Lock & Lock Problem

I've had a problem at a cache site with a Lock & Lock container. I received a report of wet cache contents at a cache I had placed using a L&L. This finder stated that the lid was difficult to replace. Soon after that another 'wet cache' log came in. I emailed the finder to see if I needed to go out there or if he thought everything was OK. He said he got the lid on and it should be fine.

Now last week I get another log that the contents were wet. So I emailed this finder to ask if he had any insight. He did. He said that the lid had been put on UPSIDE DOWN. Apparently one of the early finders replaced the lid upside down and then the next couple of finders followed suit.

When I visit each cache site that I used a L&L at from here on, I think I'll include the equivalent of a "This side up" sign on the lid. Any ideas for what and where I should write this? It might be tougher for me since I used camo tape all over the container.

Now last week I get another log that the contents were wet. So I emailed this finder to ask if he had any insight. He did. He said that the lid had been put on UPSIDE DOWN. Apparently one of the early finders replaced the lid upside down and then the next couple of finders followed suit.

1. I didn't know that was possiable, when I get home I'm going to have to check that out

2. I guess containers with rubberized seals are so good after all <_<:rolleyes:

Now last week I get another log that the contents were wet.  So I emailed this finder to ask if he had any insight.  He did.  He said that the lid had been put on UPSIDE DOWN.  Apparently one of the early finders replaced the lid upside down and then the next couple of finders followed suit. 

1. I didn't know that was possiable, when I get home I'm going to have to check that out

Yeah, that all of a sudden ended up on my to-do list, too.....this will be interesting.

Tiffany's Head Slave experienced a DIFFERENT L&L problem last week.

He had purchased a couple of L&Ls and had them on one of the counters just waiting to get filled with swag and placed. He came home one day and they were GONE! He searched high and low for them until he noticed two of them in the refrigerator and they were fileld with FOOD!

While he could not prove that they were the same containers, he is very suspicious that they were hijacked from their intended purpose.

Maybe we can have a forum thread on how many cache containers you have to open and close properly before you're allowed to find one on your own.

Off-topic, just a brief whiny note from the mountains of Western Maryland.... Curmudgeonlygal, your forum avatar foto is just too cute! Please replace it with something more neutral, like a cute doggie, or a hen, or a donkey, or something. Thank you! <_<:ph34r:

And, more on topic, I hear repeated reports from locals about L&L containers leaking at times even when sealed properly.

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team
Get an ammo can. As far as I know, there is only one way to close it. :ph34r:<_<

I have seen two different styles of ammo cans.

Not sure what they are called, but there is one style that is not as easy to open or close.

I have seen them opened with just the cover placed back on top and not latched down.

Man, don't get me started! okay, I AM started: ammo cans closed with twigs in the 'o' ring, decons just barely pushed shut - not snapped tight, matchsafes unscrewed and the 'o' ring dropped off, now Lock'n'locks with the lid upside down. Say it isn't so - I just hid my first two l'n'ls....

Once returned to one cache to discover that whoever had "closed" the decon before me hadn't even pressed down hardly at all. I know this because it was completely open when I got there.

Okay, so I decided when I first read this that I had to try this when I got home, since I only last week purchased my first L&L.

I was able to get the lid on upside down, but with enough effort that you would thing a reasonably intelligent, sentient being would realize that this is not the way things were intended to be. Of course, one would also think that the nice, rubber gasket aimed at the heavens would also send this message, but alas, this is apparantly not the case.

10% rule anyone?

This whole thread cracks me up :unsure:

My L&L caches have camo tape on the outside, so you'd really have to have a screw loose to replace the lids upside down (I doubt it would even be possible at all).

I did put a sign on the inside of the lid saying "Please make sure all 4 lid-flaps snap down tightly, Thank you!"..... hoping to avoid any leakage. So far, so good.

The first time I touched an ammo can was a learning experience, took me a while to figure it opening and closing. So apparently I have a screw loose myself and shouldn't point any fingers :unsure:

Note that there were no derogatory remarks about folks inexperienced in openning ammo cans, only that they are funny to watch. Just like the first time I tried to find a lamp post micro. It must have taken forever, and I thought it was a cool hide.

Edit: fat finger

Edited by Moose Mob
Note that there were no derogatory remarks about folks inexperienced in openning ammo cans, only that they are funny to watch. Just like the first time I tried to find a lamp post micro. It must have taken forever, and I thought it was a cool hide.

Edit: fat finger

I'll be happy to oblige (sort of). My first hidden cache was a large plastic drybox, a good bit bigger than an ammo can, but opening with a very similar latch mechanism.

One of the early finders could not figure out how to open the latch, so they just pried the hinges apart. Being that they were plastic, it pretty much ruined the container. I stick to metal ammo boxes now. :rolleyes:

One local cache in an ammo can is lableled as "tricky to close if you don't line things up right". I've visited twice and had no trouble. Most of the local cachers report no trouble. However, 2 out of area cachers with quite a few finds have reported needing up to 20 minutes to re-close the box. Go figure.