Sar Averted

Dan-oh

Sunday my hiking partner and I headed out for Mt. San Gorgonio here in Southern California. We hiked in on the Vivian Creek trail, a 16+ mile round trip with 5,400 ft elevation gain. It’s a tough all day hike at best.

We made slow time to the saddle and since I felt sick, she went ahead for the summit while I rested up. After her return, we realized we better make up some time on the decent. See a problem coming up? Not 1 mile later, she tripped and fell. It wasn't the skinned knee I hoped for but either a bad twist or a sprained ankle. Crap! We tried taping it up but that was too painful so we dosed her up with Advil and hobbled down with the trekking poles. When it got dark, we busted out the headlamps and the going got even slower. By the time we made the 7 mile haul back to the truck, it was 9:30 pm, well past our check in time. There was no cell coverage on the mountain or in the canyon so we stopped at the first pay phone to check in with our spouses.

Here's the good stuff: I left an itinerary, a check in time and contact numbers with my wife. We were prepared to hike in the dark and have a cold/hungry overnight but still live. Two hours after we didn't check in, my wife called my partner's husband then the San Bernardino Sheriff/SAR. It turns out that they were going to start SAR efforts 1/2 an hour after finally I checked in. While my partner felt bad about the inconvenience, the system worked the way it’s supposed to. Tell someone where you're going, when you'll be back and who to contact if you don't return.

BTW, so far her ankle looks ugly but it should be fine.

Dan-oh

Remote hiking with another man's wife? I'd be worried about worse things than a sprained ankle. :laughing:

That's what I was thinking as I was reading it. :laughing: My sister and I left our spouses behind and went caching together yesterday though, so I guess you never know what the situation could be.

Great to see the system actually work, and greater still that you did not need it in the end. I hope her ankle heals up quick.

I think you just gave me the idea I needed to get my wife to go caching with me.

I just need to tell her I'm going with another cacher and happen to mention that her name is Jill or something.

That'll get my wife out on the trail after me...that is...if I survive the part where I leave an itinerary explaining that I will be out hiking through the woods for several hours with another woman.

Nah. On second thought, I don't think I'd risk it.

:laughing:

Only if the spouse left behind is that insecure.

Or someone sees them and assumes the worst and starts a gossip virus. Been there, done that, and been done by that, so it pays to avoid even the appearance of evil.

By the way, I'm also glad to hear that the IP's pre-hike work paid off in avoiding a catastrophic incident!

Remote hiking with another man's wife? I'd be worried about worse things than a sprained ankle. :laughing:

Bwahaha! My wife kidded that she would sew me into my clothes. Even funnier is I know my partner because she runs with my wife. She keeps complaining that she wants her friends back. :laughing:

The final elevation is 11,499 ft for Mt San Gorgonio. I'm getting as ready as possible for Mt Whitney (14,497 ft) later this month. I hope to bag the peak and GC75C3, the highest cache in the lower 48.

Edited by Dan-oh
Only if the spouse left behind is that insecure.

Or someone sees them and assumes the worst and starts a gossip virus. Been there, done that, and been done by that, so it pays to avoid even the appearance of evil.

It pays even more to stop worrying what other people are saying about you. What a horrible world you must live in where one must watch their every step in the event it creates the wrong impression among the other sheep.

You know man-woman hiking teams don't always degenerate into sex on the nearest log.

Where did I mention sex? I was referring to the appearance of questionable behavior, not necessarily sex, which first appeared in this thread in your log.

What a horrible world you must live in where one must watch their every step in the event it creates the wrong impression among the other sheep.

My world is wonderful; thank you for your concern. What a wonderful world you must live in where complete disregard for others' thoughts and impressions of you never result in ill feelings and actions. Do what feels good and don't worry what people think - I'm ok; you're ok - if it feels good, do it - yippee!

I'm only advocating a mindset of being careful to avoid giving false impressions. Having had one marriage fall apart because of...well, let's say the opening log hits very close to home for me. My perspective comes from both experience and study of Scripture, which I understand not everyone here shares.

And again, it's great to hear the good news of a potential bad situation being averted.

I'm outta here to go caching.

you made it out ok, Very good planning.

There was no cell coverage on the mountain or in the canyon

You might want to look into getting a Ham Radio license, this would have given you access to the S. Call repeater system and you could have gotten a message to your spouse, the test is Very easy and the License is only about $10.00 for ten years. A basic YHF radio would run a little over $120.00.

Ham Radio

Quite often I am out dirt biking I always take my ARMY Surplus webbing, which contains the following items.

Bear spray

Water jar & Ceramic water purificaiton unit (no beaver tail disease for me :D )

Cell Phone

Amateur Radio

Mosquito Net

Emergency Blankets (the thin silver ones, light and take up very little room)

Ligher, portable stove and Stove fuel (solid)

Small Hatchet that doubles as a hammer.

Folding sweed saw (looks like a small Red pipe when folder)

1-2 cans of Ravioli, 5 Food bars.

Vice grips, and cresent wrench, screwdriver.

Electrical Tape, and String.

Screwdrivers + Full set of extra spark plugs + wenches for all bikes.

20 AA batteries & 3 mini flashlights + Extra Headlight Bulbs.

Slingshot, knife, spoon.

First Aid kit, extra 4 stroke oil.

On each bike we pack an extra tank of fuel, warm cloths.

Sounds kind of extreeme, boy do I ever get looks when I head out. Small dirt bike with the GREEN ugly vest on. The vest is best because it 'distributes' the weight evenly around my body.

Some park rangers are actually 'scared' when they see me? OK, so maybe I'm not as 'fashonable' as I should be?

I'd probably make a great fill in for the movie "Deliverance"!!

Tis better to be ugly and ready, than a ditz and dead?

On a one day trip I do around 50 miles, starting at 5 PM - 5 AM. Maybe being ready is not so strange? I can sure attest that when that Throttle Cable broke, it was sure nice to be able to fix it in 30 mins, have a hot meal and continue merrily along!

I also have a large map with very detailed roads shown (1/6 of the wall) hanging on my wall at home, and in my GPS. I also like to point out where we're headed to on the wall map to folks back home.

Regards,

---- MegaMapper ----

I think you just gave me the idea I needed to get my wife to go caching with me.

I just need to tell her I'm going with another cacher and happen to mention that her name is Jill or something.

That'll get my wife out on the trail after me...that is...if I survive the part where I leave an itinerary explaining that I will be out hiking through the woods for several hours with another woman.

Nah. On second thought, I don't think I'd risk it.

:D

Wouldn't risk what? Hiking with another man's wife, or telling your wife about it? :lol: