Air Tight Containers

mcl143

I did a quick search that turned up nothing. Does anyone have any good links to places that sell air tight containers for geocoins cheap?

What size is best? Should I get the exact size of the coin? Or a little larger? Does 1 size normally fit all (i.e. 2")?

Thanks for any help!

I did a quick search that turned up nothing.  Does anyone have any good links to places that sell air tight containers for geocoins cheap? 

What size is best?  Should I get the exact size of the coin?  Or a little larger?  Does 1 size normally fit all (i.e. 2")?

Thanks for any help!

It depends upon what you want to do. You can either buy containers that fit your coins or buy containers larger and use a spacer (either black or white) around the coin. No, one size doesn't fit all. In my collection, I have the following sizes:

25mm - 1

27mm - 1

32mm - 1

39mm - 30

40mm - 6

41mm - 30

42mm - 3

43mm - 1

44mm - 1

45mm - 14

50mm - 5

52mm - 2

Odd - 3

I did a quick search that turned up nothing.  Does anyone have any good links to places that sell air tight containers for geocoins cheap? 

What size is best?  Should I get the exact size of the coin?  Or a little larger?  Does 1 size normally fit all (i.e. 2")?

Thanks for any help!

It depends upon what you want to do. You can either buy containers that fit your coins or buy containers larger and use a spacer (either black or white) around the coin. No, one size doesn't fit all. In my collection, I have the following sizes:

25mm - 1

27mm - 1

32mm - 1

39mm - 30

40mm - 6

41mm - 30

42mm - 3

43mm - 1

44mm - 1

45mm - 14

50mm - 5

52mm - 2

Odd - 3

What about for a moun10bike version 3 coin?

When we recieved ours the air tight was cracked apon delivery.

I've had good luck going with JP's Corner.

They ship the air-tites with the complete foam inserts, not just the sizing ring.

I just picked up one of these

compasscutter.jpg

and adjust the size for when it's not exact or very close for these foam inserts

airtite.jpg

That way all of my air-tites are the same size. Just make the ring slightly smaller than the coin you have measured. The measurements on the cutter are for radius and diameter. If you measure with radius, then slide it to the diameter, and adjust it slightly smaller, it will fit snuggly. For instance, I cut a very small center hole for an Avroair coin. On the other hand, I had to shave a small ring off the outer edge to fit a GBES. Both coins are in a X40mm air-tite case

I would also recommend making a template for what ever size you use. Say you get 38mm or the 40mm airtites. Take a piece of light cardboard and cut it to the size of the full foam insert. measure it carefully and poke a hole in the center. This will give you a template for placing the center pin for your cutting making your cuts as uniform as possible.

If you are careful, you can use this method to place coins in airtites that range from slightly larger to alot smaller than the air-tite holders you bought.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

Air-Tites are nice for most coins, but you'll find several that are too thick to fit into the containers. You will also have problems with odd shaped coins. That said, Ait-Tites are a fantastic way to go for the remaining coins. Easily visible from both sides. I use 2 1/2 " flips put into notebook sheets that hold 12 coins per page. This would work for those odd shaped coins that won't fit into the Air-Tites.

I've had good luck going with JP's Corner.

They ship the air-tites with the complete foam inserts, not just the sizing ring.

I just picked up one of these

compasscutter.jpg

and adjust the size for when it's not exact or very close for these foam inserts

airtite.jpg

That way all of my air-tites are the same size. Just make the ring slightly smaller than the coin you have measured. The measurements on the cutter are for radius and diameter. If you measure with radius, then slide it to the diameter, and adjust it slightly smaller, it will fit snuggly. For instance, I cut a very small center hole for an Avroair coin. On the other hand, I had to shave a small ring off the outer edge to fit a GBES. Both coins are in a X40mm air-tite case

I would also recommend making a template for what ever size you use. Say you get 38mm or the 40mm airtites. Take a piece of light cardboard and cut it to the size of the full foam insert. measure it carefully and poke a hole in the center. This will give you a template for placing the center pin for your cutting making your cuts as uniform as possible.

If you are careful, you can use this method to place coins in airtites that range from slightly larger to alot smaller than the air-tite holders you bought.

Where did you buy the micrometer?

I got to my local coin shop and have them measure the coin and select the right case. All sizes are $1 there. You should get ones that seal completely, there shouldn't be any space between the coin and foam. Also, here's a list that someone started saying what size you need for certain coins. I'd credit them, but after bookmarking it I forgot who it was!

http://www.oz.net/~jimt/GeoCoin_Containers.html

Here's a good eBay auction for $1 air tights with free shipping! Link.

Edited by Vargseld? ™

I got the compass cutter at a local craft store (Michael's). I think it was near the caligraphy section. Its actually a cutter not a meter. I think it was like $5-$6 there. One of the points is a blade that is replaceable, it comes with two extra blades, but I haven't had need to replace the original in the year that i've had it.

Something I forgot to mention earlier.... When you start cutting, don't try to cut through the entire thickness of the foam, take about 4 or 5 revolutions increasing the depth on each rotation until it's cut. Use the first rotation to just cut the surface of the foam. This will help you avoid tearing the foam on those really thin cuts.

Even with the cutter, there were some coins, conejo comes to mind, that still won't close all the way.... but it's close enough to keep it from coming open.

When the Germany coins came out, I realized that I needed a new method for storing my coins. I have since moved to a binder that holds baseball cards. I took some foam sheets from the craft store and cut them slightly larger than a baseball card. I then used the compass cutter to cut the holes to the exact size of each coin. The size of the foam keeps the weight of the coin from slipping out of place. I'm using a zippered binder and full sheet foam inserts to place between each page to protect the coins.

I am able to put all of the odd shaped coins and very large coins in these containers, but I'm sure someone is gonna make a 5 inch coins soon that will screw us all up.

I've never ordered any Y's, only X's. So I won't be of much help to you there.

I also haven't used the compass to measure the size of coins because I didn't know how accurate the tool was. It's stamped into plastic so measurements may vary.

I will post pictures of what my binder looks like if there is any interest. I don't want to derail this thread any further from the air-tites, than I already have.

I would be interested in seeing a picture of your binder. I did the baseball card thing last night and realized that the coins would fly out of the pockets. I thnk a zippered binder makes more since in case a coin did slip out .

Having the coins sliding around was the first thing I found to. I originally placed my coins that were still in the air-tites in the sleeves and realized that wasn't going to fly. My sister was making projects with this crafting foam and I figured I had the circular cutter, I could just use it to make inserts the size of the baseball cards.

If I weren't always showing off my coins, I'd leave them in the air-tites, but it was too much of a bother to find a way to display them. The binder I am using has a handle on the end. I store it with the bound end up so that the coin pages hang evenly on all three rings instead of pulling down.

I do not have one of those micro meters so If you have already bought some of these containers it would be a great help to us if you posted the size along with the coin name. :lol:

Thanks

I have some measurements HERE

I picked up a micrometer at Sears that has worked well. I wanted the digital one but it was very pricey. For the Air-Tites, I got mine at JP's including the plastic boxes that hold 20 coins in cards+airTites. Highly recommended, they did a great job with the order and packing/shipping. I'll be shopping there again when I get my ordered coins in and get'em all measured etc.

Would people prefer their coins come in a container like the NJ coins? Even if it cost an extra 50 cents or so?

Texas did it right - shipped'em in an AirTite.

Agreed. The Texas coins in ring type air-tites were a welcome bonus. The extra 50¢ will not deter sales, IMHO.

The NJ in direct fit container was close but no cigar. 'A' for effort. Very nice coin though.

In fact, a lousy add'l $1.50 to make it GC trackable will neither deter, but rather increase demand. Distinct icon even more so.

So ... put 'em in air-tites and make 'em trackable with their own icon for maximum marketability.

The market speaks.

©¿©¬

Would people prefer their coins come in a container like the NJ coins? Even if it cost an extra 50 cents or so?

Texas did it right - shipped'em in an AirTite.

Agreed. The Texas coins in ring type air-tites were a welcome bonus. The extra 50¢ will not deter sales, IMHO.

The NJ in direct fit container was close but no cigar. 'A' for effort. Very nice coin though.

In fact, a lousy add'l $1.50 to make it GC trackable will neither deter, but rather increase demand. Distinct icon even more so.

So ... put 'em in air-tites and make 'em trackable with their own icon for maximum marketability.

The market speaks.

©¿©¬

If I had made my coins trackable, and shipped them in air-tites the cost to me would have increased by a lousy 50%

I don't mind supplying the AirTites myself. I'm happy to receive my coins in the little soft plastic envelopes. As long as they are strapped down so they don't hit each other in transit. Its bad enough what the shippers do to the packages, we don't have to make it worse.

pdxmarathonman, Since your coins were personal ones, you weren't gonna be able to get a special icon, so I agree with saving your money there. I'm guessing that you are trading your coins and not selling them... so when you ship they you're usually shipping one maybe two at at time, so adding the price of Air-Tites to your own cost wouldn't make much sense there either.

Unless you can get more that the "Standard PC" icon, I don't see the use in making your coin more expensive by adding it. If they ever allow personal coins to get their own icon, our stat pages will get oftly long considering how this coin thing is growing.

Something else I should point out... none of these methods will allow you to see the numbering on the Alaska coins in an Air-Tite. I guess you could cut sections of the foam out to see the edge, but you may have to cut too much to view all of the text.

Also, there are scrap book pages that you could get that would probably hold Air-Tites inside my foam inserts. The pages are 12x12 and the pages come in assorted and uniformed pocket sizes. I looked at them at first, but since I couldn't find a thicker foam I went the baseball card route. Since the foam isn't that expensive, I may switch later to the scrap book idea and double or triple-ply the foam for thickness.

I don't mind supplying the AirTites myself. I'm happy to receive my coins in the little soft plastic envelopes. As long as they are strapped down so they don't hit each other in transit. Its bad enough what the shippers do to the packages, we don't have to make it worse.

I too have been looking for a better way to store my coins. I'd love to be able to put them all in air-tites, but alas, I'd still fear for the safety of those odd-shaped ones.

I just wanted to add one thing to your comment about shipping coins in the plastic sleeves. I'm not sure what you mean by strapping them down though. I got some coins from someone who had "strapped" them down to an index card with scotch tape. What a sticky mess! One coin was in an air-tite... now covered in sticky tape residue and the others (currently being stored in a zebra-striped photo box for lack of a better method) which are still in the plastic sleeves constantly stick together.

Someone else had a better idea. Another coin I received (plastic sleeve) had been wrapped in index-card before applying tape. That sucker wasn't going anywhere, but it didn't have to bare the tape's sticky residue either.