Suggested Change To Tb Logging

Cheminer Will

Could not find that this had been asked / suggested before so there may be an obvious reason I am missing as to why it is not a good idea, but here goes anyway. This would not help with TB's that go missing, but would help with this other problem.

A person picking up a TB from a cache should not get "credit" for that TB on their stats page until they dropped it off to move it along. Their "pickup log would still be on the TB's page so the owner would know where it was. Wouldn't this help with TB's that get picked up by a cacher and then just kept or moved on without logging it?

I know several people that have TB's in the possession of active cachers that logged the find to get credit for the TB, but have not moved the TB on. One of my friend's TB has been in the possession of a cacher for over a year with no response to pleas from the owner. In that year, the person keeping the TB has logged over 100 new caches and several TB's. Their stat page shows credit for the TB they are hoarding. That seems wrong. They should not get credit for it until they move it.

Am I wrong in my reasoning that his would help keeps bugs moving?

I agree with you. anything that helps the travel bugs move along is fine with me. I myself am somewhat to blame, having kept a persons travel bug for nine months.:unsure: (don't wory, I told them about my situation and put it ina a cache yesterday.)

I think the problem is not so much the length of time as long as there is productive email exchange. Thing is it seems with getting credit as soon as you log it as picked up instead of when you log it as being moved on, provides less incentive to move a TB in a timely fashion. It won't help TB's that truly get lost. It won't reform folks who don't intend to play right. BUT it might prompt people with good intentions to act faster and more reliably. I'll bet most people fall into this latter category.

Anything that makes TB's more apt to have a long life or actually fulfill their mission, will encourage more people to purchase and send off TB's. Then... more fun for us all.

If that were the reason that TB's went missing, then that would be the answer.

TBs [accidentaly] disappear for two reasons.

1) They don't know it's a TB

Little kid grabs it and the parents don't know it. Or the parents don't realize what the tag is for.

2) The tag was picked up and the cacher forgets/loses it in the bottomn of the backpack.

Also they have been dropped on trails, in a muggled cache, or outright thievery.

Education is our best tool in all cases, and that will come from thier experience.

Sometimes a TB is handed off to another cacher, and that cacher "grabs" it from them and it doesn't get logged into a cache. That would have to be implemented too. Any suggestions for changing the website however should be posted in the gc.com website forum where it will be seen by those who make and implement the changes to the database. Therefore I am moving this thread to that forum.

Although there are several different types of things that can stop a TB's travels, I started this topic to address only the issue of people picking up a TB, logging it to get credit and then having no incentive to move it on. From looking at this forum and talking to other geocachers, this is fairly common. Lots go missing, but the location of many others is known, they are languishing in the possession of cachers that just did not move them on.

If you could not get credit for a TB until you moved it, that might help with this specific TB problem.

All three of my TBs are now missing so I think it is a great idea!!!! However, geocaching is no longer just a hobby. I have seen geocaching change alot just in the 14 months that I have been doing it. Now it is all about icons and stats so I doubt your suggestion would go over well with those cachers.

Edited by Puckhoundz

I saw this idea suggested on another thread (maybe by you) and replied that it was a great idea. While it may not solve ALL the problems with TBs, it provides good incentive for cachers to move it on in a timely manner.

Obviously it won't fix the problems with people that unwilling or unable to understand the simple instructions that are on TB tags.

All three of my TBs are now missing so I think it is a great idea!!!! However, geocaching is no longer just a hobby. I have seen geocaching change alot just in the 14 months that I have been doing it. Now it is all about icons and stats so I doubt your suggestion would go over well with those cachers.

I have to agree with your views. I have been caching for almost 6 months now, and have noticed how much people want the numbers and icons. I am a TB lover and when I take a TB, it is taken everywhere with me. To events, camping, trips, school, etc. and pictures are taken and posted. If I can't drop the TB right away, I ensure I let the owners know. If the TB doesn't have a 'Who am I' tag, I make one for it. No bag? I give it one. And I also put a little travelling bug tag from me on it (if I can).

I do agree with the idea of not being able to log it until you drop it off, but what about those that find the cache, discover the TB, and want to post that they discovered it? There isn't any harm in discovering a TB as you are stating you saw it and you aren't taking it.