Finding Same Cache Twice Makes Stat Count Increase

ComputerSnack

When a cache changes substanually, a cache owner may "invite" finders to re-find the cache. A second such visit qualifies as a second find. Even without an "invite", I have logged several caches more than once due to subtantial changes.

In the above situations, I would prefer to see the old cache archived & a new one placed but many owners want to maintain the old listing.

A minor change usually does not "qualify" for a second find. A second such visit should be logged as a NOTE; not as a find.

Once again, another thread asking TPTB to change the geocaching.com site to enforce "rules" to keep the find count on geocaching.com "correct". And once again, I feel the need to point out that far worse than people logging multiple finds on a cache is the problem of all the people who find the cache and then don't log it online. How will we ever tell who has the most finds? :ninja:

I have to ask. Why should I or anyone else care how many times someone logs a cache. If the cache owner is ok with it then its none of my business.

Why shoud I care if Barry Bonds used steroids to hit 70 home runs, or if while we're playing Monoply one of the players keeps moving his piece when nobody is looking, or my golf partner kicks his ball a few inches to get a better lay? Its not going to make a difference in my life. But you know what? I do care.

Geocaching etiquette would say that logging a find twice for the same cache is not ok. However there are enough reasons why it is ok that there is no programming logic to restrict it. There are, however, ways for the cache owner to delete finds when he or she feels that it is wrong. In most situations it is the cache owner's responsibility to enforce a double-logging situation.

So does it increase the statistics for a listing? Yes. Is it bad form? Yes, except in some situations. Do I care? Only when I consider it abuse of the site, like when someone logs an archived cache they never found just to boost their find count. That's just outright rude.

briansnat, although I do care about the cheats in all the examples you offer, you are using examples from competitive activities. If you are in competition with geocachers over your find "score" then I assume you would validate whether that person is "playing" fair. However I continue to maintain that geocaching as the geocaching.com site is concerned is a noncompetitive activity, so someone's find count shouldn't harm you.