Good Jeep Karma?

Bear Paughs

I've been very vocal about my disapproval of hoarding jeeps, keeping them permanently, moving them overseas before the contest is over, etc. I haven't been at this long at all, but the jeep contest is one of those aspects of geocaching that I've found really enjoyable, as have my kids. We've found two to date. We've taken our pictures for the contest and gotten the jeeps back in circulation. We recognize that the jeeps, while neat, are not ours to keep, nor ours to borrow for too long a time frame, and that others need to be given the opportunity to play.

This morning I received a package containing a Garmin eTrex Legend C and a letter from Jeep. My photo was one of the three winners for the July contest! Good Jeep karma? I'd like to think so. Of the votes my picture received, I don't know where they came from -- I imagine that some liked my picture, sure, but I wonder if there were any votes I received just as a show of support of my opinions regarding the handling of WJTBs. In either case, I want to say a great big thank you to anyone who voted for me!

Now I'm bowing out of the hunt for the WJTBs (although I really want to find a yellow one still!) I have my icon, I have my prize, I don't need to take these from caches anymore. If I happen upon one in a cache, I may do a retrieve and drop just to show those I've found in my stats, but I won't be taking it with me. I'll be leaving them for someone else to pick up and have their shot at it. It's the right thing to do.

Maybe there's rampant hoarding and such of the jeeps that goes on, but I'm proud that I've played fairly while I've been at it. I hope some of this jeep karma rubs off on the posters on here (and you know who you are!) with whom I've enjoyed discussing the whole controversy surrounding the Jeeps and who I feel truly deserve it.

(AtlantaGal -- you can count on at least one vote for August!  :D )

Thanks! And it's nice to see someone familiar win :D

Too bad my August photo isn't as good as my July one was (eventhough I hiked 2 miles RT to take the pic). I chose it because the detail on the jeep is amazing (in its original size). I shot 75 pics of 3 different campsites. Some were a lot more interesting, but I didn't like how the jeep looked in the pictures. From the rules, the "voting only counts for 25% of the judging". I guess the judges don't care about the quality of the image. I'm lacking in the "creative" and "humor" department too I suppose. Oh well.

Maybe my September pic will creative enough to win. I'm taking "Hartley" out to Las Vegas the week of 9/4. Just have to see what the subcategory requirements are for the Sept photos. From caching out there previously, I know of some great 4x4 off-roading areas. So maybe that will work for "trail rated." Guess we'll see.

I'll submit my entry from out there and leave Hartley in a cache in the area for someone else to find.

Edited by AtlantaGal

I love your August photo! I think the scenery is beautiful -- makes me want to pack up and go camping right now.

My July photo was fuzzy after the resizing, so I guess it's true they don't care about the quality. I was actually much happier with my August entry. I love to dream about the Jeep Commander, but frankly I don't think I really have a shot at that with my July photo. But I am very happy about the prize I already won, so all is good.

I would love to know who the other winners are -- it would be nice if they were as you said, someone familiar. Anyway, I'll keep rooting for you -- good luck!

I don't really believe in "karma"... all said and done, I've gotten a few jeeps, and distributed them, most ended up with people that were very appreciative of the chance just to log one, contest or no.

Usually I don't waste my time with contests, because no matter how good of an essay I write or picture I take, the general population is never in agreement that it is. I like contests where I can control the outcome, no matter what the odds, but in contests where other people control it, I've already lost.

We just found our first Yellow Jeep TB two weeks ago and then last Sunday, the white ones started showing up in Reno and we were lucky enough to find one way up on a mountian top.

I was wondering if anyone actually won the contests and what they got from Jeep when they did. Congrats to you and I am glad to see that there are people like you out there to make the sport a stronger one for others. Good Job!

Bahamadiver

<_< When the Jeep contest started this year I told my 7 year old daughter about it and she liked the added thrill in looking/and finding one. We took the pictures as per contest rules....everything is fine, we're having fun. Now no Jeeps are located within an hours drive....which I understand will happen, no big deal. The Jeeps that are located around this area are a good distance away, and we have made special trips to go look for them but there are several that haven't been logged and we have made "wasted" trips for no reason. ( Sure we found the cache had a great time, but for a kid it's hard to understand why it wasn't there and why it says it's there a month after we have been there)

The Jeep deal works as for advertising for Jeep.....my daughter now points out a Jeep going down the road, but I won't be hunting them anymore, I think people get to carried away about the contest and forget why we play this game in the first place.

Maybe only showing the pick ups and not where they are dropped and make it a total surprisewhen you do find it would add to it. There is no real fix for the hoarding that is going on....so I'm getting back to the real reason we geocache.....getting out, seeing things we normally wouldn't see. and spending time with my daughter.

Congrats.

I know there is going to be some jeeps that just dissappear, and last year I never had any real shot to get a yellow jeep as they were so scarce, but this year the jeep situation seems to be better than average. About 1 out of every 20 caches in the area has a white jeep in it right now. There are also at least a half dozen more jeeps that change hands on a regular basis and accumulate miles visiting new caches. It also seems a number of people have dropped off jeeps in the area on vacation to bolster the jeeps that Starbrand and TH&G spread around at the beginning of the contest. At the going rate, anyone in the area that wants a white jeep will get a new one each month. I guess the trick is to keep them moving after the photos are taken so they stay in circulation. Anyway, just wanted to express that not everyone dealing with this contest is ruining it - in some places its actually going pretty well.

KKTH3 -- I'm so glad to hear some areas aren't having the problems others are. I love hearing stories like yours! It helps to restore some of the faith I have in my fellow human beings that seems to diminish when all the not-so-good things happen with the jeeps. I've been very lucky to find the two I did. Actually, the one I placed a few days ago is still in the cache and there's another in the area that was placed the same day or the day after. This may be the first time there are two available at the same time in our area (beyond distribution at an event) and that they have sat there for more than a day (or even a few hours). So if anyone can get to the Binghamton NY area, there's a couple around here! I hope this, and the things you've noted about your area, is a good sign that the fever is lessening so more people will be able to participate.

On a side note -- I love your August pic and I have those same cutouts or stickers or whatever! While healing from an injury and unable to do anything more than urban micros, I was trying to figure out just how I could take a picture within this month's themes. I was trying all sorts of things to fashion a miniature campground in my backyard. I just couldn't get it to work to my satisfaction. The scrapbooking theme is awesome. (Ooh! and I especially LOVE the hiking boots on the jeep! VERY cute!)

I didn't really have a clue how to thank everyone for voting for me also, so I'll just have to borrow Bear Paughs' thread and do it here as well. If'n, ya don't mind... :lol:

I was also fortunate enough to have won a Garmin Legend C for my July entry, and I deeply appreciate the support I received from those of you who chose to vote so.

I've also been vocal about Jeep hording, although I did so more sarcastically than anything with the "Seven Steps" thread. So, I would like to think that in speaking up, we're having at least a little impact towards allowing more people to join in the contest.

I tried to send a sincere "Thank You" email to Jeep and Groundspeak, but I don't know if it was sent to the proper address. Perhaps I'll write a letter instead. Regardless, if anyone from Jeep or Groundspeak happens to read this thread, you have my family's sincere thanks and appreciation for providing geocachers with this opportunity for fun and competition.

Congratulations Bear Paughs and Impala Bob as well!

Sincerely,

Yime

Yeah, YemonYime! [try saying that 3x fast :lol: ] Congratulations! I'm so glad to hear you won, too! Although... this officially puts to rest any chance I'd have of winning the Jeep -- your picture is outstanding! I can live with that. I'm very thankful to have won the Legend C.

P.S. Are you in love with your new toy as much as I am with mine?