White Jeep Horders? Why

whoknows

Maybe he hasn't taken the time to read the rules? go to this link and check out this cache that he took down because it was on private land. The log by Airraidfan is really funny, but I'm sure it was a tense moment for him at the time. ;)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-973ae5e7e115

I'm not chasing the Jeeps anymore either there is none close by or you drive an hour to the cache and someone has taken it and not logged it as a find (which is really odd since you have to log it to enter the contest and get credit for finding it). It disappoints my daughter to much to get there and not find what's supposed to be there. It'd be differant if it was found just before we got there and they didn't have time to log it yet, but I've been watching two I made long trips for and they are still listed in the cache.

5 is nothing;

Here

is an "event" cache, which is now archived and was held on June 25th.

Seven WJTB- ALL with 0.00 miles are listed as being in the cache, presumably All in his possession. 2 More are listed as in his possession, with some mileage.

The host has "found" 32 WJTB's in all. 24 started out "dropped" at this event .

A glance thru them shows 17 more with 0.00 miles, although in the hands of other cachers.

He was helping distribute the jeeps for my local org. - The same thing happened with the YJTB.

It doesnt make much sense for Groundspeak to work with organizations to get these distributed when the people involved have proven that they arent going to move them, hoard them, etc-

I gave up hunting them in MN-

If I want one, I head for WI to search for it.

Edited by Pto
hy is it the event host's fault if the people who take the Jeeps don't move them along?

I didnt say it was.

The Jeeps still on that page could very well be in the hands of seven different people who attended the event. How is it that you know they're sitting in the hands of the event organizers?

What difference does it make? Why wouldnt the people log them if they took them?

Everyone knows there is a Promo going on.

Besides that was June25 - its now Aug 25.

For someone "in charge" of distributing them, this is proof again that they arent moving.

0.00 miles is 0 miles no matter whos desk they are sitting on.

In your first post, you said that the 7 Jeeps were "presumably" still in the event organizer's possession. If true, that'd be wrong, so I asked how you knew. Now you say it doesn't make any difference -- that somehow the person who was asked to distribute the Jeeps is somehow then personally responsible for their welfare from that point forward.

I distributed approximately 300 Jeeps at GeoWoodstock and the Midwest GeoBash, plus an additional 180 in my home territory. I guess I have a lot of geocachers I need to go visit and shake them down to get them Jeeps on the move again! ;);)

Boy, that is a stretch of logic....

Congrats on your Superb job of distributing the Jeeps to your Fellow Cachers-

Im SURE they appreciate it, and are happy to have the chance to participate.

We could really use someone like you around here.

My point is, at least those 7 WJTB's - ARE NOT MOVING, have Not Moved.

The organizer brought them to the event. Where'd they go? 2 Months ago?

If he doesnt have them, of course its not his fault. I'd bet my very last dollar they werent distributed.

Whatever- I shouldnt even bother because that is the way things run around here.

about 1 out of every 20 caches in this area has a white jeep sitting in it right now. Plus there are a few that move from cache to cache and get picked up by new cachers every couple weeks or so. I had originally expected that the light population would make it harder to get a hold of one of these jeeps, but apparently its been easier than most areas.

I wouldn't blame the distributor, and certainly not without some kind of proof. One thing I will say, is that I've seen a lot of bugs (of all types) languishing in event caches long after they are over, and in many cases archived. I think it would be a good idea if when jeeps and other bugs are distributed at an event that someone keep track of who they go to -- username, email address, tag number, bug name and description. That way if bugs are not logged out of an event, at least they could be politely contacted and given a gentle reminder that they haven't logged the bug yet and how to do so. It's only a suggestion on how to improve accountability.

I have wondered if some of these are not logged out purposefully by would-be hoarders who notice the opportunity to get their greedy little hands on a jeep to keep without having anything connecting its disappearance to themselves. I'm not saying that it happens, it's just something that I've wondered about because I have seen so many bugs that never left events.

The organizer brought them to the event.  Where'd they go?  2 Months ago?

If he doesnt have them, of course its not his fault.  I'd bet my very last dollar they werent distributed. 

Whatever-  I shouldnt even bother because that is the way things run around here.

A total of 24 WJTBs were brought to the event. Andena, Burgeis, Corley, Corliss, Delmont, Diamanda, Elnora, France, Garrman, Holt, Inda, Jaena, Jeran, Josalyn, Kadie, Knocks, Laurena, Macie, Maryon, Milman, Prestin, Rhodes, Sigehere, Westun.

It looks like to me that these WJTBs got distributed. If 7 of the 24 aren't moving how is it the event organizers fault?

I distributed 21 jeeps at local events and placing them myself. Last time I looked them all up - 4 hadn't moved at all. Just what happens.

I also sent 4 to another area cacher for distribution and he has had health problems that prevented them from getting out (severe). Just found that out but I will get them back this weekend and get them moving. Unforseen and unintended. Nobody hoarding them.

It is just a game - breathe deep.

WH, that's exactly what I meant, and I see that it worked out great! I can see that all the jeeps you distributed are accounted for, something that I think is quite rare. They may not have moved, but that just goes to show that you can't hold the distributor responsible. What happens when it's out of your hands happens, but at least if there's blame to be placed it is correctly assigned.

BTW -- I read your event listing and love how you carried it out. Very creative and fair, and it sounds fun, too! Curious, anybody miss out on one at an earlier stop be there to greet you when you arrived at the next one?

I have wondered if some of these are not logged out purposefully by would-be hoarders who notice the opportunity to get their greedy little hands on a jeep to keep without having anything connecting its disappearance to themselves. I'm not saying that it happens, it's just something that I've wondered about because I have seen so many bugs that never left events.

Interesting- Ive had the same thought. Its quite common around here.

It looks like to me that these WJTBs got distributed. If 7 of the 24 aren't moving how is it the event organizers fault?

These are still "at the event":Corley, Delmont, Elnora, France, Garrman, Jaena,

Milman.

The organizer was the person to first grab them, and bring them to the event. "Dropping" them at his own event, and having them still appear at the event would seem to indicate he still had them, at least to me- Im 100% SURE he didnt leave them at the bar. Its possible those 7 people forgot to "grab" them- but for 2 months?

The ones picked up from the event, with 0.00 miles on them isnt the fault of the event organizer, but the people that took them (hoarding, or ?)

At my distribution event, I wrote down the Jeep name, tracking number and the cacher I gave it too.

WH- Great idea! Organized and fair, how it should be. Too bad neither apply to much around here.

Getting them Out of Your hands is the important task - What happens to them After they leave your hands is Not your problem. Leaving them sit on a 2 month old, archived cache page, which you created (And hosted event) should be a problem. I doubt the WJTB's are "lost".

Some people around here have a grudge against the whole Jeep TB promo, and some even vowed to grab and ditch jeeps in last years contest, so I doubt this year its any different

Anyway, like I said - My chances are alot better if I just head to WI (which I do 3-5times/mo)

Whats really frustrating is that quite a few of the Jeeps I handed out are still being held by the people I originally gave them too.

One part of me wants to send them an email kindly asking them to move it along. Another part wants to keep my nose out of it so as not to stir up trouble.

good luck with that, wh. it seems that some people have had no trouble admitting that they intend to keep the WJTB. they'll just tell you to go pound sand. makes me wonder how they'll be able to show their faces at future events, when they have to socialize with other local cachers who know they're hoarding these TB's.

<snip>

These are still "at the event":Corley, Delmont, Elnora, France, Garrman, Jaena,

Milman.

The organizer was the person to first grab them, and bring them to the event. "Dropping" them at his own event, and having them still appear at the event would seem to indicate he still had them, at least to me- Im 100% SURE he didnt leave them at the bar. Its possible those 7 people forgot to "grab" them- but for 2 months?

The ones picked up from the event, with 0.00 miles on them isnt the fault of the event organizer, but the people that took them (hoarding, or ?)

<snip>

Are you saying that the event organizer needs to mark these WJTBs as location UNKNOWN?

I think it would be a good idea if when jeeps and other bugs are distributed at an event that someone keep track of who they go to -- username, email address, tag number, bug name and description. That way if bugs are not logged out of an event, at least they could be politely contacted and given a gentle reminder that they haven't logged the bug yet and how to do so.

That's what I did at my event and it worked like a charm. Without sending any emails only 1 bug and 2 Jeeps were left on the cache page. After sending an email a few weeks later to the people who had taken them everything was logged out. Some of the Jeeps still have zero miles, but that's not my fault. I did my part in distributing them and have better things to worry about now. :laughing:

Here is a good place to start!

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....c0-08c333eaf484

he's got 5 held hostage, anyone got more than that?

Why are you saying he is holding those jeeps hostage?

For the record, those 5 jeeps were placed in an event, which I attended, last night. Being one of the last to leave, I know for a fact that each of those jeeps (plus a couple of others dropped into the event -- one by me) were taken by cachers.

Given that many of us didn't leave the parking lot of the event until after 10pm and that some of us then went caching, there are still logs to be written and bugs to be picked up.

Here is a good place to start! 

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/Default....c0-08c333eaf484

he's got 5 held hostage, anyone got more than that?

Why are you saying he is holding those jeeps hostage?

For the record, those 5 jeeps were placed in an event, which I attended, last night. Being one of the last to leave, I know for a fact that each of those jeeps (plus a couple of others dropped into the event -- one by me) were taken by cachers.

Given that many of us didn't leave the parking lot of the event until after 10pm and that some of us then went caching, there are still logs to be written and bugs to be picked up.

To be fair to the OP, there were at least a couple that he had in posession for nearly two months before dropping in the Meet & Greet (which had not been done yet when he made his post)..... To be fair to the subject of the original post, I don't think all of them qualified as being held hostage as they had only been in his posession a couple weeks it appears.

Anyway, I'm glad to see jeeps moving!

I think it would be a good idea if when jeeps and other bugs are distributed at an event that someone keep track of who they go to -- username, email address, tag number, bug name and description.  That way if bugs are not logged out of an event, at least they could be politely contacted and given a gentle reminder that they haven't logged the bug yet and how to do so.

That's what I did at my event and it worked like a charm. Without sending any emails only 1 bug and 2 Jeeps were left on the cache page. After sending an email a few weeks later to the people who had taken them everything was logged out. Some of the Jeeps still have zero miles, but that's not my fault. I did my part in distributing them and have better things to worry about now. :laughing:

I did notice that. Nice work, Vargseld. I didn't attend your event (I think we'd only been geocaching a week or less when it took place) but I've read the logs and was wishing we had gone. It sounded like you put on a great event.

The organizer brought them to the event. Where'd they go? 2 Months ago?

If he doesnt have them, of course its not his fault. I'd bet my very last dollar they werent distributed.

Whatever- I shouldnt even bother because that is the way things run around here.

No, that isn't the way things run around here. Once they are distributed it is up to the individual cacher to place the jeep in a new cache. Is it our fault that people decide to find some odd attachment to them, to think they are so valuable they can't possibly let them go? If it were up to me, considering all the angst that these contests cause, I'd say please forget about having another one. You do NOT need to find a jeep to enter the contest, you do not need to hold onto the jeep to enter the contest. Why do poeple hold them? I don't have a clue. So I'm not even going try to guess. Just keep looking, not everyone is a "jeep hoarder". Sometimes it's best just back away from the computer and go outside. And stop placing blame where it doesnt' belong.

My guess is that those who picked up the jeeps from the event are waiting and giving others who took the nubmers down a chance to log them out and back in before sending them on their way. That happens all the time at events.

I think one reason people like these forums is to vent......and I think the original poster vented....I know I vented on mine but it wasn't like it was building up and I had to say something or bust......lol I could care less about the contest.....my daughter and I enjoyed the "extra" thing to hunt and find. She thought we was famous for having a picture on the web.....lol. That's really why I do any of this......for her enjoyment. But explaining to her why people hold on to them for a few months is hard to explain. We use travel bugs to teach her where the states are and differant things about the state a bug we once had is located.....kinda hard when it's not moving. No big deal we took the Jeeps off my watch list and only watch the regular tb now....... :laughing:

Like the cache reviewers and forum moderators, Jeep distributors were all volunteers. We volunteered time, gas and even money in an attempt to get these Jeeps out over as wide of an area as possible. I only had 36 Jeeps to distribute which was small potatoes compared to the hundreds others had to hand out.

We cannot control what happens to the Jeeps when they leave our hands and perhaps you could cut them a little slack. They are all to be congratulated and thanked for their efforts in trying to help the game for everybody and not blamed for the actions of a few.

:rolleyes:August 26 by Genghis Khan (794 found)

Rode in with the horde and had no trouble finding the place - thanks for the parking coordinates! Easy find, since we had torches. Took: White Jeep TB, 47 virgins, 322 horses and all the food we could carry. Left: rubble. Thanks for the cache - the first one in this, my 32nd country pillaged. See the map on my profile page.

:PAugust 26 by Genghis Khan (794 found)

Rode in with the horde and had no trouble finding the place - thanks for the parking coordinates! Easy find, since we had torches. Took: White Jeep TB, 47 virgins, 322 horses and all the food we could carry. Left: rubble. Thanks for the cache - the first one in this, my 32nd country pillaged. See the map on my profile page.

:rolleyes::P:P Too funny!

What I want to know is why are we discussing what WJTB holders have in common with Mongols?

(It's spelled "hoarders."  Sorry.  I can only take so many "discretes" and "looses" every week before I finally lose it.)

:P:P:P Are you trying to infringe on my right to :rolleyes: mispell :P ??? :P :P :P

Malicious hoarding can be attributed to effective marketing. I think we have brainless tendencies to want to possess things that we feel are significant, important, etc.

Not too different from Genghis Khan who wanted to hoard the entire continent. :P

I still say that if he had 5 normal travel bugs held "hostage" no one would care. It seems kind of silly to only worry about Jeeps. Lets start policing the regular bugs, too. I bet their owners are more upset than Jeep is. :(

I disagree.

Even though the WJTB's belong to the Jeep Corporation, they were released for the enjoyment of all cachers. When someone steals a Jeep, they are really steaing from the whole community not just an individual.