Generalized Cache Locations And Winter Caches

Cdeep04

There may be a topic section for this but I did not find one while looking through.

But my question is?

Is there a way to look at a map of the Geocache site and see a generalized idea where the caches are in a large group? As of now I am downloading points and then putting them on a map. I would like to say type in a zip code and then have an option to look at the overall area where caches are generally with out having to go to each specific cache and then finding out where it is.

Also

Is there a quick and dirty way to know if the cache would be a good winter cache? We have lots of snow around here in the winter and sometimes its good to know if it’s a good one to find with snow or not. If this is not already an option I think I would be great to have a box that cache creators can click that indicates if its a good winter cache or not.

Sorry to the mediator if this is not posted in the correct place.

But my question is?

Is there a way to look at a map of the Geocache site and see a generalized idea where the caches are in a large group?  As of now I am downloading points and then putting them on a map.  I would like to say type in a zip code and then have an option to look at the overall area where caches are generally with out having to go to each specific cache and then finding

On screens where caches are listed there is this icon in the upper right map_it.gif

Try a zipcode search. The resulting list has this icon. Or, on any cache page, near the map, you will find a link to Find all nearby caches. This will bring up a list of nearby caches which in turn has the MAP IT icon.

Edited by Thot

Geocaching.com maps (the ones that show the caches) are also linked from every cache page directly. Find the "destination cache" you're interested in, then click the map link to see what else is in the area. Since you're a premium member, you can pan and zoom the maps, too.

The geocache extension for Google Earth is another very cool way to visualize caches in an area.

Is there a quick and dirty way to know if the cache would be a good winter cache?  We have lots of snow around here in the winter and sometimes its good to know if it’s a good one to find with snow or not.    If this is not already an option I think I would be great to have a box that cache creators  can click that indicates if its a good winter cache or not.

There is an attribute for "Available in Winter" that looks like a snowflake (see our Inner Harbor cache as an example). When attributes were first added to the site, the plan was to make them searchable, although this has not yet happened (as far as I know).

Unfortunately, not all cache owners use attributes or use them well. This may partly relate to the fact that they are not part of the main cache listing (creation) page, but a second step done after the cache listing is created.