New To Palm And Cachemate

Just did my first day with a palm and cachemate. All went well and I am happy with the operation. Just a couple of questions though.

1. In cachemate under options/select DB. How do you create a new Database file. It shows Default and won't let me add new. (My cachemate is registered).

2. How can I put GSAK Eports in Palm format to the mem card in the palm? I have copied them to it but am unable to load them into cachemate.

Any help will be appreciated.

Just did my first day with a palm and cachemate. All went well and I am happy with the operation. Just a couple of questions though.

1. In cachemate under options/select DB. How do you create a new Database file. It shows Default and won't let me add new. (My cachemate is registered).

2. How can I put GSAK Eports in Palm format to the mem card in the palm? I have copied them to it but am unable to load them into cachemate.

Any help will be appreciated.

1. Type in a new db name on the dotted line above the "done" button and then hit "new".

2. Copy the GSAK exported file to the SD card. Do Option..Rescan Mem Card.

(edit: should be in the GPS Software forum)

Edited by maingray

Thannk you so much for the info, as a matter of fact I just discovered the rescan mem card option.

I am assuming that I will need to put the cachemate directory on the mem card using my card reader/writer? or is there a way to do it on the palm. I have had this palm for 2 days now and it sure is differant than a PC. But I sure am having fun with it... Thanks again.

Just dumping them into the existing /palm/launcher works as well..any of the following.

* /CacheMate

* /PALM/Launcher

* /PALM/Programs/MSFiles

* /PALM/Programs/MSFiles/CacheMate

..so you don't need to make a new dir. But if you do.. you can make a new dir on the card using the palm, or using a card reader. I personally use a card reader to trasnfer files to the card as it is just so much faster.

Edited by maingray

Paperless caching is easy . . . at least it has become so for me now that I have figured out GSAK.

I create Pocket Queries, open the zip files in GSAK, filter the waypoints based on where I am going, then send those to my GPSr and Export those same waypoints from GSAK to Cachemate.

It takes a lot less time than printing out cache pages.

Happy caching . . .

Oh, if you haven't gotten a hard case for the Palm yet, I highly recommend getting one . . .

With regards to the last post .

I just ordered a case from otterbox .com (hard-Think Pelican cases)$ 49.99

Looks like the prefect hard case for my Tunsten E-2

All of their cases have a hinged window,which use can lift up and use your Palm,Ipaq, or Pc tablet.through a plastic membrane.

Now I can take my Palm hiking!

Cool Beans!

Paperless caching is easy . . . at least it has become so for me now that I have figured out GSAK.

I create Pocket Queries, open the zip files in GSAK, filter the waypoints based on where I am going, then send those to my GPSr and Export those same waypoints from GSAK to Cachemate.

It takes a lot less time than printing out cache pages.

Happy caching . . .

Oh, if you haven't gotten a hard case for the Palm yet, I highly recommend getting one . . .

Can you use Cachemate and do paperless on a Palm without a SD or do you need the SD to store the files?

I have cachemate here...

I have EasyGPS

I have a Palm M125

I do not have a SD with it.

What else do I need to make this work? Where is the best tutorial on the web for doing this located?

Just to give a benchmark, I put 500 caches on my 2MB Palm 3 and have room to spare. The cache DB took about 1MB. That size will vary depending on how much data the caches around you put in thier descriptions. I think 500 caches is plenty for what I'm doing. I don't have a memory card slot on this old beast. I've had it since they were new, but didn't have a use for it for the last couple years. Now I've found one, and it works great. Cachemate is an excellent little app, well worth the $8. They do offer a demo version though, it is limited to 10 caches, but that's enough to let you know if you like it or not.

To load caches on these old units without a card is pretty simple. Just use GSAK or the converter tool Cachemate comes with to convert the GPX file you downloaded from GC to a Cachemate PDB file. Now load Palm Desktop and tell it to "Install" this PDB file. Hotsync, then load cachemate and it should auto-detect the new database. GSAK handled the install part for me. I'll probably end up buying that too. :rolleyes:

Edited by kb7sei