Gpsbabel 1.2.7 / Macgpsbabel Drive

Today I released GPSBabel 1.2.7 in source form and as a Windows executable. It's a small bump from 1.2.6, but since I never officially announced that, I'll defer to the longer list of changes. Highlights include Mapsource/GDB, improved KML for Google Earth, advanced track processing, Forerunner 301, Magellan Explorist [456]00 support - including geocaching mode, TomTom support, and a bucket full of new formats, fixes, and features.

The program is, as always, freely downloadable from http://www.gpsbabel.org so donations of time, equipment, and funding are always welcome. This project has grown way beyond what I imagined in '02 when I released it and its appetite for time (development, support, and infrastructure) and hardware appears unbounded.

Notice that there isn't a MacGPSBabel build since 1.2.5. Even though MacGPSBabel is the only program that does Garmin/USB on OS/X (even Mapsource and VPC don't get this...), the only program on OS/X that does Explorist, and the only program on OSX that supports a bunch of PC and Mac formats, it really needs someone to drive it.

JeremyA's done an amazing job on the Applescript and helping with support so far (everybody say Thank you, Jeremy!), but he's apparently out of gas, so we need a new driver.. It needs someone with programmer background, access to a dozen or so different GPSes for testing, and a Mac to handle support, testing, and the infrequent release. If you're that person, please step up. I have the first two and am willing to become more of a "Mac guy" (Operating Systems are kind of a hobby of mine...) for the third if necessary, but I'm not willing to fund it out of my own pocket for a free program. If nobody else steps up to take over MacGPSBabel, I'll just keep the 1.2.5 version up as it's been pretty popular and has proven robust..

When I see a donation rate on the project (be sure to mention OSX or Mac in your comment) that would cover a Mini, I'll add that to the fixtures at Lipe Labs (where I already test GPSBabel on about a half dozen OS/build combinations on many GPSes) and take a more aggressive role in OSX development and support. With 700 users a month it really shouldn't be that hard to find a new lead or to fund a Mini.

Enjoy the new release.

Sincerely,

Chief Babel Head