How To Fix This Coin Thing

Eric K

In another forum Eartha posted this was O.K. to do.

Case three

Im sure this is ok but wanted to throw it out there anyways. You make a copy of a geocoin have it laminated send it out that way. Sure this is ok but like I said just throwing it out there.

Yes, it's allowable.

I think this is an excellent idea. Coins could be 'found' and who would want to steal a piece of paper?

I think if you state in the bug/coin description.

"This is not the actual coin but a photocopy" then all would be happy. :P

This is allowable? I think it's kind of cheating. Isn't the whole point to see how far your "coin" goes and that people who log it actually "see" it? I understand that coins and other TBs get lost, stolen or swiped by other cachers and not moved along. It's just yet another way for people to get their little icons. Whatever. I don't think geocaching has any "rules" other than a cache can't be buried in the ground.

-Tandemaniacs

This is allowable?  I think it's kind of cheating.  Isn't the whole point to see how far your "coin" goes and that people who log it actually "see" it? 

I don't see using replicated (paper) coins as cheating at all. I think it's a pragmatic way for people to use their own geocoins the way they were intended to be used in the first place, that is by actually finding and placing them in real caches.

The sad truth is that if you put real coins in real caches they'll just disappear within a few weeks. If you just use real coins at events, that's really no better than a "virtual" coin except that you see the actual coin, which I don't see as being a significant difference, at least not enough to earn an icon.

In a perfect world, everyone could put their real coins in caches and there would be plenty for all to find. Since we have to deal with reality though, I think using replicated paper coins has the best chance of making the concept of geocoins work. It's obvious that the real coins just aren't out there in caches to be found and we all saw what's happened with the Jeeps.

If I see a picture of a cruise ship in a cache can I tell the whole world that I went on a cruise?

Well, right now you have about as good a chance of finding free tickets for a cruise in a cache as you do of finding a real geocoin. (except maybe a USA geocoin).

At least some of us are trying to make things work. What's happened with all your trackable coins you've left in caches? How many miles have they traveled? Please share your stories of success.

I was trying to suggest a solution to the problem of not being able to put a coin in a cache without it going missing.

I would appreciate if we could keep this topic on the issue.

Thanks

Eric

There are people practicing what you suggested.

I think you know my position.

I'll stop now, because if I haven't made my point clear by now I never will.

BTW: My prior posts were intended as on-topic commentary. Not off-topic meandering.

Edited by pdxmarathonman
I think you know my position.

I'll stop now, because if I haven't made my point clear by now I never will.

Having no real coins in caches within 100 miles = good

Finding replicated coin in cache after hike and search = bad

Sitting at picnic table writing number of real coin passed to you = good

Well that's all cleared up. :laughing:

Case three

Im sure this is ok but wanted to throw it out there anyways. You make a copy of a geocoin have it laminated send it out that way. Sure this is ok but like I said just throwing it out there.

Yes, it's allowable.

I think this is an excellent idea.  Coins could be 'found' and who would want to steal a piece of paper?

"This is not the actual coin but a photocopy" then all would be happy.  :laughing:

Would these be known as a Geoclone Coins? :huh:

DogTag TB's come with a copy in case the original disappears, right? Wouldn't this be the same as sending out the DogTag TB copy? :anibad:

I personally don't have a problem with doing such AS LONG AS the coin was named to reflect that the actual coin in the cache "is a clone".

For instance the TB name of the coin would be "Highly Rare Geoclone Coin" instead of "Higly Rare Geocoin".

Then have something like the following stated as it's mission:

This Coin Is On Display in the owners GeoCoin Collection, but this clone is free to roam the world!

Then someone wouldn't rush out to grab the coin out of the cache because they would know that only the Geoclone Coin was there. Then that would keep the real coins from disappearing.

As a footnote to making a Geoclone Coin:

At least put some creativity into making the clone.

Just a laminated Xeroxed or scanned & printed copy would suck to find.

But, if you were to find someway to make a coin of some sort and then glue the copies onto it.

Then at least it would be something for the cacher to find and trade for instead of finding "GeoTrash".

Plus it would be a lot more durable and be more desirable.

D-man :mad:

EDITED: Spallin :mad:

Edited by gridlox

Case three

Yes, it's allowable.

I think this is an excellent idea.  Coins could be 'found' and who would want to steal a piece of paper?

"This is not the actual coin but a photocopy" then all would be happy.  :laughing:

Would these be known as a Geoclone Coins? :mad:

DogTag TB's come with a copy in case the original disappears, right? Wouldn't this be the same as sending out the DogTag TB copy? :anibad:

You know, I just realized that I've seen this done for missing (stolen?) USA geocoins, where the paper copy was placed in one of those round coin protecters, and you could almost swear there was an actual coin in there.

Just food for thought...

I can't see why anyone would care what I did with my own coins. If I want to place a paper copy of my coin in every cache I visit, why would anyone care? (I haven't done this yet, but it seems like a good way to get my coins traveling without losing them at the first cache.) Is there a prize I would be cheating someone of? Would I clog the TB computers? Would I disappoint the people who sought the cache so they could steal my coin?

I'm not understanding the downside. :anibad:

It seems that too many people are too interested in what other people do. No one ever suggests rule changes to stop themselves from doing something. They always suggest changes to stop someone else. Maybe everyone minding his or her own business would be the way to go? :laughing:

Well, right now you have about as good a chance of finding free tickets for a cruise in a cache as you do of finding a real geocoin.  (except maybe a USA geocoin).

Are you sure about that? My wife and I only started hunting for geocoins about a month ago and we already found five non-USA geocoins. (Yes, we drop them off again in other caches too.) We have yet to find any cruise tickets. :lol:

If people want to send out paper replicas, that's their own decision. But please make sure you say on your geocoin page that it is a replica. I wouldn't want to drive 150 miles and hike 10 more miles only to find paper stuck onto a washer.

While some coins are muggled, lost, or stolen, I strongly believe that the number one cause is newbies picking them up and not knowing what they are. There are no instructions on geocoins. If you want your geocoins to survive longer, you should put a little sticker on the holder saying something about traveling to another cache and/or logging.

I'm surprised so many veterans are so dense about this. I guess it takes a newcomer to point this out. :lol:

Lloyd

I don't know what it's like where you all cache. But around Wisconsin, it's been my experience that coins travel about as well as TBs, as long as they have some kind of instructions about it being a traveler and not something to keep. For instance, I'm taking a coin to an event tomorrow that's been traveling regularly since February. It's really too bad that this isn't true everywhere.

The question of releasing geoclones (I *really like* that term) instead of the real thing recently came up in our local forums. Me personally, I would not take and log a geoclone coin, but instead leave it for someone else.

I can't see why anyone would care what I did with my own coins. If I want to place a paper copy of my coin in every cache I visit, why would anyone care? Is there a prize I would be cheating someone of? Would I clog the TB computers? Would I disappoint the people who sought the cache so they could steal my coin?

I'm not understanding the downside. :lol:

It seems that too many people are too interested in what other people do. No one ever suggests rule changes to stop themselves from doing something. They always suggest changes to stop someone else. Maybe everyone minding his or her own business would be the way to go? :lol:

i have decided to laminate copies of the coins and send them out:

1) so that they cannot be stolen. and if the 'clone' is stolen, i can make another so that it might continue the journey.

2) it does not matter what you do as long as it does NOT affect others. staeling TBs and coins affects others--how can you replace a stolen coin? with a stolen clone, you just make another. if you no longer have the coin you are SOL and out some $ too.

3) i should not have to advertise that it is NOT THE COIN. if the thiefs travel a great distance to steal something that is not what they expected, maybe they will stop this sort of activity. i even put some notes in the baggies saying i was sorry for them to try to steal my coin that isn't there, and that they should just move it like they are supposed to.

4) yes, nothing can compare to finding a COIN. but i would rather find a copy--they are extremely lifelike--than just a piece of paper with the #. you can still see the coin, and that is what counts as a 'spot' does it not?

amen brother. you do your thing i'll do mine. we will all get along.

i have only had one of my coins picked up--and it moved 97 miles. maybe they have been to the cache(s) and they are stolen. guess i will eventually find out.

notice: it is primarily AMERICANS stealing coins. other countries appreciate coins for hat they are, and they are just another TB--owned by someone else, i just have the pleasure of seeing it and helping it along it's journey.

The question of releasing geoclones (I *really like* that term) instead of the real thing recently came up in our local forums. Me personally, I would not take and log a geoclone coin, but instead leave it for someone else.

that is a personal preferance, but i am sure that someone would eventually pick it up.

is it not part of the game to move them around --if it can be helped by you--and there are those out there who only find caches, not TBs or Coins.

should they all be treated the same, if it is a coin or a copy it is still a bug with a purpose--to travel.

and what did your local forum come to a decision on about them? everyone has their own idea.

maybe we should get the BCS (bown championship series, for all non-NCAA football fans) committee involved; everyone has their own idea about that too.