Treasure Caches

lrgoodger

Well, I joined the geocaching community today by making my first two finds and placing my first hide. It is possibly a new type of cache because it will not be maintained. It is expected to be taken by the first finder. All that is asked is that it be reported found. Check my profile bio and the description of my second find today and you will get the idea real quick! The aim here is to make geocaching much more exciting and to educate the people to what real money is and to the fraud of inflation. Expect more silver caches to be placed tomorrow and a one ounce gold cache to be placed within a couple of weeks! B)

OK, is anyone taking bets on sock puppet or just ignorant on this?

I'm going with the classic didn't read/believe the guidelines option.

Like this one:

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) may not be approved. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons.  Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life.

Its also 115 feet from another active cache.

Edited by LaPaglia

No, it's real. Looks like a case of an enthusastic newbie, and trying to take an opportunity to promote a business (look at the tag on the bottom).

lrgoodger, don't be offended, many people make mistakes in the early stages. I'd recover the silver, and probably just place it in the cache for the next finder. Then, read the guidelines, and get a few more finds under your belt before you try a hide. That way, you'll have a better idea of what does and doesn't work for a cache.

You bet your bippie it's real. I am not going to retrieve the one ounce silver liberty that was placed at N41 deg 54.064 W085 deg 51.105. It is a difficulty 3.5 but will not be listed as a cache because of the guideline violations. I placed two more today that are far enough from other caches, but I didn't know I had to have a log book and ensure it was there for over 3 months as a minimum. This will be rectified shortly.

Coordinates for the two I placed today are;

N42 deg 00.707 W085 deg 57.849 and

N42 deg 00.477 W085 deg 57.872

The first is a $5, 1/2 ounce silver liberty and a $1 silver liberty in the same case (case is about the size of a silver dollar). It is not visible to the eye and is not buried in the ground. There are few places near this coordinate it could be, so it should only be a difficulty of 3 to find.

The second is a difficulty 4 and will take special equipment to find. Accessibility is a one. People skilled in finding single silver coins in the ground will know what to do, but a shovel or trowel is not necessary.

And the one ounce gold is coming! Stay tuned!

I sure as heck admire your enthusiasum and would love to live in your area. However one more correction if my assumption is right. Don't bury a cache or place it in such a way that people who don't know what you mean about looking for coins (I'm assuming metal detector) and look the old fashioned way by turning over every leaf, rock, and piece of litter. A poorly placed cache can make the area look like bears were rooting for grubs. You don't want that. It's the quickest way to get geocaching banned in your area. This is a great hobby, and I'm sure that you will get the hang of it quicly and do a lot to improve the caching in you area.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Good point about folks rooting around without proper equipment. I will come right out and say don't bother without a metal detector. You won't find it. It can be lifted out with a finger and won't make a mess in this particular area (it's always covered with leaves) once you pinpoint the target. Believe me, I am a pro with a detector and can lift a coin from 8 inches deep on a manicured lawn and never leave a trace. I know all about what happens if you disregard such aesthetics. Many a good site has been banned because of amateurs making a mess.

I may have a problem placing that gold piece. There isn't any rock cliff faces around here. I was planning to put it about a foot deep so that only the best detectors could find it until I saw the guideline against burying targets. I'm going to have to re-think that one now.

The whole point I am making is to awaken people to the existence of real money again. Why use stuff that is printed out of thin air and is destroying our country with and un-payable deficit when we can change all that by using the money our forefathers mandated in the constitution? Do you realize that the same amount of silver that bought a gallon of gas in 1964 (a silver quarter at that time) will still buy a gallon of gas today? It's just that you would no longer stamp that 1/4 ounce of silver as 25 cents. The paper they give us to use for money is ripping us off! The value it loses goes into the bankers' pockets and out of ours!

Find out about the Liberty Dollars I am caching (finders keepers) at .

Edited by Keystone