Cache Found By Bomb Squad

SLOweather

This was in this morning's San Luis Obispo CA Tribune...

Does anyone know which cache it is, er, was?

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/mld/sanluisob...al/12710107.htm

Bomb squad inspects suspicious package

Sally Connell

The Tribune

A suspicious-looking container hidden under greenery in a park pond in Paso Robles was retrieved by the county bomb squad, which determined the package was a place for global positioning system hobbyists to leave trinkets and notes for each other.

The package caused excitement in the department for the better part of a day, from when it was spotted by a citizen at 8:25 a.m. until the incident ended at 1:30 p.m.

"The package was retrieved, X-rayed and breached by the bomb squad," said Sgt. Nicky Woods. She said the package was approximately the size of a large camera bag, and it had been partially submerged with a wire attached, possibly for retrieval.

She said it was determined the package was used by geocaching enthusiasts, individuals who use their global positioning systems to locate items in various locales. GPS users can use specific coordinates to find the cache, which in many cases is something as simple as a plastic container with a visitor log, and trinkets people have left behind.

"Some of our own officers actually play this game. They say it's real fun when you travel," she said.

-- Sally Connell

She said it was determined the package was used by geocaching enthusiasts, individuals who use their global positioning systems to locate items in various locales. GPS users can use specific coordinates to find the cache, which in many cases is something as simple as a plastic container with a visitor log, and trinkets people have left behind.

That's actually one of the best short descriptions of geocaching I've seen in the press. They got it right! :huh:

"Some of our own officers actually play this game. They say it's real fun when you travel," she said.

If some of the officers are Geocachers why didn't they just search Gc.com to see if there was a cache at that location before they blew it up.

Because they have procedures they have to follow, no matter what they think or are told, for everyones safety. In countries like Israel people are told not to picka purse or bag left sitting around because it may be a bomb. Bombs can be designed to look like something that is not two sticks of dynamite and an Acme alarm clock.

On the other hand there were no comments from the police about their resources being wasted. They even made some positive comments about Geocaching.

:o I've been caching for over almost 3 years, and I have heard of this happening numerous times. Here is an article from 2003 where this happened as well.

:laughing:Is this a bomb? Nope, just a geocache. :laughing:

Just remember.. in today's day and age make sure you MARK the container very well. Otherwise it may meet the same fate as above..

:laughing: BTW -- Try to avoid making caches out of tubes or pipes. The main reason this one met it's doom was because

A. it was made out of a large white pvc pipe.

B. The owner did not mark the outside of the container.

C. it was hidden in a rather visible location.

D. A paranoid farmer happened to notice it.

E. Cache was located at bottom of telephone pole next to a major interstate freeway.

A+B+C+D+E = a bomb scare.

Edited by Hogarth

Have to disagree with on lableing it Geocache. Bombs can be made to look like anything. A briefcase with explosives and full of nails, still looks like a briefcase. The idea is to make them as inconspicous as possible. If the bomb squad was called in they have procedures they have to follow no matter what they think it might be. WHile it does not hurt to a label a Geocache, it won't change thnigs once the bomb squad is called.

:o I've been caching for over almost 3 years, and I have heard of this happening numerous times. Here is an article from 2003 where this happened as well.

:laughing:Is this a bomb? Nope, just a geocache. :laughing:

Just remember.. in today's day and age make sure you MARK the container very well. Otherwise it may meet the same fate as above..

:laughing: BTW -- Try to avoid making caches out of tubes or pipes. The main reason this one met it's doom was because

A. it was made out of a large white pvc pipe.

C. it was hidden in a rather visible location.

D. A paranoid farmer happened to notice it.

E. Cache was located at bottom of telephone pole next to a major interstate freeway.

A+B+C+D+E = a bomb scare.

In all actuality, all it takes is D. :o

If some of the officers are Geocachers why didn't they just search Gc.com to see if there was a cache at that location before they blew it up.

Hmmm, let's see... If I were a nefarious induhvidual, I would replace the contents of a legitamate cache with an explosive. Lotta good looking it up on the website is going to do, unless I were a really dumb sort and signed the log as "T: Everything L: Bomb" :)

We had a cache go missing at a local school that was a project when someone playing at the playground found it and turned it into the police. But, after a week or so to get everything worked out the cops loaded it with goodies and all was good again.