Gps Unit/mapping Software For Mac?

tjokl

There is software on the web from gypsie.com (I am not sure is the spelling) They will GPS have software that will run on a Mac. As far as maps, National Geographic has Mac software on their web site that will run there software on a Mac, I also think Delorme may have mapping software for a Mac.

As far as loading a map into a GPS, as far as I know there is nothing.

I buddy of mine that is a mac user solved the problem by buying a used PC for less than $100.00 just to load maps into his Garmin, that was a few years ago, now you might find an old PC for next to nothing.

I heared to next generation on apple computers are going to be using an i

Intel chip and will be able to operate with Apple or Windows procducts, if Apple sets them up to do so.

Edited by JohnnyVegas

:lol: I'm a Mac user and have used a GPS with Macintosh for several years. I use a Garmin Rhino 130 and the Keyspan UBS adapter. Software is available from Mac GPS Pro (software and topographic maps) at http://www.macgpspro.com/ and from National Geographic (software and topographic maps) series at http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/. For highway mapping I use Route 66 at http://www.66.com/route66/products.php?cid...ec=0&prodid=716

Each bit of software has it's benefits and disadvantages. All three of these work reasonably well. The Route 66 software has allowed me to completely discard my paper map collection while traveling. It has address level accuracy.

I was very disappointed with Garmin's Map Source "Metro Guide" software which I tried running under Virtual PC.

There is no need for Virtual PC for any of the other software or the interface. It is all Macintosh native and works fine under MacOSX.

MagicTogether - Alaska

MagicTogether,

Hi, I've got the same set up as you. How has your experience with your 130 been? Mine excellent. There were questions about its two way radio, but Ive found it to be pretty good actually; working well with my Motorola two ways. The Garmin IS a battery hound though; so you have to remeber to turn off whats not going to be used and get a power adapter for the car.

My understanding is that maps on the Garmin are proprietary, so you have to find a "friend" with a PC. I know Mac users say: 'we have NO friends like that' but it does help to find some.

What is the National Geographic SW like?

My experience with the Garmin 130 has been very good, including the radio. When one of us goes out skiing solo the 130 goes too. We can communicate up to about 3 miles from the house, that's through the trees and all. Does go through batteries though. We use NiMh and carry a spare set of Lithium's for back-up.

In the car we use the Garmin power adapter cable with the Keyspan adapter and our Powerbook. We just lay the 130 up on the dash on a piece of black non-skid and throw a towel over it for camouflage.

You "can" get Virtual PC and run the Garmin "MapSource" maps. However, the set I bought "Metro Guide USA" was an absolute piece of ##@! The maps were out of date and inaccurate. The routing software did novel things like take you on a thousand mile odyssey instead of the fifty miles required, etc. Junk! Plus running Virtual PC is unnecessary and a pain, avoid it. The Route 66 product runs native under MacOSX and does a really great job of routing, etc.

The TOPO software and maps are reasonably good. The maps are scanned USGS topos and some of the "seamless" transitions are a good deal less than "seamless". I've written to them about scale changes across "seams" and about the inaccuracy of their route profiles, but they don't want to discuss those deficiencies. Mostly, they are OK though.

The Mac GPS Pro software is flexible but requires a bit more set-up to work. They also offer scanned USGS maps, or you can set-up their software to work with a map you have either scanned or downloaded. For example, you can download a USGS map yourself, then index and orient it using Mac GPS Pro. It's mac native also and very flexible. Like most things flexible, it takes a little study to learn how to use it.

The only trouble I've had with the Garmin 130 was attempting to upgrade the firmware by connecting through Virtual PC. That didn't work well. For firmware updates you should seek out a PC to connect with, Garmin fails to provide Mac support.

Thanks for the reference to MacSimpleGPS.

I downloaded it (v 1.7b) and gave it a try just now. Unfortunately, it is too "beta". When I downloaded waypoints from my Garmin Rhino 130 to MacSimpleGPS the software truncated the waypoint names and completely changed the coordinates making them useless.

I saved the downloaded waypoints to a MacSimpleGPS file. When I reopened that file the contents were blank due to an internal error.

Uploading a waypoint from MacSimpleGPS to the Garmin Rhino 130 went OK. The name and coordinates were uploaded correctly.

This program is a beta which needs more work.

Hey guys we're talking about Mac stuff on this thread too.

I ordered MacGPS Pro yesterday and am waiting on the TOPO! discs for my yellow eTrex. I was looking for an app. where I could create tracks on a map and then have it upload to my GPS. I thought MacGPS Pro would take care of that, but soon realized I would have to keep spending if I wanted to get maps where it didn't take me eons to calibrate.

Now i'm concerned that the TOPO! and MacGPS Pro are going to overlap in function. Anyone care to comment on how they work with both of these apps?

The Route 66 app. is intriguing, however, I don't see the ability to upload tracks as one of the features, just waypoints...If you own a non mapping GPS, tracks are life.