Finally Returned The Explorist 600

Well, it's official. After 5 1/2 months of caching virtually exclusivley with the e600, I have sent it back to Magellan (Thales) for a refund. I have to admit, it was a difficult decision because the unit was spectacular in so many ways. But, after sending it back for replacement twice, I am convinced that the explorist 600 units just don't function properly. My original unit was definitely the most messed up one-- freezing up all the time, going blank, losing streets, reseting... a real lemon. So I sent it back to Magellan and they replaced it immediately. It was pretty quick and painless. They asked no questions and sent a new one overnight. Problem? The new one still freezes. But, after acknowledging DOT-COM's infamous list of bugs and seeing that the freezing problem was #1 on the list I decided to wait it out for a firmware upgrade :ph34r:. Then, all of a sudden the joystick starts sticking when I try to move the cursor to the left after only 2 months of use :lol:. So.... I email Magellan and tell them how miffed I am and that I'm on my second unit and that this freezing and joystick sticking stuff is unacceptable and so they tell me to send it in and that they will get me a unit that definitely works :blink:. Long story short (well, not really) they send me a 3rd one and not only does it still freeze, but the up direction barely works :cry::cry: ! Needless to say, the camel's back had been broken. After weeding through only a few levels of beurocracy, I was able to speak to a supervisor's supervisor who heard my story (including a reference to DOT-COM's thread) and apologetically offered to refund the unit along with both pieces of software that I had purchased for it.

I will miss my e600 dearly, as it (between the three units) found us Cache Heads over 100 caches. However, I simply could not accept having paid good money for a faulty product. Magellan's (Thales') reluctance to address issues as serious as unit freezing and cursor malfunction has lost them another customer.

Now... HOW long do I have to wait for that dang 60CSx? Guess it gives me time to make a new avatar :cry: .

I'm still using my 600 and have had very few probs. It does freeze when in USB mode but otherwise (knock on wood) it's been a great unit. Magellan support, however, has been lack-luster.

The USB/Data cable that came with my unit had a faulty clip (the one that allows attachment to a vehicle mount) and evantually broke off. Also, the cable is beginning to detach from the AC adapter socket. Back on 10/18 I notified Magellan . Several days later they acknowledged my email and requested a copy of the receipt as well as details on what I needed. They indicated that the warranty will cover a replacement Had to fax the receipt twice over a 2 week period and re-explain what I was looking for even though the email thread included my original details I had submitted. No response after repeated emails until a week ago when they indicated they had sent me not only the USB cable but an AC adapter and cigarette lighter adapter. I received the package today and was amazed what had been sent. Although I had specified on at least 5-7 occasions that I have an eX600, the package contained all 3 peripherals for a Roadmate 800. I can understand some mistakes but this one sort of demonstrates a disregard for the obvious and very little understanding of what they sell.

Sent them an email expressing my dissatisfaction and ordered a replacement cable from Tiger GPS for $19.

[ re: x600 defects ]

acknowledged my email and requested a copy of the receipt as well as details on what I needed. They indicated that the warranty will cover a replacement Had to fax the receipt twice over a 2 week

As the cranky visioneer, I'm obligated to highlight the subtle cluelessness here. (You did just fine pointing out the major bozosity.)

Explorist 600 has a 1 year warranty. Their press releases pretty much match my memory. X600 wasn't even _announced_ this time last year and didn't actually start shipping until about seven months ago.

So there shouldn't be such a thing as an X600 that's out of warranty, right?

Still, Cache Heads, I'm suprised (and pleased) that you got what you wanted from them. That seems to be pretty rare these days.

Had the same thought on the warranty. Concern I had initially was that defect was focusing on the cable and not the GPSr. Some warranties can be real subtle and not cover "hang-ons" like cables. Nevertheless, they acknolwdged the cable was covered. Why I rcvd Roadmate 800 stuff is beyond me........