Mapsource Registry Problem

I have lurked around these parts for a while now but I am hoping that someone can post some help to my problem.

I have a Garmin Vista C and have Mapsource World Map, Metroguide v6 and the Trip and Waypoint Manager installed. All of sudden I can no longer open Mapsource. A mesage comes up saying "Mapsource Registry error. Reinstall program". I have reinstalled many times and Googled this error to. I am a novice when it comes to rooting about in my laptops registry.

Can anyone offer any advice or point me in its direction. I am getting rather frustated because I cant load up my GPS with the maps of the places I am going to visit soon.

I DID FIND THIS

A lot of people have posed this question to the forum, and people toss about various suggestions which do not seem to help. The people with the problem just seem to fall off the face of the earth as we never hear back from them to tell us what the solution is.

Mapsource Problems

Mapsource Registry Error, Anyone seen / fixed this before?

Use caution, my friend. I fear for your safety! An alien abduction may be in your near future! CLICK HERE to learn how to make a "THOUGHT SCREEN HELMET" to prevent abduction! :cry:

But seriously - I did a little search here and found something new to try:

CLICK HERE to download the latest version (6.8.0) of MapSource. Changes made from version 6.3 to 6.5 include "Modified MapSource to provide the user with more useful feedback in certain situations where the program failed because of an invalid entry in the MapSource registry entries." Maybe it'll fix your problem altogether as I don't think this was suggested in the past. If it doesn't fix the problem, then at least it might provide more clues as to what the actual problem might be.

Another thought if that doesn't work: try uninstalling all existing instances of MapSource products, and then re-install in the order of their MapSource version number. Perhaps you're installing MetroGuide 6 before the older WorldMap and something in the "downgrading" of the MapSource product.

Hope it helps. Please give us a report as to whether or not these suggestions helped or not.

Edited by Neo_Geo
Use caution, my friend.  I fear for your safety!  An alien abduction may be in your near future!  CLICK HERE to learn how to make a "THOUGHT SCREEN HELMET" to prevent abduction!

I'm worried. When I follow the link, it shows me the hat, and talks about the material, but as for instructions, it says:

For photos of other types of thought screens go to Aliens and Children, the sister site, in the links section.

When you go to AliensandChildren.org, and read about the hats, it says:

For instructions, required tools and materials used for making thought screens, see stopabductions.com.

I can't find instructions and tools, and I'm pretty sure that ALIENS ARE BLOCK MY INTERNET ACCESS to links that will let me find them.

Oh! No they aren't. Everything is okay. Nothing to see here. Move along.

Thanks Neo Geo,

I am going to give your suggestions a try tonight. I have been waiting until I have a quiet evening because this type of thing always takes longer than you think.

I might follow the 'nuke mapsource files in the registry' option if things dont go well.

Off to back up the HD then dive in.

Will keep you posted.

Neo Geo,

Your suggestion seems to have worked. I followed it to the letter and got rid of all Garmin files on my laptop and folders in the registry. I downloaded the latest Mapsource update and reistalled Trip and Waypoint Manager then WorldMap and things seem to be working fine.

Thanks for the help, I see you have posted the same advice to others lately.

;)