Change To Found It Icon

tozainamboku

Jeremy -

Apparently some people find the smiley face that is put next to found logs offensive

"When I have a problem is when people visit someone's grave just to earn a point and a smiley face," said Rep. Catherine Ceips. "You still have to respect people's privacy." 

Please change the icon to something more respectful.

P.S. Yes, I am enjoying my Egg Nogg :)

Edited by tozainamboku

I shall now, instead of "smilie", refer to the icon received when posting a Found It log as a "Ceip."

"Hey, I got 14 Ceips today in 6 different graveyards! Just look at the smile on my face."

Edit: removed possibly personal comment.

Edited by Pasha

I suppose this is what some would want for graveyards? :lol:

But I feel more like this :) When I find a cache!!!

As for who said

"When I have a problem is when people visit someone's grave just to earn a point and a smiley face," said Rep. Catherine Ceips. "You still have to respect people's privacy." 

I think this smiley is most appropriate :lol: I respect graves just fine, I even have relatives in 3 of the graveyards I have caches in.

do the residents in the cemetery not enjoy seeing new people? who visits graveyards? (the families). therefore, graveyards that contain caches SHOULD have happier ghosts, unless too many have no respect for them.

i like graveyard caches the best, you learn things and see how things have changed over time (people living longer). when i am deceased, and if i end up in a 'yard', i hope someone uses me in a cache.

just be glad you don't live in SC--i hear they outlawed graveyard caches.

I shall now, instead of "smilie", refer to the icon received when posting a Found It log as a "Ceip."

"Hey, I got 14 Ceips today in 6 different graveyards! Just look at the smile on my face."

Also, that picture.... eek.

02a8e093-3456-4af5-8583-8e21d202cf20.jpgDecember 15 by The Leprechauns (1587 found)

Third of fifteen Ceips bagged today during a cache run through the cemeteries of Smith County. Thanks for the easy Ceips.

02a8e093-3456-4af5-8583-8e21d202cf20.jpgDecember 17 by The Leprechauns (1603 found)

I returned to St. Andrews Cemetery to log another Ceips, since I enjoyed it so much the first time. Today I brought my friend Bubba. I had told him how easy this one was, and he wanted to see for himself. We took turns and made our trades. Since this was new for Bubba, I let him go first. As a steady freezing rain was falling, I'm afraid we put it away wet when we were finished.

I know that some people frown upon double logging, so if the owner won't allow it, I will gladly change my second Ceips to a note.

Sorry to go all "serious" on everyone...

Since this person already has a vendetta against cachers - it seems her vendetta is general and not just to cemetery stuff - do y'all think it wise to post derogatory comments about a photo of this person?

C'mon. It's the holidays.

I like that coin idea, though. Perhaps as a fund-raiser for those fighting the good fight? I'd pay for one of those.

One side could be divided 4 ways a-la the GC logo, with images in each section of a cemetary, a pair of cachers, an historical marker and maybe a GPSr. The other side could have a pic of SC with the logo around the edge that reads: "We can't find anything wrong with geocaching... and we can find anything!" Any photoshoppers wanna take a crack at that?

Edited by Clan Delaney

Well, okay, then...let me say the smiley is just fine, but that DNF frowny seriously chaps my hide. It looks so doggone sad. And blue. And sad. Yes, okay, sometimes a DNF makes me sad, but most often it leaves me pretty unmoved, with the occasional flash of peeved.

I see that lugubrious puss staring out of the My Account page, and I think, "oi! You! Grow a spine! Get over it! Deal! What's the matter with you? Rub some dirt in it and get back in the game! It's a DNF, for goodness sakes."

Please stop Ceips-bashing. She and the other legislators read these forums. It is NOT helping those of us in South Carolina work with our legislators!

Jon

I think it is time that we put together a thread that people can post their stories about who geocachers really are and how geocaching has improved their lives. She likes to pick and choose whatever half-truths she likes so it is time we fight back, so to speak.

Perhaps a topic like "Testify!"

I can understand the frustration of those in SC, dealing with this sort of thing. Having legislators spending their time worrying about cachers, as opposed to any of a thousand issues I could name, has to be aggravating in the extreme. It would be like the US Senate holding hearings on baseball rules.

Oh, wait.

Anyway.

I have done several caches that involved some aspect of visiting a cemetary or cenotaph.

Every single one was very educational and I am enriched for visiting these locations.

While I do not live in South Carolina, or the USA for that matter, I assume that CDN and US perspectives on 'respect for our deceased' is pretty much the same.

Some cemetaries feature founding members of a community, who's rich lives have created fantastic places for people to grow up and live in.

Some remind of us of the tragedy of war, and the lessons of sacrifice for the greater good.

My SMILEY is a reflection of the value of the experience, what I was able to learn and how I was able to share important values with my friends and family.

If cemetaries are to be of any use, that to me is the reason to allow public access. Otherwise, there is no reason to include headstones at all and people might as well bury their family on their own property. The cenotaph serves the same purpose... to remind and celebrate the victory that those honoured fought and died for. That is worth acknowledging.

If it takes placing some form of Geocache to raise awareness or bring people to appreciate these locations and people more, then it is a good thing.

Lastly, whoever said it about cemetaries being not being just for the family, I totally agree. If I was buried in one and people came and read about me to learn some piece of history, even if for a game, I would appreciate being considered important enough to be included.

:unsure: The Blue Quasar

Burial Site of Issac Brock - War of 1812

Dyer Memorial - A tribute to undying love and devotion

Laura Secord's Grave and Fort Erie Battle Site

Tribute to Firefighters that died during duty

One of many great War Memorials

My FAVE traditional that features an entire graveyard of blank graves as a tribute to Unknown Soldiers

Another great War Memorial

Features founder of local community, great local history and also educates about a famous family.

I live in Savannah and have found several of the caches in the series that is at the root of this issue. They were all of the same general theme. Find this headstone, do some math, find another headstone, do some math, find a film cannister hidden in the hollow of a tree. Also in the film cannister is a number that, combined with other numbers from other caches in the series, allows you to find the final cache. There were ten or so cemeteries in the series, I think I did about four of them.

They were all fine caches in great old cemeteries, historically entertaining, educational, and very respectful as to the final cache placement.

But that doesn't matter.

What does matter is that Ms. Ceips has been very successful in painting geocachers as a bunch of ghoulish, grave desecrating fools. Local cachers are doing all they can to rebut, but, quite frankly, some of the South Carolina geocachers feel that geocaching.com is not doing enough for them for them in this matter.

Y'all ought not take this too lightly. It could easily spread to other states.

I found these pictures on the Archaeological Society of South Carolina's web site:

Fort%20Stewart%20002%20small.jpg

Fort%20Stewart%20005%20small.jpg

Fort%20Stewart%20011%20small.jpg

Here's the URL to the pictures:

http://www.assc.net/default.aspx?pid=11#Ch...hly%20Fieldtrip

How dare these archaeologists walk around in a cemetery while socializing and taking pictures :unsure: What's the difference of them smiling and enjoying themselves while visiting a cemetery and geocachers enjoying themselves?

Edited by jeff35080
some of the South Carolina geocachers feel that geocaching.com is not doing enough for them for them in this matter.

What do you expect them to do? They are a listing service. Nothing else. They are not an organization of lawyers. They are not legislative activists. They are a bunch of computer geeks who run a website. What do you really expect them to do? :anibad:

some of the South Carolina geocachers feel that geocaching.com is not doing enough for them for them in this matter.

What do you expect them to do? They are a listing service. Nothing else. They are not an organization of lawyers. They are not legislative activists. They are a bunch of computer geeks who run a website. What do you really expect them to do? :anibad:

Notwithstanding that, I am personally familiar with the extraordinary contributions of time and effort made by Groundspeak employees and volunteers to assist the geocachers of South Carolina this past year. While much of that work was behind the scenes, it is much appreciated by those of us who are aware of it.

Local cachers are doing all they can to rebut, but, quite frankly, some of the South Carolina geocachers feel that geocaching.com is not doing enough for them for them in this matter.

If you are so ignorant of what transpired between Groundspeak and the South Carolina geocachers then you are quite frankly not doing enough for geocaching in your own state. IMO your untruths are no better than the stuff that Ceips uses to get her own arguments across.

I am going to lock this thread because it had changed from my orginal intent to use humour and satire to respond to the quote about smiley faces, to outright Ceips bashing which went over the line between political satire and personal attack, to a discussion of cemetery caches (continued more appropriately here), to charges and counter charges as to what geocaching.com is doing to support South Carolina geocachers fighting this legistlation.