Etrex Legend For $100, Or Wait For Explorist 210?

I've got a co-worker looking to sell a slightly used eTrex Legend for $100. I'm just getting into geocaching and am looking to buy a GPS of some sort.

Looking at what is currently available I had been interested in the explorist 210. I've done some caching with a friends explorist 600 and found it easy to use.

I like the legend unit as well, and I certainly like the price. I've played around with the legend just a little, and I like the way it feels in my hand better than the explorist, and I prefer the location/configuration of the buttons.

I have read some reviews that indicate that the legend doesn't hold onto a signal quite as well as some other units on the market. I am also a little concerned by the serial connection on the legend vs. the USB connection that will be on the 210. It also appears that the legend does not come with any software at all, at least the seller claims it didn't come with a CD or disk.

I'm looking to get a mapping GPS for geocaching for as little money as possible. I want a unit with PC connectivity as well. The legend has all of these featuers, and love to save $50 or $60 bucks by buying it vs. waiting and buying the 210, but I'd like some input from legend owners if possible. I'll mostly be caching in wooded areas, under moderate to heavy tree cover, so I need a unit that can maintain a signal in those conditions.

Any and all advice and input is welcome and much appreciated.

Thanks!

$100.00 for a used Legend is to much. When you can buy a new one for about $140.00 it seams to me a fair price for a used Legand would be $70.00, half of the retail price.

I have not had a problem with my Explorist 500 maintaning a sattelite lock, while it is not a 210, the recievers are going to be the same.

I have seen the new Explorist 210 list for about $154.00 Explorist 210

Once these get into the stores the price may drop a bit, this usally happens with most new GPSrs

This is a list of features that the Explorsit 210 has that the legand does not have.

USB interface, the Legend uses a serial port, with some newer computers you will also need and adapter for the Legend,

File structure much like that in a PC, You can have mulitple geocache files in the Explorist 210 and these files can be based on cache type, difficulty, geographic area and so one, the Legend does non of this.

Geocache manager software, Some people like this some do not, I like it myself. When used to load caches they are displayed on the screen using the same cache icons that the geocaching web site uses. Some have said they do not like not being able to edit cache info in the GPS, well before I bought my Explorist 500 i had found 900 caches without having to edit one. If course if you feel the need you can just load the cache files as Points of Interest and then they can be edited.

the Explorst 210 has 22MB of memory to store detailed maps on, the Legend has 8MB

Acording to Magellans web site the Explorist works with all current map Send software. It may support the autorouting feature in Direct route but I am not sure about that.

Sure New Explorsit 210 will cost more than the Used Legand, but you are getting a lot more for your money, even over a new legand.

Lets not forget, with the purchase of a used GPS you are not getting a waranty.

Edit to add: I have used the legend, it was one of the first GPSr I ever used, it is a good unit but the Explorist 210 has more to offer.

Lets not get into the AA battery vs the Lithium battery issue, for those of you who do not now anything about the Explorsit 210, it also use AA's like the legend

Edited by JohnnyVegas

The Explorist will hold a signal better in tree cover, has more memory for loading maps, and a USB connection. The Legend is available to you now, the Explorist, maybe October.

Can you try out the Legend in some wooded areas to see how it works? If it works well, then you could put the money you save towards mapping software.

You do want a GPS that connects to a computer. I have the Explorist 200, which I like, but I'm going to get either a 210 or 400. I'm tired of keying in waypoints.

Good Luck.

Glad I came across this post. I was looking at a Legend but think the 210 looks like a way better deal. It will be quite the step up from the Magellan GPS 2000 that I currently use. 22meg vs 8meg for map storage and an opinion of better reception at a comparable price is hard to turn away from. Looks to be worth the wait.

One other thing to consider, Magellan currently is offering a $50.00 rebate on 400, 500, and 600's. The cost of the 210 at TigerGPS is $156.30, the 400 after rebate is going to be $197.95. For and extra $41.65 you get expandable memory, rechargable battery and some extras like area calculation, and sun rise/set times. The rechargable battery can be seen as a positive or negative, I personally think it would be a good thing (I have gone though quite a few AA's). And the best thing about the 400... you can buy it today. :laughing:

I've been looking at TigerGPS, and I've seen the rebate on the 400. It's a tempting offer, but I'd really like to spend less than $150, or not much more if I could. If the 400 was $197 straight up, I might do it, but I'm basically loaning magellan $50 for 3 or 4 months, and I don't want to mess with that.

I hate rebates.

Edit: Can anyone speak to whether the 210 will be as good at reception as the higher-end magellan units? The explorist 600 I have used really impressed me as far as maintaining satellite lock inside my house and under heavy tree cover. I assume the 400/500/600 all have the same antenna and CPU.

I'd guess the 210 might have a different CPU (not sure), but I hope it has the same antenna as the 400-600.

Does anyone know?

Edited by ArkGPS007

I have had my Legend for almost 3 years and the eX500 since they came out earlier in the year. The receiver on the eXplorist is way better....I would consider it a generation better in performance. As mentioned above, if you can afford it, go to the 400, if not, then the 210 is a good choice. Even though the Meridian Gold is older, it has a great reciever and the SD card, and is in the similar price range and should be considered if you don't mind the size.

I know this is a general question and apologize in advance. I haven't dealt with mapping software. The 210 says it has 22meg for map storage. Anyone know how much memory a map comparable to a 1:24,000 USGS Quad map with full detail uses?

The topo maps are not 1:24,000 like USGS maps. I am having a brain freeze from to much time in the hot sun today while geocaching. But I think the Magellan and Garmin are 1:50,000 scale, Garmin has some 1:24,000 maps but as I understand they are limited to some state parks.

If I want more detial I print out a USGS map using National Geographic TOPO. it makes a good referance. I can spot any caches in the area and take a heading with a real compass. I find thid can be easier when covering a larger area.

The real problem with any map on any GPS is that the GPS screen is so small that when you zoom in you se very little map, when you zoom out you lose detail.

I know this is a general question and apologize in advance. I haven't dealt with mapping software. The 210 says it has 22meg for map storage. Anyone know how much memory a map comparable to a 1:24,000 USGS Quad map with full detail uses?

The topo maps are not 1:24,000 like USGS maps. I am having a brain freeze from to much time in the hot sun today while geocaching. But I think the Magellan and Garmin are 1:50,000 scale, Garmin has some 1:24,000 maps but as I understand they are limited to some state parks.

If I want more detial I print out a USGS map using National Geographic TOPO. it makes a good referance. I can spot any caches in the area and take a heading with a real compass. I find thid can be easier when covering a larger area.

The real problem with any map on any GPS is that the GPS screen is so small that when you zoom in you se very little map, when you zoom out you lose detail.

Thanks. I haven't gotten my hands on a mapping GPSr and appriciate the 1st hand experience w/maps on the GPSr.

Save 380 files each containing 500 Waypoints

Does this mean I can store 190,000 waypoints on the Explorist 210?

Yes, according to Magellan. Not sure what one would do with 190,000 POIs though.

I am really stoked about this GPSr, based on the info that's been released so far. Pretty sure I'll buy one once it comes out. I just contacted Magellan asking if it will support autorouting. If it does, this entry level unit will really give you some bang for your buck.

I heard from Magellan, and the eXplorist 210 will support turn-by-turn routing with DirectRoute. Woo hoo! Quite a capable receiver for a reasonable price. I would find it perfect if it had SD capability. Yeah, the 400 is only $50 more after rebates, but I don't like the internal Li-ion battery. I won't pre-order the 210, but as soon as it hits enough retailers for me to comparison shop, I am buying.

Yeah, the 400 is only $50 more after rebates, but I don't like the internal Li-ion battery.

The 400 battery isn't internal, it is removable. Extra batteries can be bought on Ebay for about 10.00. So it isn't like you have to take the back off the unit to replace the battery.

So you got me to do some research, Paulamur. I dismissed the 400+ units because I thought it would be a pain in the arse to change the batteries. I've been following the battery topic and know that a T720 1100 mAh will work. I thought there would be a cable to the battery pack (never had to change a cell phone battery before) that you'd have to undo. The pics I saw of the T720 battery look like there are only contacts on the battery. I guess you just put the battery in place and close the back, based on what I see in the 400's manual. Seems simple enough. Decisions, decisions.

I don't have a 400 yet, just ordered one today, but from what I gather looking at the online manual, and reading this forum, is that the battery can only charged while in the unit. Which means attaching the cable to the back, which looks to be a bit of a pain. Unless you get the swivel mount, then the cable is attached to the mount and you just pop the Explorist into the cradle and you are connected, both for charging and a PC connection. At least that is how it should work in theory. I got a gift card from work to Sportsman's Warehouse, and they had a decent price on the swivel mount, so I already have that. Would have the 400 already too, but they had a bad price on that.

Edited by paulamur

I don't find it a "pain in the arse". Admittedly, I have reasonably nimble fingers and I've done it before, but I just timed 13 seconds to remove a battery from an exporist and 14 seconds to re-install it. I'm not making this into a race, I'm just pointing out that's is easier than changing them in most kids toys (no tool required) and on par with changing them in a typical cell fone.

Of course, other than the day I put the memory cards in it, I can't recall needing swap the batteries.

There are no explicit wires betweeen the PCB and the battery; it's just pressure pads.

The cable does require being screwed in at your desk. It's annoying but not terrible.

Robert's right - the battery is much easier to replace than a couple of AAs and given LiOn's advantages, is just as cheap as using rechargable AAs. Much lighter too.

Problem is, you can't buy LiONs at any convenience store like you can Duracell AAs so you have to plan ahead. Carrying an extra LiON battery is lighter and smaller than carrying a couple of extra AAs though.

Magellan must be anal about waterproofness. Their computer and power connections have always been a pain in the arse but I have no doubt they're absolutely waterproof. I think they carry this to extremes though as it's a royal pain to open the battery compartment or connect an interface cable. I'd much rather have Garmin's PnP or 1/4 turn VS Magellan's legendary ten turn screw.

I see lots of advantages in the new LiON batteries and bet we won't have AA powered GPSrs much longer. Who knows, maybe Apu will have fully charged LiOn batteries at Quicky Mart any day now..... Drop off an exhausted battery and pick up a charged one for a dollar. Makes sense to me, lots less waste. And you can get a squishy while you're there...

I don't find it a "pain in the arse". Admittedly, I have reasonably nimble fingers and I've done it before, but I just timed 13 seconds to remove a battery from an exporist and 14 seconds to re-install it. I'm not making this into a race, I'm just pointing out that's is easier than changing them in most kids toys (no tool required) and on par with changing them in a typical cell fone.

Seeing is believing. Once I saw the picture in the eXplorist manual, I realized that it couldn't be anymore difficult than swapping AAs. Excellent comments and tips from the last few posters. I'm pleased with the low cost of the spare battery and swivel mount.