Nroute & Non Routing Gpsr

rynd

Yes I have the maps. I'm not sure but it seems like with Mapsource (before enroute) as soon as I activated the gps 12 the maps went to base map like detail. I know routing and ever thing works in enroute with my 76 but I'm not sure if it will work with another GPSr. I haven't had the chance to test it and was curious if any body else had. If it does it would be cheaper than buying another routing GPS and the software to go with it. Does any body know if the GPS 18 requires an unlock code.

From the Garmin site describing NRoute:

Fixed issue where nRoute wouldn’t support units that don’t report the unit ID, like the GPS 12XL.

I still recommend that you e-mail Garmin for clarification.

AFAIK, that means for use with unlocked(non-locked) mapping products, such as Metroguide, Topo, and such.

Edited by yeeoldcacher

I just ran a test of 2 GPS units just now, and they were the old 76S, and my newer 60C GPS. The 60C has an unlock, and the 76S does not have an unlock.

I connected the 76S with simulator turned ON, and the nRoute turned to just a basemap on the Computer screen, but when I connected the 60C to the nRoute, I instantly got the city select data on the PC screen.

What I do know now, is that when I connected each GPS to the computer, nRoute probed the GPS for the serial number, and I knew this because each GPS said Transfer Complete just as I plugged each GPS to the nRoute PC.

There is absolutely no cheating here, and you must connect a GPS that has it's unlock code saved to that PC, in order to access City Select maps via nRoute.

Sorry.

What you can do is to unlock a 2nd Garmin, even if it does not autoroute, in order to use nRoute software, and it will work. I have had only one unlock used on my PC here, but I could have unlocked my non-autorouting Map76S GPS.

Edited by GOT GPS?
What you can do is to unlock a 2nd Garmin, even if it does not autoroute, in order to use nRoute software, and it will work. I have had only one unlock used on my PC here, but I could have unlocked my non-autorouting Map76S GPS.

True, but not of much help to those who either don't still have a second unlock to use or who want to use older model Garmin GPS receivers that don't have an electronic serial number and therefore can't be unlocked.

One option that does allow autorouting albeit with older maps is the MetroGuide-USA v4.0x mapset which autoroutes but doesn't need to be unlocked.