Gpsr -vs- Airport Security

kanakajeep

This is a topic that comes up from time to time.

There is no problem taking your GPSr in your carryon luggage. Some airlines allow you to use the unit in the air, check with the crew to be sure. Actually I just use it and have never been told to stop. Wait until ten minutes after takeoff though. You need a window seat and many units will hold a lock quite nicely.

Have fun.

I've travelled with my Maggie ST Map several times. I juut leave it in my carry-on bag. They never say a word and it goes through the scanners just fine. When they make the announcement that electronics can be used I fire it up if I am next to a window. I was asked once if it transmitted a signal. I told them it was a recevier only and they said OK. (Got the same question about my Palm once too.)

I got stopped a few weeks ago on an unusually slow morning at Houston Hobby Airport. They went through my carry-on with their swab. They pulled out my Treo 650 and gave it a going over. Then pulled out my 60C and my Gilsson antenna, and asked me what they were. I told them. They wiped it down to "snif" it like they did everything else. One of the TSA guys said that he was thinking about getting one, and asked how it worked in cars and planes. No problems.

As mentioned, check with the airline for their policy on portable electronic devises. Most of them list GPSr's as OK. A few of them (including a regional Delta affiliate that flies out of Houston) don't permit them. In any event, they can only be used when the pilot or flight attendant comes on and says its ok to fire up your laptops, etc.

Edit: When I say "don't permit them" I mean only don't permit them to be used in flight. You can still carry them aboard.

Edited by Sputnik 57

I was travelling on a Northwest flight from Detroit to Kansas City and using my Magellan Sporttrack-Map on the plane (well after cruising altitude was reached) and was informed by a stewardess that I needed to turn it off and put it away. I did so, regardless of the fact that the Northwest Travel magazine in the seat informed me somewhere on the back few pages of what electronic devices were allowed to be used onboard the plane.. Including the GPS receiver. However, I was not really looking to argue with the lady regarding their policies.. I tend to be agreeable with airline staff, just because they can get strange.

I agree. Regardless of what the airline or the in-flight magazine says, I always defer to the flight crew. It isn't worth making anyone feel uncomfortable in these times. I have never had anyone question it on airlines that permit. I had one flight attendant say, "Oh good. A GPS. You can tell us where we are if the captain gets lost again." He was kidding--I think :blink:

I did so, regardless of the fact that the Northwest Travel magazine in the seat informed me somewhere on the back few pages of what electronic devices were allowed to be used onboard the plane.. Including the GPS receiver. However, I was not really looking to argue with the lady regarding their policies.. I tend to be agreeable with airline staff, just because they can get strange.

Northwest changed their policy to allow use of GPS receivers fairly recently (I think in 2004?) so I suspect the flight attendant was just unaware of the new NWA rule (it's #120.8.5 in their Flight Operations book).

Under the circumstances I'd be inclined to turn off the receiver but then politely ask about the policy as printed in their flight magazine.

I'm planning a trip next year and would like to take my GPSr to do some caching. Do the x-ray scanners damage or affect GPSr units? Are there any other concerns related to traveling with GPSr units? I will not be turning the unit on in the aircraft.

In your case, no, there shuold be no issues to worry about at all. If you have a window seat though, you might find it interesting using the unit during flight. I find it a great conversation starter. ;-) When flying over water though it most likely will get pretty boring with no land marks to reference and share with your fellow passengers. Try it some time when traveling across the good ole U S of A. Take along a regular road map, great fun navigating along. ;-)

Hi

What maps can I use when using my pocket pc in flight when travelling over water?  Is Pocket Earth good enough or is there another program that works with this?

Pocket Earth should be just fine and dandy. If you have a color unit, the water will be the blue part.

Edited by Team Cotati

I recently used my Garmin 60C on my flight from Singapore to Bangkok. The bag with the 60C went through the X-RAY machine without suffering damage (except for the weird look on the security officer's face). Reception was good on the plane but I lost reception when taking off and while I was eating (the GPSr has to be at the window at ALL times!). Moving it more than 4 inches away from the window will result in loss of reception.

For a list of airlines and other stuff about using your GPSr on airplanes, check out this great website:

GPS information

The Magellan Gold will track satellites while resting on the fold down tray of the window seat. I know, I've done it many many times. Sometimes it damages the tray mechanism due to it's bulky weight this has only happened to me on two occasions. Holding the unit close to the window builds muscles.

Edited by Team Cotati

I know this is off topic, but when I first got my GPSr, I took it on a cruise with me. I changed the "miles" from statute to knots.

A lot of the passengers (and crew) got a kick out of seeing how fast the ship was going and the tracking. It was great fun sitting on deck sipping drinks and having a great conversation piece.

I recently used my Garmin 60C on my flight from Singapore to Bangkok. The bag with the 60C went through the X-RAY machine without suffering damage (except for the weird look on the security officer's face). Reception was good on the plane but I lost reception when taking off and while I was eating (the GPSr has to be at the window at ALL times!). Moving it more than 4 inches away from the window will result in loss of reception.

For a list of airlines and other stuff about using your GPSr on airplanes, check out this great website:

GPS information

I have had my 60c hold a lock while it was in my shirt pocket closest to the window.

A couple of airlines now have the built in nagivation screens on the back of the headrests to see where you are (WestJet does I know that for sure) which is cool. Especially for the long trips.

I know it's not much of a thrill looking at a blue screen full of water but when you zoom out and take a look at the proximity to land or where you are when you start flying over the land it's pretty cool.