Missing 16 States Of Germany

fantasy2004

Hello Team,

if i edit my Cache, i miss the 16 states of germany in the dropdown list (--not applicable--).

Here they are. Fell free to use it.

<select name="bundesland" size="1">

<option>waehle Bundesland</option>

<option>Baden-Wuerttemberg</option>

<option>Bayern</option>

<option>Berlin</option>

<option>Brandenburg</option>

<option>Bremen</option>

<option>Hamburg</option>

<option>Hessen</option>

<option>Mecklenburg-Vorpommern</option>

<option>Niedersachsen</option>

<option>Nordrhein-Westfalen</option>

<option>Rheinland-Pfalz</option>

<option>Saarland</option>

<option>Sachsen</option>

<option>Sachsen-Anhalt</option>

<option>Schleswig-Holstein</option>

<option>Thueringen</option>

</select>

Sincerly fantasy2004 (Claus from germany)

I'm sure that this feature requires much more back-end work than simply updating the forms. Adding states and provinces has been implemented in some countries (Belgium, for example) but not all (Germany, obviously).

Discussions about this feature, such as this one, generally take place in the geocaching web site forum (I believe it's a premium member section).

For the record, though: I, too, would like to see Germany's states included...

It's not a premium forum.

I got confused into thinking it was a premium member feature since I never saw the web site forum when I wasn't logged in, but I guess it's only visible when you're logged in (regular or premium member).

To keep this on topic, I would like to repeat my support for adding the German lands/states.

I think it would be cool to not list state and country boundaries at all. Who cares if a cache is across a border ? Most of us have the right to travel freely, certainly across internal frontiers, and usually across international borders too. And if by some chance there is a travel or passport issue, well, that should be apparent from the map.

I can't think of any circumstances under which I would not want to go for a cache which was 10 miles away simply because it was in another state or region of the same country.

Abolishing existing state lines on this site is not a "serious" suggestion, of course, but I don't see why everything has to be "pigeonholed" like this. How would you do it in France ? By the 22 regions (which large numbers of French people claim they don't really recognise) or by the 95+ "départements" ? Should the Caribbean island of Martinique be listed as a French départment (which, legally, it is) ?

Most large countries have their own listing sites (eg the superb www.geocaching-france.com). Let them handle local geographical issues.

Most large countries have their own listing sites (eg the superb www.geocaching-france.com). Let them handle local geographical issues.

I agree with some aspects of your posting, but not with the part which is cited above.

Such systems typically do only work in countries where the number of caches and cachers is not yet too large. For example, Germany is facing big problems. The system the French site and some others are using, cannot be applied to Germany.

Cezanne

Most of us have the right to travel freely, certainly across internal frontiers, and usually across international borders too.  And if by some chance there is a travel or passport issue, well, that should be apparent from the map.

This might be the case around where you seem to live, Nic, close to the French/Belgian/Letzebuersch borders, but as you know it is not even true for the whole European Union, still less for the rest of Europe or the world.

Just to give you a small example: all of our state capitals are less than 50km (30miles) from the country borders; 6 of the 8 neighboring countries are not members of the Schengen treaty...

Lots of our caches are on or so close to the border, that you can't make out which country they're in (at least not on GC.com "maps" :( ).

BS/2

Lots of our caches are on or so close to the border, that you can't make out which country they're in (at least not on GC.com "maps" :blink: ).

As I said, it wasn't a particularly serious suggestion to abolish countries. But I don't see why it should matter which province of Slovakia or Austria a cache is in.

<...> Most large countries have their own listing sites (eg the superb www.geocaching-france.com).  Let them handle local geographical issues.

Yes, let them handle local geographical issues locally. But for this they need the basic data about the caches. And these are not so easy to obtain (as far as I know). Let me know if there is an easy way to get "all caches in Germany" or something like that.