Geocoin Displays

Roving Land Sharks

Has anyone run into a display rack that holds geocoins in coin containers. I like keeping my geocoins in Air-Tite cointainers (The US coin collector side of me). All the racks I have seen won't work with the extra thickness from the containers. I am seeing container sizes from 6mm all the way up to 9mm (Vacman coin) with an average of 7 to 8 mm.

Thanks for any info.

JimT

Terrible Ts

Has anyone run into a display rack that holds geocoins in coin containers. I like keeping my geocoins in Air-Tite cointainers (The US coin collector side of me). All the racks I have seen won't work with the extra thickness from the containers. I am seeing container sizes from 6mm all the way up to 9mm (Vacman coin) with an average of 7 to 8 mm.

Thanks for any info.

JimT

Terrible Ts

This coin display is very flexible with the size of coins that can be used. the draw back is the cost. I can not afford to place all my coins in this style of rack. So I am converting all my coins to a mead zippered three ring binder with vinyl sleeves and coin flips. If some one is interested in purchasing the style of rack below, let me know and perhaps I can sell you mine at a good deal ;) .

animateddisplay.gif

Has anyone run into a display rack that holds geocoins in coin containers.  I like keeping my geocoins in Air-Tite cointainers (The US coin collector side of me).  All the racks I have seen won't work with the extra thickness from the containers.  I am seeing container sizes from 6mm all the way up to 9mm (Vacman coin) with an average of 7 to 8 mm.

Thanks for any info.

JimT

Terrible Ts

This coin display is very flexible with the size of coins that can be used. the draw back is the cost. I can not afford to place all my coins in this style of rack. So I am converting all my coins to a mead zippered three ring binder with vinyl sleeves and coin flips. If some one is interested in purchasing the style of rack below, let me know and perhaps I can sell you mine at a good deal :huh: .

animateddisplay.gif

Where did you get the sleeves at to put in your binder?

Has anyone run into a display rack that holds geocoins in coin containers.  I like keeping my geocoins in Air-Tite cointainers (The US coin collector side of me).  All the racks I have seen won't work with the extra thickness from the containers.  I am seeing container sizes from 6mm all the way up to 9mm (Vacman coin) with an average of 7 to 8 mm.

Thanks for any info.

JimT

Terrible Ts

This coin display is very flexible with the size of coins that can be used. the draw back is the cost. I can not afford to place all my coins in this style of rack. So I am converting all my coins to a mead zippered three ring binder with vinyl sleeves and coin flips. If some one is interested in purchasing the style of rack below, let me know and perhaps I can sell you mine at a good deal :anitongue: .

animateddisplay.gif

Where did you get the sleeves at to put in your binder?

Local coin shop will carry all necessary equipment to carry them in a binder. That would include the Cowen sleeves and the cardboard flips that hold the coins.

Easy if you have the right tools and know how. :rolleyes: More than just a table saw for cutting the pieces to size. Don't forget the router table and router for the all edges, the biscuit joiner for connecting the pieces, the sander for sanding all the pieces, the clamps for holding in place till the glue sets, and the know how. This is why they are about $70 on CoinsandPins.com. If anyone wanted one made though I would be willing to make it for less than what they are charging, just email me.

Here is a shelf that I have added inserts to. I finished the inserts just in time for it to be slightly overfull :blink:. The shelf was made by my father-in-law with a groove in each shelf to hold collector plates. We used it as a CD rack until we bought a new desk for the computer.

I didn't want to modify the shelf itself, so I made the 3 three-tiered shelf inserts with grooves for geocoins. Most levels have a narrow slot for the coins. The front row on the bottom shelf has an extra wide slot for the air-tites. There is a row with an in-between width to accomodate the varying thicknesses of coins.

Now what am I gonna do with future trades :o

SmallerCoinsOnRack.jpg

Here is a shelf that I have added inserts to. I finished the inserts just in time for it to be slightly overfull :D. The shelf was made by my father-in-law with a groove in each shelf to hold collector plates. We used it as a CD rack until we bought a new desk for the computer.

I didn't want to modify the shelf itself, so I made the 3 three-tiered shelf inserts with grooves for geocoins. Most levels have a narrow slot for the coins. The front row on the bottom shelf has an extra wide slot for the air-tites. There is a row with an in-between width to accomodate the varying thicknesses of coins.

Now what am I gonna do with future trades ;)

Man, oh man... do I ever miss my woodshop. ;)

There was once a link posted where you could buy the round (or square) plastic coin cases. Anyone remember what that link is?

Thanks!

EDIT: I think I found it: Air-Tites

Way cheaper HERE if you want to save a few bucks. I got the standard storage box (plastic) and the AirTites with card inserts. Excellent service, stuff got here safe and sound very quickly. I'll be shopping there again....

Wohoooooooo!  I made the display!  How much does it cost to move to the top shelf :D  (It is crooked, can you adjust it ;) )

I adjusted it when I added the Camp Explorer and Ohio coins that came today :D. I didn't really use any criteria except that my coin is top center :D and the air-tites are bottom-front. Also, the Migo series (including CoyChev) are all together. Some coins have to go in the wide groove in the middle-front row due to their thickness (CampExplorer got squeezed in there somehow along with Vacman, Shop99er, et al).

You might notice the two different colored GWIII coins in the top-front row next to KE ;)

Edited by pdxmarathonman
Wohoooooooo!  I made the display!  How much does it cost to move to the top shelf B)  (It is crooked, can you adjust it :o )

I adjusted it when I added the Camp Explorer and Ohio coins that came today :grin:. I didn't really use any criteria except that my coin is top center B) and the air-tites are bottom-front. Also, the Migo series (including CoyChev) are all together. Some coins have to go in the wide groove in the middle-front row due to their thickness (CampExplorer got squeezed in there somehow along with Vacman, Shop99er, et al).

You might notice the two different colored GWIII coins in the top-front row next to KE :o

I was more intrigued by that one on the bottom left.... :o

what size of air tite containers fit the coins?

That seems like such a simple question. But it really depends on the coin. There are way more diameters and thicknesses than I ever imagined.

I think most air-tite sites tell which size coins they hold - but that may not be much help.

The holders you see in my picture holding the Oregon, Canada and California coins are too thin to hold most other coins (including the Alaska coin), but they're perfect for those coins B)

Edited by pdxmarathonman

The nice thing about JP's besides the price is that they don't punch out the center of the foam rings.

Since the coins being made now are of different sizes, I've found it easier to just buy the X 40mm Airtites and cut the foam ring to the size of the coin.

The only coins that I haven't put into Air-Tites are the Vacman and German ones. The Vacman has stood up without a protective case, but I'm not sure what I'm going to do about the German one yet.

I picked up the compass blade at a craft store. It turned out to be to small for another project I was working on, but it works great on the Air-Tite foam insert... as long as you have the center piece to keep its form.

WhooHoo! I made the Rack (second sections, top shelf, between FaceDances and AL)

Aw, but it's the color GOWT side...(sigh) I guess I'm forever type-cast now. :lol:

I've bought 2 of these, and have been happy with them. Can't see both sides without opening it, but it's cheap and looks nice reclined on a shelf.

(okay, insert your "_____________ is cheap and looks nice reclined on a shelf!" jokes here. I'll save mine in case she's lurking the forums! :lol:

Edited by Spencersb
Here is a shelf that I have added inserts to. I finished the inserts just in time for it to be slightly overfull...

Nice rack, pdxmarathonman!

I think I'm already -almost- on the top shelf...

I had to move your coin down to the bottom row (aka the Front row). I put it in an air-tite container. It must be plated with genuine silver since it would tarnish in the open air. Now you're on the same row as the original Moun10Bike coin.

I had to move your coin down to the bottom row (aka the Front row).  I put it in an air-tite container.  It must be plated with genuine silver since it would tarnish in the open air.  Now you're on the same row as the original Moun10Bike coin.

We want a new pic!

OK - Here is the rack with the Geo-Bone, C4C, AK-Au, and JayBee coins. I had to reshuffle and demote duplicate USA and Calgary coins to the flat section. I flipped donbadabon's around for the geo-peace sign and spencersb's so that I see his geo-handle (I can see the tennessee image on another coin!) And I have straightened few coins since reviewing the photo :P I also put the Texas coins into smaller air-tites without the foam ring in order to accomodate 1 more coin on that row.

I am thinking about putting some hooks below the top shelf for Germany and the GeoBone to hang from.

SmallerCoinsTake2.jpg

SmallerZoom.jpg

Edited by pdxmarathonman
You just had to rub that in our face didn't you  :ph34r: !

I thought you'd like to see what they look like all together :)

And thats your story and your sticking to it? :)

Edit to add:

Yes I am jealous, however that is not to go without saying that the collection you have got there is an expensive set!! :P

Edited by Damenace

I didn't realize that the Fall was out already......

and....You need another new pic...gotta see where I fit in.....hopefully not on the floor below the case  B)

I got an early "release" of the coin. Yesterday was the day of the event. Of course, as mentioned earlier there was a premium associated with getting one of the first pumpkin coins B)

I don't think I will post another pic until I get rack #2 finished. I am sure to p'o somebody (I will say that LoriDarlin's is on the 2nd row of the top section along with the 3 colors of AtlantaGal coins B) )

The MIGO coins aren't even on the shelf right now B)

PDXMM...so are you making these shelves from scratch or are you modifying something that already exists/is available to buy?

I built the three 3-tiered "inserts" to sit on the shelf built by my father-in-law. I am building a longer 3-tiered free-standing piece that will sit on top of the roll-top desk. It will have the same capacity as the existing shelf shown in the pics.