Google Earth

ArtMan

Anyone been experimenting with Google Earth?

I just downloaded it yesterday and stayed up later than my bedtime playing with it. It's a very cool tool.

For our purposes, it seems like it could be quite useful. I can't compare it with commercial products, but it is a useful complement to USAPhotoMaps, which I have used. I say complement, because it lacks the very useful topo maps that are the centerpiece of USAPhotoMaps.

Although its native format for "placemarks" (its term for any point on the globe described by lat/long) are the KML and KMZ formats — I think the former is an XML format, and the latter is a zipped version — it also allows imports in other formats, including .gpx and .loc. (Support for these formats was apparently originally available only in the subscription upgrades, but is now in the free version.)

Coolness aside, though, I couldn't find any particular advantage over USAPhotoMaps. Anyone with more extensive experience care to differ?

Two exceptions: Because Google Earth supports those little stand-up flags that are familiar to you if you use Google Maps, and those flags (whatever they are properly called) can be customized, you can add lots of info, as I did — manually — in this image. As you can see, it supports HTML, including links.

1a7e887c-59f5-4838-8591-2efb54adeb79.jpg

Also, the info displayed in Google Maps can be updated in real time or periodically. One demo shows recent earthquakes. I suppose one could periodically update benchmarks as well.

-ArtMan-

I have played with it some. Nothing too serious. I hadn't plotted benchmarks with it, but have done a few other things. One disadvantage to it is that it requires an internet connection. If it can't connect, it won't even start.

As I understand it, GPSBabel is used as the backend for Google Earth (or maybe I remember wrong and it is Google Maps). GE doesn't seem to support every format that GPSBabel does though.

I have downloaded my tracks from the vacation that I just took and put them into GE. Then I flew the path. That was a lot of fun to see the places that I had been. I did cut out the plane trip part though. Even at the maximum fly speed it would have been an hour before to get there. It will be nice as they (hopefully) get higher resolution images. I think the image that is in your post is one of the lower resolution images.

I haven't figured out how to fly a track, or if it's possible in the free version. (Don't know if I'll do the upgrade, though $20 a year seems cheap enough.)

You're right, gpsbabel is part of how Google Earth parses different formats. (The actual program is a standalone element in the GE download.)

Yes, image resolution in my picture is poor. Odd, since it's not too far outside Washington, DC. In areas with higher resolution images you can make out individual people and practically tell what they're wearing. Some overseas images are really poor, though others are outstanding: I recommend Dubrovnik, Croatia.

-ArtMan-

Double click on the waypoint name and it will fly to it.

It is great I have got most of the benchmarks in KMZ files and can load anyone of the data sets I want.

(Always working on more).

Some places have better quality than others.

if you tilt and wait till the bar graph say's 100 streaming it is better.

If you do not have a DSL line it takes a while to load.

I have the Lewis and Clark files that I am working on

You can add hyperlings in side that data too.

Uh the more I go the more I find that I can do.

If you pay the 20.00 for Google Earth Plus you can add tracks and waypoints from GPS.

And it has better Images.

HMMMMMM well worth the 20.00>

Another GREAT TOOL.

You can also convert other combined programs(data) into it.

I would like to see the 400.00 dollar version.

Anybody wanna share in a program.

Maybe we could get a cost share going here.

Commmmon all you thinkers!!!!!!

If you pay the 20.00 for Google Earth Plus you can add tracks and waypoints from GPS.

The free version will allow this. The only drawback is you have to download to another application and save as a .gpx rather than connecting the gps directly to GE.

That's easy enough for me to stay with the free version (for now).

Andy Fowler has created a very nice script (See 'EarthCache Wrapup,' July 8) to display the nearest caches to wherever you're stopped on Google Earth.

I'm no programmer, but it seems it would be fairly easy for someone fluent in PHP to rewrite this to do the same for benchmarks. Andy has published the source code under the LGPH license.

Note: Geocaching.com was for a time blocking calls from his server as a violation of their terms of use (robot, spider, etc.), but apparently relented.

I think it's a pretty cool tool for the cachers, and I would be interested in checking out a benchmark version, if anyone's inclined.

-ArtMan-

Hi, ArtMan:

We caught you fishing around via remote-access to the database of the North Carolina Geodetic Survey in Raleigh. 'Fess up......Are you planning another trip through the area, or are you simply going to demo the super-classified mapping program? :D

-Paul-

Oh yeah, Paul, very stealthy visit ... since I posted a report of my doings in this very forum.

With the help of a former Soviet missile scientist (now working at a call center in Bangalore), I was able to reprogram their entire GIS system — for example, moving Cherokee County to the Outer Banks (thus satisfying the needs of those who want both a mountain vacation and a beach vacation).

But as much tampering as I did to the GIS server, you'll be gratified to know I didn't mess with the BBQ server! Some things are just too good to mess with.

-ArtMan-

Oh yeah, Paul, very stealthy visit ... since I posted a report of my doings in this very forum.

LOL, Yeah....but ten minutes after I sounded the alarm! Remember, we run a tight ship, down here. :D Meanwhile, my offer still stands: Come on down, and the BBQ dinner is on me!

-PFF-

P.S. The mountains-to-sea transfer was good. But where'd you hide the Cape Hatteras Light? The Park Service wants it back! :D

.....Opps! Never mind. It was THEY who moved it......Sorry 'bout that!

Andy Fowler has created a very nice script (See 'EarthCache Wrapup,' July 8) to display the nearest caches to wherever you're stopped on Google Earth.

God, I love this script. Stop anywhere in the world via Google Earth and nearby caches pop up. Although Andy's server glitches up now & again...

If Geocaching.com was smart, they should add this feature to their Paid Members. :huh:

Better Server/Bandwidth.

With GC's searches, you're limited to a single area, here just move around, and more caches appear.

It's also a great way of finding caches along a route..

Show me another way of doing that here...

James.

Coolness aside, though, I couldn't find any particular advantage over USAPhotoMaps. Anyone with more extensive experience care to differ?

Well, I'll argue somewhat in the other direction. I kinda like the GE interface and it's ease of use, but the one critical component that it just plain sucks in is coverage. While the maps in USAPhotomaps might be old at times, most of the country has 1 meter maps available. While GE has worldwide coverage of some sort, it's amazing just how small of an area gets the 1m coverage. In the Lansing, MI area, it's all but useless (ironically, where I live just south of lansing is covered, but most of the city itself is not).

The charging for the gpsbabel features is a bit disappointing too.