Ability To Delete Virtual Coin And Tb Entries

dogbreathcanada

The geocache still shows up on the virtual traveler's page. The virtual traveler still shows up in the "history" link on the cache page. And the note log to drop the virtual traveler triggers e-mail notices to the geocache owner, everyone on the watchlist, and everyone who's bookmarked the cache on a bookmark list with notifications enabled.

These actions trouble some cache owners who are of the opinion that only items that actually visited the cache should be reflected on this page.

Well, technically, it effects the history of the cache, since it now shows coins passing through it that never have.

I have some extremely difficult/remote caches on my watchlist, in the hopes that eventually in my lifetime I'll get to visit them. Some of these caches get visited less then once a year, yet I get emails about tbs and coins getting dropped in them on a weekly basis.

For example. This cache has had only 8 finds logged on it in 3.5yrs, yet shows 34 travelers in it's history. A few of those have legitimately been in the cache, but it's hard to tell through all the clutter.

On a personal note, it annoys me too when people who have never even been in this country, let alone to my cache, log coins/tbs into my caches just to cheat on the mileage.

The guidelines say that the cache owner is responsible for "quality control of posts to the cache page. We must delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements". I know there are bogus entries in the history of my cache, but I can't properly maintain it by deleting them.

Right now, you can delete the logs on your cache pages, but not the virtual coins. It may or may not be "completely inane and pointless", but since you have control of what you own, and they have control over what they own (the bugs), how is it affecting you?

Are you saying I couldn't use 'location unknown' to throw the icon off "my" caches page?

Right now, you can delete the logs on your cache pages, but not the virtual coins.  It may or may not be "completely inane and pointless", but since you have control of what you own, and they have control over what they own (the bugs), how is it affecting you?

Are you saying I couldn't use 'location unknown' to throw the icon off "my" caches page?

Yes, you can do that if the traveler is still listed as being in your cache. But they tend to be hit and run drops, moving along to the next fictional visit. If you've moved it to an unknown location, that doesn't change the "fact" that it was once on your cache page.

Right now, you can delete the logs on your cache pages, but not the virtual coins.  It may or may not be "completely inane and pointless", but since you have control of what you own, and they have control over what they own (the bugs), how is it affecting you?

Only if your quick. Usually they are logged in and then right back out again. Also, the cache history and the TB logs will still show the TB "visited" your cache.

Edit: Dadgum green turkey types faster then I do!

Edited by Mopar

Yes, you can do that if the traveler is still listed as being in your cache. But they tend to be hit and run drops, moving along to the next fictional visit. If you've moved it to an unknown location, that doesn't change the "fact" that it was once on your cache page.

I realize the miles get stuck, my concern was that I wouldn't be able to toss a lost coin's icon as easy as a TB. (that sounds harsh but its realistic that coins will go missing just like TBs :lol:).

edit: clearity

I don't really see the point of virtual travelers, one was cool, hundreds are stupid. But if someone wants to count the miles between caches they never found, I figure "so what".

Edited by welch

As it becomes more and more frequent that virtual TBs/Coins are logged everywhere,

I already begin thinking about taking certain caches off my watchlist.

Is it the current season that virtual TB logs are more apparent at the moment?

They definitely make up a significant part of all watchlist mails I get (bad weather - few real logs?).

However, they are IMHO reducing the benefit, or better say efficiency, of the watchlist feature.

It would seem to me that virtual logs can just be deleted by cache owners who have a firm expecation that only log entries made in the cache log be entered at the website. It certainly won't harm the person who did the virtual drop and thus won't spoil their fun (which I do think is important).

With a diverse activity like geocaching, there are always going to be some things that annoy some, which others love. Allowing all these things is the way to let as many persons as possible enjoy geocaching.

What about personal TB's/coins used to track caches visited? Many who do this backlog them into previously visited caches.

Since the owner of the personal tracker actually visited my cache, I don't mind this one bit.

It is a nice courtesy, though, for them to delete the "just logging my personal TB" log after they're done.

Someone had time off from work this week, and retro-logged a new personal TB through all their found caches. Seeing a long list of owner notifications in my e-mail, it was actually fun to see that they had found and enjoyed so many of my caches in the course of their geo-travels.

Personal trackers are a totally different question than purely virtual visits, IMHO.

What about personal TB's/coins used to track caches visited? Many who do this backlog them into previously visited caches.

Since the owner of the personal tracker actually visited my cache, I don't mind this one bit.

It is a nice courtesy, though, for them to delete the "just logging my personal TB" log after they're done.

Someone had time off from work this week, and retro-logged a new personal TB through all their found caches. Seeing a long list of owner notifications in my e-mail, it was actually fun to see that they had found and enjoyed so many of my caches in the course of their geo-travels.

Personal trackers are a totally different question than purely virtual visits, IMHO.

That's the way I feel too. Just making sure the distinction is made.

It would seem to me that virtual logs can just be deleted by cache owners who have a firm expecation that only log entries made in the cache log be entered at the website. It certainly won't harm the person who did the virtual drop and thus won't spoil their fun (which I do think is important).

With a diverse activity like geocaching, there are always going to be some things that annoy some, which others love. Allowing all these things is the way to let as many persons as possible enjoy geocaching.

As the cache owner, I am supposed to keep the online cache page accurate. If some people choose to allow fake TB drops on their cache pages, that's their choice. If some people chose NOT to allow a bogus TB history for the cache they own, they don't have a choice.

I've listed caches on this website, for people to play the game as defined on this website. That means use the coords to find my cache, and if, while you are there, you want to take or leave a traveler, be my guest.

A Travel Bug is a trackable item that moves from place to place, picking up stories along the way. Here you can add your own story, or live vicariously through each bug's adventures.

Virtual TBs do not actually move anywhere. There is no physical item. They are not an intended use of this website, or an intended part of the game I spend my time and my money providing a gamepiece (the cache) for others to play.

If someone is using MY gamepiece to play some other game (such as scavenger hunts, cache pirates, cache leagues, or coin quests), I should be able to prevent it if I want. If I want to follow the guidelines here and police my cache, I should be able to remove bogus entries in my caches TB history. The TB wasn't there, I don't want it listed in *MY* cache that it was. If we are going to own the cache, and be responsible for it, we need a way to delete bogus logs.

Edited by Mopar
I don't want people using any of my caches to log virtual geocoin or virtual travel bugs. I think both are completely inane and pointless pasttimes.

Some of my colleagues think that caching is a completely inane and pointless pastime....

Now lighten up and move on. It's just a game :mmraspberry::drama:

For me, it is NOT the question whether I find it inane or pointless. Everybody can decide what to do with his or her time, and it's (under normal circumstances) their business alone.

The question for me here is rather whether it is considered a normal part of the game by the community and that is supported by the website. Or, in an interpretion closer to the OP's request, whether cache owners should have a way to exclude this "part of the game" from their caches.

Edit: somewhat clearer

Edited by HoPri

I don't mind personal trackers, or dog trackers. Those exist. And the people using them are visiting the caches.

I'm just dead-set against virtual travel bugs and virtual geocoins. I don't want those in my caches (or even passing through), because I don't want people thinking my caches are Virtual TB/Geocoin friendly, or that I even support such a completely pointless pasttime.

Anyhow, glad to see a few other people of the same mind. It would be nice to see it as a feature. Perhaps if it was, the backlash against Virtual TB/GC that would no doubt occur, since people would have the power to make a stand against them, would make them go away.

<snip>

Perhaps if it was, the backlash against Virtual TB/GC that would no doubt occur, since people would have the power to make a stand against them, would make them go away.

I highly doubt it. I has never worked with you. :ninja:

Who are you? And when did I poop in your Corn Flakes?

Edited by dogbreathcanada

I'm also a bit nerved by this logs and the watchlist mail clutter. As a cache owner I think about adding a line like

"Please don't use this cache to drop virtual travelbugs or geocoins. Any logs for those will be deleted. Thank you!"

to my cache descriptions. Maybe someone can design a "NoVirtual TB" logo?

"virtual" coins and travel bugs were not the intent of the features of the site. They create an unusually large log entry list which causes unnecessary stress on the machines and on bandwidth. I have been locking these bugs and geocoins to stop this kind of activity.

So yes. I hate it too. I may have to add a report feature for these listings to let us know when the feature is being abused so we can address this better. Geocaching is an outdoor activity and travel bugs are meant to track real world movements. Virtual travel bugs and geocoins are a PITA.

Geocaching is an outdoor activity and travel bugs are meant to track real world movements. Virtual travel bugs and geocoins are a PITA.

I do not like virtual movements of TBs and geocoins either, but I do not feel that there is a big difference between the virtual logging and mass logging of uncommon type of geocoins at event caches. If some event participants take their personal coin collections to an event and every participant is logging each coin (retrieve-drop-retrieve-drop etc), this also creates a lot of unnecessary log entries. Moreover, typically those events are neither outdoor activities nor do the coins travel as a result of the mass logs.

Typically the motivation behind those abuses of logging geocoins is to earn additional icons. In my opinion, it was a bad idea to create so many new separate icons for different sorts of geocoins.

I do understand, however, those European cachers who buy expensive, rare geocoins and refrain from putting them into outdoor caches because the chance that the coins get lost very soon is much too high.

Cezanne