Recommendation Request

Simply Paul

I'm off to Ireland (both Republic of and Northern) early next month for a job and would like to find a few city-centre(ish) caches while I'm there. I've never been to either country before and I'm really looking forward to it. Can someone-or-two recommend any 'not to be missed' boxes or virtuals which won't take too long, or make me muddy? Thanks!

In Dublin, the most central cache is Stiffy By The Liffey, on O'Connell Street. From there you'll find several city centre caches, many of them in historic locations.

Belfast's most central cache is Picture This. The city doesn't have as many central caches as Dublin (only two, in fact - both webcams), but there are a few in easy reach within 3-5 miles.

If you get the chance, head for the northern (Antrim) coast, and check out caches like The Grey Man's Head.

Finally some shameless cache promotion. One of my caches (now adopted by Hezekiah), All Along The Watchtowers is located in scenic South Armagh, less than 1km from the main Dublin-Belfast road.

Have fun, and needless to say, enjoy the black stuff. As watering holes go, the Duke of York and the Crown Liquor Saloon in Belfast come recommended.

(edited for link)

Edited by klaus23

I found a couple of nice ones in Belfast:

Kidsfun is in a nice park in one of the southern suburbs of Belfast: It's on a bus route from the city centre, 'fraid I can't remember the number! We didn't get muddy doing it.

Belfast No. 1: Belvoir Forest can be done from "Kidsfun" fairly easily, and all except the last hundred yards is on footpaths: We didn't get muddy doing this one either. If you're going to do the walk between these two I'd suggest getting hold of a reasonable map to spy out the best route.

We were away from the hotel for about three hours doing these, including bus trips there and back: You could do it quicker, especially if you don't have Alistair_uk showing you a quick way back to the bus stop :(

Have fun!