Amazing Geoquest, Knoxville, Tn, April 1-2, 2006

We are planning an East TN version of the Amazing Race to be held April 1-2, 2006. The Event will be more of a "Quest" than it will be a race, due to some concerns some people have had over the safety of an event involving geocachers racing in cars.

This will be a 2 day event with a mandetory reststop at the end of the first day. There will be about 80 caches on the total route. Camping will be available at the rest stop or motels are nearby for those who don't camp.

The individual caches will be asigned points. Whoever has the most points at the end of the event will win some cool prizes. There will be a time limit but there will be no need to "race" to find the caches. Everyone should be able to find them in the allotted time. There will be some challenges that a team will have to perform in order to move on, and a few more surprises thrown in to spice things up.

There will be divisions for beginners, intermediate , and experienced cachers to make the playing field a little more even. Teams will be limited to 4 people per team/vehicle. No radar detectors will be allowed.

The start of the event will be in Knoxville and wind through the hills of E. TN.

We are still working on all the other specifics. Check back later for updates.

Feel free to post this on any of your local event forums.

I WANT IN. CAN YOU GIVE ME ANYMORE INFO BY CHANCE? I HAVE BEEN TOYING WITH THE SAME KIND OF IDEA ONLY BECAUSE OF MY BACKGROUND I WANT TO INVOLVE OFF ROAD JEEPING WITH CACHING WHERE THERE WOULD BE 20 TO 25 TEAMS OF TWO PERSONS APIECE COMPETEING. THEY WOULD HAVE TO TACKLE OFF ROADING OBSTICLES WITH GPS COORDINATES AND SOME COMPASS WORK TO GET CLUES TO THERE NEXT CHECK IN POINT. ONE DAY I WILL FIGURE IT OUT. THANKS

Hi everyone.

It seems this forum thread has not been forwarded to my email for some reason. I will try to check it regularly from now on.

I would ask anyone who might be interested, to email me directly with any specific questions you might have.

The Official name of this event will be:

"Great Smoky Mtn GeoQuest"

It will be posted on, or about Jan 1, 2006. Due to gc.com posting regulations, it can not posted more than 90 days from the event date.

The dates of the event will be April 1-2, 2006. We will have free tent camping available at the end of the first day. For those who don't want to camp, motels will be available close by.

Participation will be limited to 20 teams of 4 team members each.

We are promoting this event as a "Quest" not a "Race" due to safety concerns. The way it will be setup, it will not benefit anyone to race through the course.

Everything is coming together very nicely. We are even toying with the idea of minting limited edition geocoins for the event.

There will be much more info to come. Keep a watch out for the event page to be posted and feel free to email me any questions you might have.

As soon as the page is posted, I will come back and post the waypoint here.

Thanks to everyone for all the positive responses.

Do kids count as team members or could we have 4 adults and just have the 3 kids along for the ride?

I would say, preliminarily, kids along would be fine. I originally wanted to limit the number of team members to make it more fair and even for each team.

Now that we've structured it so that each team will be collecting points along the route, the amount of people in each car really will be of no consequence. More people won't help your team get more points. So I guess we have inadvertantly leveled the playing field just by the way the quest will be structured.

However, when prizes are given out, only 4 prizes per team will be given. That rule will be written in stone. We are funding this event out of our own pockets. I have a small "slush fund" set aside to pay for everything, but it isn't a bottomless pit :rolleyes:

Thanks for the questions.