Etrex Vista Vs. Vista C

hamgran

My Vista, after almost three years of heavy use, has just recently started having problems, so I'm thinking of using this as an occasion to upgrade to a Vista C. I like the design and the way the Vista operates, and assumed that a Vista C would be identical, except for the colour. However, a friend tells me that she was informed by a sales rep that these two units are totally different in operation. Is this true? I don't see any reference to this on the Garmin site.

Thanks!

- hamgran

There are some differences that bothered me the first several trips out with the new Vista C. However, I always resist change . . . :anitongue:

I've gotten used to the way the Vista C does things now . . . so if I got out my old Vista, I would probably look at it and say, "Well, why does it work like that?" <_<

My Vista, after almost three years of heavy use, has just recently started having problems, so I'm thinking of using this as an occasion to upgrade to a Vista C.  I like the design and the way the Vista operates, and assumed that a Vista C would be identical, except for the colour.  However, a friend tells me that she was informed by a sales rep that these two units are totally different in operation.  Is this true?  I don't see any reference to this on the Garmin site.

Thanks!

- hamgran

They're not totally different, but there are some basic differences in button-presses that take a little getting used to. If you switch back and forth between the two frequently, the differences will drive you a bit nuts.

The most noticeable differences for me:

• The "Find" button: on the Vista, you do a quick press-and-release to bring up the Find page. On the Vista C, it's a press-and-hold.
  • Accessing the options on each page: on the Vista, each page has a top menu-bar with two on-screen buttons in the upper-right corner; selecting the leftmost of those two will pop up the list of options for that page. This top bar does not exist in the Vista C; to access the options for a given page, you press the Find button briefly. (That's why the actual "Find" operation was changed to a press-and-hold -- it's because the quick press is used for accessing options.)

There are lots of other differences, but those are the ones that trip me up the most when I'm switching back and forth between the two.

(edit: but Miragee and Sputnik57 are quite right -- it's an all-around better unit, even if it does take a bit of adjustment to get used to it. The only drawback to the Vista C vs. the Vista is that the C can only hold 500 waypoints, compared to the Vista's 1000.)

Edited by the hermit crabs

Some other differences:

• screen shape: the screen on the Vista C is shorter and a little wider than that of the Vista. At first I was dismayed, thinking I'd be getting less viewable map, but it's actually better on the C -- there's no top menu bar wasting map space, and a more squarish map is more useful (to me) than a tall skinny map.
  • battery compartment: it's much tighter in the C than in the regular non-C Vistas/Legend/Venture we have had; our C has never had the occasional loose-battery-connection shutdowns that the non-C models are sometimes prone to.
  • quicker satellite acquisition: the C acquires satellites noticeably faster than the non-C.
  • holding satellite lock: the C holds its lock better under heavy tree cover or inside a car than the non-C.
  • less sensitive to position or being covered: I can stick the C in my pocket or hold it vertically and still keep a lock; the Vista prefers to be held perfectly flat and uncovered.
  • customizable pages: you choose to remove or reorder the pages on the C (for instance, I am rarely interested in altitude, so I took that page out of the rotation; I can still access it from the main menu if I want to see it). You can also customize the data fields that are shown on most of the pages on the C. Very handy.
  • pan map: on the C, any time the map page is showing, you can pan it just by pushing the click-stick. on the non-C, you have to go through the extra step of selecting "pan map" from the options menu. (sounds like a little thing, but it makes me so grumpy when I go back to the non-C vista and have to "ask permission" to pan the map! :anitongue: )
  • extra text with waypoints: with the C you can include a text comment field with each waypoint. I use it to include the cache type, size, and D/T ratings (I edit it in easygps before downloading them to the C).
  • geocaching mode: the C has this feature which you may or may not find useful. If you tell it to find a geocache, it goes into "geocache mode" which includes a "Found" button on the compass page. When you find the cache, you can press "Found" and it then brings up the nearest unfound cache and asks if you want to go there next. It also changes the icon from the closed-box "geocache" to the open-box "geocache found". In geocaching mode, the compass page also has a "Note" button that lets you see the text-comment associated with the cache. So if you're wandering around and start wondering "what was I looking for again?" you can press "note" and say "oh yeah, it's a 2/1 micro."
  • games: the C has some built-in games, which I have never tried out.

I'm sure there are more differences too; those are the ones I can think of offhand.

I'm sure there are more differences too; those are the ones I can think of offhand.

Autorouting (a biggie)

Tidal predictions

USB instead of serial (24 MB of maps load in 3 minutes instead of 50)

Audible alarms

This was the few I could think of.

Edited by Rubberhead

Autorouting (a biggie)

Tidal predictions

USB instead of serial (24 MB of maps load in 3 minutes instead of 50)

Audible alarms

This was the few I could think of.

Looks like I get to bump a thread that happened over a year ago.....

I am looking to upgrade to the Vista C from a Vista as well, and the differences that were described in this thread were extremly helpful.

One question....about the part where it says USB instead of serial. Can I use the same COM cable that I am using for my Vista to download waypoints into my Vista C? I am a little illiterate when it comes to computer gadgets so forgive me, I am still learning.....I don't have to get another cable do I?

No. The B&W unit use serial transfer to a custom Garmin port.

The Colour units use a standard USB port and USB transfer. The cables come with the unit when you buy them. In addition, they are a generic USB cable that can be purchased for $5 anywhere.

One more point. The Vista C is discontinued, so you can only buy them used. The current model is the Vista Cx which has some additional features.

Edited by Red90

No. The B&W unit use serial transfer to a custom Garmin port.

The Colour units use a standard USB port and USB transfer. The cables come with the unit when you buy them. In addition, they are a generic USB cable that can be purchased for $5 anywhere.

One more point. The Vista C is discontinued, so you can only buy them used. The current model is the Vista Cx which has some additional features.

Thanks for the help.....yes I know about the Vista C being discontinued, and the one that I am looking at is currently for sale by an individual who is upgrading!

Is the Vista C supposed to be a red flag because it is discontinued or are they still good GPSrs?

Edited by Super_Nate

The Vista CX still has the same problem as the Vista C did - it only holds 500 waypoints. I don't know if Garmin's planning on expanding that to 1000, like they did with the Vista. You think they would, especially with the expanded memory capability of the CX.

Having only 500 waypoints is a drag, especially if you're going on a caching trip. But it's not nearly as bad for me anymore, since the route pocket queries became available. Plus I've got a laptop now, which means that I can access GSAK files on the laptop, and put them into my Vista C on the road, as I move from area to area. (Don't even need an internet connection if I do it before I leave).

One thing I have noticed about both my Vista and Vista C - over time, the rubber banding around both units has become sloppy and even fallen off. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it back in the proper place so that the side buttons work OK.

Other than that, I love the design. One-handed use works well for me, and though I have a friend who had an issue with a bad "clicker" (the five-position button on the front of the unit), both my units have never failed in that regard.

- hamgran

I question that, especially since Garmin has many non-X models on their website. I think there will always be a place for the $80 basic eTrex.

Hermit

He meant that they are discontinuing the non "X" models that are being replaced by "X" models. For instance the Legend C was discontinued when the Legend Cx came out, but the Legend is still available.

The Vista CX still has the same problem as the Vista C did - it only holds 500 waypoints. I don't know if Garmin's planning on expanding that to 1000, like they did with the Vista. You think they would, especially with the expanded memory capability of the CX.

Having only 500 waypoints is a drag, especially if you're going on a caching trip. But it's not nearly as bad for me anymore, since the route pocket queries became available. Plus I've got a laptop now, which means that I can access GSAK files on the laptop, and put them into my Vista C on the road, as I move from area to area. (Don't even need an internet connection if I do it before I leave).

One thing I have noticed about both my Vista and Vista C - over time, the rubber banding around both units has become sloppy and even fallen off. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it back in the proper place so that the side buttons work OK.

Other than that, I love the design. One-handed use works well for me, and though I have a friend who had an issue with a bad "clicker" (the five-position button on the front of the unit), both my units have never failed in that regard.

- hamgran

That is very good information.....thanks. I too have had a problem with the rubber banding on my Vista, and I know of several people in our club forums who have had the same problem with their Vistas and Legends. The Vista C that I am looking to get also has the rubber banding loose. I think alot of that has to do with leaving the GPS in the car on a hot day, or if you are looking for a cache in wet conditions.

My Vista has given me trouble with the clicker as well. I can't click up yet when I go to scroll up it works just fine. Sometimes it gets stuck in the "scroll up" mode and it continues to scroll up without me having to do anything with it until I toggle it a little. This is especially painful when I am in the "Pan Map" mode trying to follow the roads in my map and it starts to scroll up and I can't get it to stop and I lose my place.

Other than those minor issues I have had nothing but good out of my Vista....I just wanted to get a comparison with it and the Vista C before I go forward and purchase it. This thread was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Found it by searching "Vista vs. Vista C" on Google :drama:

Thanks for the help.....yes I know about the Vista C being discontinued, and the one that I am looking at is currently for sale by an individual who is upgrading!

Is the Vista C supposed to be a red flag because it is discontinued or are they still good GPSrs?

Unless you're getting a whale of a deal on the Vista C, I'd strongly reccomend getting an "x" model. The Vista C has only ~32MB of user memory. I just got a Venture Cx with a 1GB card for a total of $209 to my door. Of course the Venture doesn't have the altimeter/compasss chip if that matters to you.

Happy Hunting.

Hermit

Unless you're getting a whale of a deal on the Vista C, I'd strongly reccomend getting an "x" model. The Vista C has only ~32MB of user memory. I just got a Venture Cx with a 1GB card for a total of $209 to my door. Of course the Venture doesn't have the altimeter/compasss chip if that matters to you.

Happy Hunting.

Hermit

I agree. The Venture CX is the way to go unless you're getting the Vista C for peanuts.

Happy Hunting.

Hermit

I agree. The Venture CX is the way to go unless you're getting the Vista C for peanuts.

I have run comparison tables on both the Vista C and the Venture CX, and I agree that the Venture CX is the way to go.....but I am getting Vista C + Mapsource + Car Mount + Cable for a steal!