Upload Simple Text List To Create Bookmark List?

gnbrotz

I personally use GSAK in conjunction with DeLorme Street Atlas to combine multiple PQs and filter along a given route. It takes a couple of steps, but is really not much work to whittle the numbers down to realistically reachable caches while travelling. In my personal experience, my final list is always well under 500 caches total (usually 100-200), and as we know, current info is important.

What I'm wishing for is the ability to take this final list (after combining, filtering, etc.) and be able to generate a custom PQ with exactly the caches that I've chosen being returned as results. After creation, this query could be run in place of the original multiple queries and I could make sure my data is fresh right before leaving without the need to repeatedly combine/filter multiple queries to keep things up to date. I realize that this would leave out any new caches that have appeared since the beginning of the process, but for me that is an acceptable consequence. Also, this would potentially reduce load to the PQ server, though the amount is probably negligible.

Using GSAK, it's already possible for me to generate a simple list of caches, but for now, I'm limited to manually creating the corresponding bookmark lists. I also know bookmarks are currently limited to 100, but that isn't permanent, so I don't consider that much of a hurdle, and only a temporary one at that.

Any thoughts, suggestions or links to similar discussions appreciated!

It is an important feature to me to provide geocachers the ability to bulk dump geocaches into a bookmark list for many reasons you outlined above. I suppose a "simple" solution would be to allow you to apply a comma delimited list of GC codes into a textbox and have them added at once. I'll see if there is something we can do like this in the interim.

However, ultimately web services are the best way to go for this kind of thing. Managing your pocket queries through a desktop interface would be pretty snazzy.

Would that first option work for now?

I suppose a "simple" solution would be to allow you to apply a comma delimited list of GC codes into a textbox and have them added at once.

At one time I was working on a script that would do that exact* thing... until I was reminded that it violated the TOU. I promptly quit. I would love to see something like that. Since you already have the ability to add a single waypoint right there on the bookmark page, it seems like it would be quite nice if that text input just accepted the comma delimited list. Is that what you were talking about?

* well not that exact thing...

Edited by mini cacher

WOW!!!! That first option would be awesome for someone who does something similar to the OP on a regular basis. When I travel I never know whether I will be able to go caching or not so I am constantly running pocket queries because I cache along a route. This would be great to update my caches right before I leave!

Hope this is available soon!

By the way --- I LOVE the defaulting in of the last date used!!

Great idea - uploading a list of Cache-Code fpr PQ or Bookmarkes!

Another idea:

Differentiate between Cache-Description changes an new logs, an a possibility to reload only if the Cache-Description has been edited, Spoiler's changed and so on.

Than you can keep most of the "old" GPX and only reload those with imporatnt changes since the a certain date.

Sincerely yours

Skopeia