Buying A Gps

jfc1097

All of the information I've seen points to the Garmin eTrex Legend as being the best all around buy for around $125. It has a nice sized screen, a simple thumb scroll/press button, & 8mb of memory to accept map updates and cache downloads. Just read through some of the numerous threads about the differences in units and Garmin will be at the top... and for those who can't afford the $400 color units, the Legend is got to be GPS of choice for the bargain minded. I'd actually rather have one than my Rino 120... but mine was free!

Edited by knlcox

Just picked up the Explorist 210 as my first GPS after doing a lot of shopping around and research. Seemed to be the best option for my price range ($150-$200.) Very happy with it so far. If I had more to spend I would grab the 400 for the versatility of the memory card, but for me that was more of a luxury feature so I stayed within my budget.

All of the information I've seen points to the Garmin eTrex Legend as being the best all around buy for around $125.

Yes! I started caching with the Etrex Legend. Not knowing what I needed, I read a number of forum posts and realized that this was the least expensive (cheapest) Garmin unit that had a 'click stick'. The forums said to avoid any unit that did not have one. Solid advice! Of course, I suffered from GPS envy and just upgraded to the 60CS. :blink:

By the way, the legend faithfully led me to a host of caches. It never let me down! :blink: