Geocaching Themed Venture Crew

I'm in the process of organizing a venture crew. MiGO (Michigan Geocaching Organization) has agreed to be the chartering organization, so it's theme will be geocaching. IMO this will be a perfect combination of high adventure scouting and geocaching. As far as I know it will be the first crew with this theme.

Venturing is a youth development program of the Boy Scouts of America for 14-20 year old boys and girls. Every venturing crew has a focus on a specific hobby or vocation. Whatever the venturing crew decides to do is limited only by the imagination of the youth and adult leaders. For more information visit the Venturing BSA site:

venturing

Let me know what you think.

Edited by koda
Good on you, MiGO and the BSA.

In the old days, when the Explorer program was transitioning into Venture, I sponsered a post specializing in journalsim.

Good luck in your venture. :):)

Minor comment.

the program is called "Venturing".

"Venture" is the name of another BSA program.

While many people use the term interchangeably, its incorrect to do so as they refer to separate programs.

:o

:laughing: Hey this is cool! I have had a geocaching Venturing crew for a while but not sponsored by our local geocaching association. That is a very nice concept.

There is a LOT going on with geocaching and Scouting. For example, there is a geocaching course being offered at Philmont in June 06 (space is limited so sign up early if you are interested) and geocaching will be an integral part of the new NAYLE program. And look for the new geocaching supplemental training to be posted on the National BSA website soon.

Email me if you have any geocaching and Scouting questions. Lots happening here.

And congratulations on the new Venturing crew. We need a lot more of these.

Hey I just got some cool news - BSA will run a geocaching pilot course at the very cool Florida Sea Base in January, as long as at least 10 people sign up. This will be a pilot for the Summer 06 Philmont course on geocaching and Scouting. If you are interested, let me know and I will send you the details.

I was involved with a Venture crew when the program was just starting up (our crew ceased to exist when we all went to different schools though), but this would be great! I'm caution against being exclusively a geocaching crew however, but you have the right idea.

This would be a great crew to be involved with in working towards the outdoor bronze and the ranger awards.

Update: It's official the venturing crew is now up and running. We are calling it "Geocrew 4485" because it is being started within N44º W85º . I just registered 9 new youth (7M,2F) I'm hoping that number will double over the next month.

Even though the theme of this crew will be geocaching, they are not limited to that. They haven't had their planning conference yet but I'm sure it'll include a variety of activities.

Our first event to attend is the Traverse City Winter Convergence V. For most of them this will be their first geocaching expierience. I'm sure it will be one they won't forget.

:laughing:

Edited by koda