Cleaning Geocoins

ibycus

A local posted this to the Calgary Forums, and it worked very well for me, so I thought I'd share.

Many metal coins start looking tarnished after a while (I know a few of my copper Calgary ones that the dog got a hold of started looking very tarnished very quickly :rolleyes:)

Anyways, if you make a paste solution out of flour, salt and vinegar, rub it on your coins, and then rinse it off, it comes out looking like new.

Don't know how this would work on coloured coins, but it worked well on the Calgary ones (haven't and won't try it on a Calgary Silver or Gold though, think it might take of the antiqued look...)

So anyone else got any good ways to clean coins?

yup a little bit of copper cleaner with warm water will work best... make the cleaner into a paste and rub the coins with it then rinse. All of the unsightly spots will be gone.

Being a coin collector I might add that cleaning is frowned upon by most serious collectors... the patina aquired by the coin over the years makes it unique... and sometimes even more valuable.

If a coin is really bad off like maybe its been in a wet cache for a year and has caked on guck and might be turning green then I would try electrolysis. This is what I do when I clean ancient coins. Its fun :rolleyes: I recomend you use baking soda rather than salt though.

I would suggest purchasing some air-tite style coin holders. The tarnish usually is due to air and humidity, both of which are pretty much sealed out in an airtite.

I would also recomend Air-Tites to store your coins in. I have a list of coin and the Ait-Tite containers (black ring) they need here.. As I get more coins, I have been updating the list.

Terrible Ts

actually some/most of the minted geocoins out there that aren't usa geocoins, alaska, some of the 2004 mintage coins, etc already have a protective finish on them (even the unepoxied ones tend to) that's why the coins don't feel as metallic I think, because they have a clear coat kind of sealant, to protect them from tarnishing.