Garmin Legend And Easygps

gudel

I've been using EasyGPS for my Legend. Couple times now I notice that a waypoint is not where it's supposed to be.

For example, a waypoint of my home was drifted a mile away. A waypoint I placed in an area drifted 120 miles away.

I get the coordinate from MS Street and Trips, confirmed by Google map. The home waypoint was marked from the Legend.

I wander if there may be some communication issue in the connection or bug in the software. Anyone else seen it?

The only thing I can think of is a problem with position format. The following is copy-n-pasted text from previous threads:

This sounds like it is possibly a "Position Format" problem. There are three different ways to express Latitude and Longitude coordinates, and their differences are very subtle. It's easy for a beginner to mistake one for another and enter the proper numbers into the wrong format - thus entering the wrong co-ordinates. Many have made this mistake in the past.

1) There's decimal degrees which is expressed as hddd.ddddd°

The "h" represents which hemisphere, and all of the numbers represent the whole and the remainder in degrees.

Example - The Washington Monument:

N38.88978° W77.03622°

2) There's degrees and minutes which is expressed as hddd° mm.mmm'

This is the format Geocaching uses. The whole number degrees, with the remainder expressed in decimal minutes.

N38° 53.387' W77° 02.173'

3) There's degrees minutes and seconds which is expressed as hddd° mm' ss.s"

The degrees are whole numbers and so are the minutes. The remainder is broken up into decimal seconds.

N38° 53' 23.2" W77° 02' 10.4"

It's important to have the correct numbers in the correct format. If I take the numbers from degrees minutes and seconds and put them into decimal degrees format, the difference is 24 miles to the south!

N38° 53' 23.2" W77° 02' 10.4" = Washington Monument

N38° 53.232' W77° 02.104' = 1,056 feet SE of Washington Monument

N38.53232° W77.02104° = La Plata, Maryland

The differences can be very small to very large (depending on what specific numbers are used and which format is used improperly. Be sure that YOU, your GPSr and software are all on the same sheet of music. There are preference settings for the GPSr and software.

Yes I understand the coordinate units, it still does not explain how a waypoint marked by pressing Enter on the stick menu, flew off couple miles from that point.

Example waypoint that I had before,

ST.JPG

then it went to

ST2.JPG

I now switched to G7ToWin, let see if there's anymore problem.

This is the screenshot of the setup menu:

ST3.JPG

I use hddd.ddddd° as it matches Street and Trips location sensor, GPS receiver, and Decimal Degrees option in EasyGPS preference menu.

Let see what happens with G7T0Win. Will post it in a few days to see if it works fine or not.