Data Cable For Explorist [123]00

embra

I don't recall this item being discussed here, so I thought I'd post it for those 123/00 who are tiring of manual data input. The cable is available at pc-mobile, and they are up front about saying you're on your own--no support offered from them. They kinda blow my mind that they're able to offer something like this, caveat emptor or no.

It appears that one needs an external power supply, as the connector forces the batteries to be removed while it's used. I'm not at all sure what this connector can and can't do.

Anyone try it yet? Looks like it will take a bit of the ol' pioneer spirit.

Edit to add: Looks like they reference the rhamphorinkx page for a little more detailed connection information. If Robert of Babelon says it looks like GPSBabel can do the software communication, I'd consider it a green light.

Edited by embra

Mechanically, their approach isn't the way *I* would have built it, but nobody asked me.

Electrically, the rhamphorinkx site looks about right to me. Thales brought the unbuffered EIA lines that are likely there for manufacturing/debug purposes onto a low-cost connector, so it's merely an act of adding an inverting buffered line driver/receiver with an integral charge pump to get EIA232 signals in and out of it.

The software is a bit of a wild card. It's not clear where these firmware upgrades will come from. Since there would be no Thales-supported way to get firmware onto these things, why would they publish software? Software vendors way larger than me (at least in my night shift) are unlikely to test, bless, or otherwise mess with a combination that isn't supported by the manufacturer.

That said, looking at the commands and responses given, I'd expect it to Just Work with programs that xfer waypoints, tracks, and routes. If GPSBabel doesn't Just Work with it, I'd bet it wouldn't be hard to work it out remotely if partnered with a suitably determined/competent [123]00 user.

Now if I look at pricing from TigerGPS and pair a 200 ($136) with this cable and pit it against a 210 ($156) for just about exactly the same price, I'll have to admit that I'm scratching my head why I'd buyu a 200 when a 210 gives me 24MB of memory and USB.

(Note that as crazy as Magellan makes me, my hat is off to them that even their units that don't *HAVE* a computer interface are likely compaitible with their protocols dating back to the mid 90's while their primary competitor routinely breaks protocol compatibility from version to version.)

Signed,

Babelon and on.

Now if I look at pricing from TigerGPS and pair a 200 ($136) with this cable and pit it against a 210 ($156) for just about exactly the same price, I'll have to admit that I'm scratching my head why I'd buyu a 200 when a 210 gives me 24MB of memory and USB.

Gee whiz. Just go out and spend the $156 on the 210 or the $200 on the 400 after rebate. Anyone with the skill to implement this solution probably wouldn't have bought the 100/200/300 to begin with. Ooh, saw a picture of a yellow eXplorist opened up on the Russian site being discussed here. I mentioned my desire to see the guts of a GPSr on another topic.

Good post by Robertlipe. From what I konw about the 210, it seems like a very good starter unit (and I would recommend it over the 100,200,300.) I understand that the USB connection will allow loading of maps and waypoints, and saving of waypoints, routes and tracks on your PC. I have not heard if it will provide position output to PC programs.

Geognerd, I have enough GPSes that neither the 210 nor the 400 particularly arouse me. (Oh, wait, I already have a 400.) I was trying to point out that for an entry level unit, the 210 pretty much blows away the 100 or 200 plus this adapter thingy. The compass in the 300 plus this adapter might have some appeal over a 600, but a Silva still has some appeal.

EScout, based on what I know about manufacturing and engineering, I'm pretty sure the XL is to 400 as SporTrak is to Meridian. It's a job you hand to a relatively jr engineering group and say "remove this socket, replace the map memory with XXX" I'll venture that'd it be harder for them to remove the position output (NMEA) than it would be to leave it in. Oh, and thanx.

Geognerd, I have enough GPSes that neither the 210 nor the 400 particularly arouse me. (Oh, wait, I already have a 400.) I was trying to point out that for an entry level unit, the 210 pretty much blows away the 100 or 200 plus this adapter thingy. The compass in the 300 plus this adapter might have some appeal over a 600, but a Silva still has some appeal.

Sorry if there was any confusion. My response wasn't targeted at you Robert, but at Regular Joe GPSuser. I'm sure that you have some pretty kicking GPSrs as Chief Babelhead. The solution presented here is interesting, but more trouble than it's worth. I think this is more of an exercise of showing it can be done, than actually putting forth a practical solution.

I think we're saying the same thing, Geognerd. This cable thingy is a nice pain killer for buyers remorse of the owners of the [123]00 owners, but I still wouldn't buy one myself. If you already owned one of those, it's an interesting "kicker" product.

A 300 plus this kit is somewhat interesting since it'd be the lowest price I can think of for a unit with an integrated compass, but I'd still pick a 210 and a Silva over a 300 and this.

If you already own one and have been cursing the absence of host communications, it's an interesting option.