had to buy a serial to USB adapter to make the cable work.

Hope this helps!

Good Luck

Team TNT