I Think I'm Going To Ditch My E600....

Cache Heads

Okay, so here's the story....

I got my first eXplorist 600 in July and it was all messed up (way beyond DOT-COM's famous bug-list) so I sent it back for a replacement, which I recieved in late August. The new one worked very well (aside from the known--and annoying--freezing situation) at first, but after about 2 months the joystick crapped out and would stick when trying to move the cursor left. So, I wrote Magellan (Thales) and told them that the dang thing still freezes (they STILL pretend to not know anything about that) and that the joystick is crapping out. They tell me to send it back... again. So the new one (#3) finally comes and it's still freezing (of course) and the blasted joystick is worse than the last one-- right out of the box :D ! I barely can get the cursor to move in the up direction and up-right is simply not functional. Let me say... I LOVE the e600 for its size, shape, accuracy, file system, excellent compass and expandable memory but I am completely fed up with the so-called "minor" issues that keep forcing me to replace the dang thing and I am convinced that Thales simply has not produced an e600 that works the way it is supposed to :D .

SO... I'm going to ask for a full refund. It really sucks because I have found over 100 caches with the e600 and there are features that it has that I know I'll never find in any other GPSr on today's market. Plus, I'll have to make a new avitar :D. So, to sum up this rant, I'm now at a total loss for what to replace the unit with. I've used the Garmin GPSmap 60C for caching and I have to say that I don't love it. It's file system, memory limitations and akward size/shape didn't really do it for me. The 76C has more memory, but is even bigger than the 60C. I have heard mixed reviews on Lowrence, but have not used one. Another thing I'm considering is going for a bluetooth GPSr and using NG Topo and Tomtom on my Treo 650. Anyone ever cached that way?

It's so frustrating, because basically the GPSr I want is an e600 that actually works... Anyways, I know that this isn't a very Thanksgiving like post, but let's just say that I'm thankful to anyone who has some advice to offer, because I just have no idea!

I have to agree with both responses. On the one hand, my 500 has been a pretty solid hunk of hardware, apparently much less prone to the problems that 600 owners have reported. On the other hand, Garmin shows the robust response to the market and their customers that Magellan seems to be so lacking at present. There have been rumors that Garmin is coming out with expandable memory handhelds, and if they are on the horizion we cannot but be intrigued.

Of course, that can leave Cache Heads with a good-sized gap in time.

Edit: eh, maybe not so much time. A closer reading indicates that BassPro claims to be expecting shipment in December.

Edited by embra

Consider something like the Lowrance iFinder H20. It doesn't do autorouting, so if you need that feature rule it out, but other than that it will do everything you could possibly want (and more as it does waypoint projections and the eXplorist doesn't).

The Plus package comes with mapping software and memory card too and its around $200 these days, which is a bargain.

Edited by briansnat

Wow. Those "x" series Garmins certainly have my interest. I'd want to know a lot more before buying one (like if they fixed the filing system so you can store more than 500 caches on the external memory card). The only thing is, I'm not sure how long I can wait. It would be GREAT if they really are coming out in December!

I'm still curious if anyone has had success with a Treo, bluetooth GPSr, NG Pocket Topo!, Tomtom type set-up. Seems like it would be great to combine all of my devices into one.

Thanks for all of the responses so far!