Etrex 5 Way Button Issue

KiteGeek

anyone know a way to clean/repair the 5 way navigator on an etrex?

my venture has this issue where sometimes the button works, sometimes not. generally it will do two or three directions, but it hasnt done all of them at one time for some time.

seems that if i turn the unit off and rapidly and firmly operating the buttons sometimes it improves the operation...

anyway... any thoughts?

If you're gonna go inside the unit, you might consider replacing the click-stick part.

Information from ANOTHER THREAD:

Order Digi-Key part number 401-1131-1ND (gold contacts) or part number 401-1130-1-ND (silver contacts) they're each less than $2 but I had to pay a $5 handling fee since the order was less than $25 and shipping was an additional $7 or so.

Complete specs for this part can be found at the manufacturer's page here.

i ended up calling garmin, and though i was well out of warantee, they issued an RMA and took it in for repair. they sent me another one (looks brand new) and charged me not a cent.

soooo, might want to try calling the 800 number, and see how far you get before you tear into the unit.