Anyone Lost Some Travelbugs?

slimey

Just to add some comments to this :

- Please don't bid against me unless you *really* want the TBs yourself. I intend to release them into the wild if I win the aucion.

- Please don't complain to ebay about the auction - we'll never see the TBs again if you do that

Simon

- Please don't bid against me unless you *really* want the TBs yourself. I intend to release them into the wild if I win the aucion.

- Please don't complain to ebay about the auction - we'll never see the TBs again if you do that

Simon

Lets hope no one bids against you, i was going to do the same as you.

The last thing we would want is a good price as that may start a profitable market!!!

Good luck with the bid.

Wadders

Fully understand your concerns about setting a precedent. I certainly wouldn't pay a lot of money.

I'm happy to return the TB back to you (assuming I win the auction) rather than releasing it back into the wild if you'd rather (same applies to the owners of the others if they're forum readers).

Simon

It seems that JUNIOR ( see above ) was in Border Bridge cache which was muggled between 8 and 19 April .........

something fishy I smell in all this

If anyone knows of other caches in the borders muggled at the same time we will find the purple witch I suspect - ideas on this anyone?

Edited by kewfriend

Simon

I'd guess that if the thief could interrogate cache listings , they will be aware of the forum..... :laughing:

Edited by Flyfishermanbob
It seems that JUNIOR ( see above ) was in Border Bridge cache which was muggled between 8 and 19 April .........

something fishy I smell in all this

If anyone knows of other caches in the borders muggled at the same time we will find the purple witch I suspect - ideas on this anyone?

Just looked in G:UK at archived caches and there is a whole lot of them around that time in the border counties

Simon

I'd guess that the if the thief could interrogate cache listings , they will be aware of the forum..... :wub:

Hold up Bob!! :)

We don't know for definite that the seller is the thief... :laughing:

I do love a mystery... ;)

Golem ...you are soooo right ...

then again...not many people would try and sell some stuffed toys with an intrinsic value of 0p on ebay....

Can't we just point Mr Plod in the direction of the current seller to reclaim the stolen property?

I understood that even if the kit is stolen from the owner, they still own it therefore it cannot be sold or bought by other parties.

I can see it now...

Cacher: Hello, I'd like to report a crime.

Plod: What appears to be the problem sir?

Cacher: I've had my travel bug stolen and its being sold on ebay.

Plod: Any when did you last have the item sir?

Cacher: January 2003

Plod: And where was that sir?

Cacher: Well I put it inside a tupperware box which I then stuffed into a bush in a forest 2 miles outside Brentford...

I offered to donate cash to a charity in return for the bugs and got this reply:

Thankyou for you question, as i PURCHASED these items from a car boot sale, they are now my property to sell as i wish, if you would like to bid, please do.

thankyou

Time to read the Theft act...

There are some additional notes added now on the sale page, as follows

On 29-Dec-05 at 23:10:35 GMT, seller added the following information:

As i have said in my description i purchased these at a car boot sale, therefore are my property to sell. I have no personal interest in geocaching so who ever wants to buy them can bid.

I do not know any further details on these items.

please bid.

:laughing:

Now then... :laughing:

I assume we all want these travel bugs back in circulation... ;)

Let's not all go off half cocked and start haranguing the seller, if we can get them back for a minimum bid of 99p so be it, let Slimey bid on them and no-one else interfere; if we all start threatening the seller with the Police and quoting passages from various legal documents all we are going to achieve is p**sing them off.... :)

I suggest no one else contacts the seller and lets see what happens - you'll have to contain yourselves for 6 days... :wub:

Basically, stolen property can become legitimate if the buyer buys in good faith and for a proper price - of course not knowing or believing they were stolen n the first place. The money used to buy said items then becomes the stolen property and is transferred to whatever is bought etc.

Not as easy as you may think.

Oss!

Not quite right Sensei, in this case, the original purchase was legal as the ebayer did not have "guilty knowledge". At the point the person discovered what the items were, and were therefore not the car-booters property to sell they becmae guilty of the common law crime "reset" under Scottish law. However, the goods were "stolen" in England, so the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1975 comes into play which means that the the law deems that the offence is as if the goods were stolen in Scotland.

Not quite right Sensei, in this case, the original purchase was legal as the ebayer did not have "guilty knowledge". At the point the person discovered what the items were, and were therefore not the car-booters property to sell they becmae guilty of the common law crime "reset" under Scottish law. However, the goods were "stolen" in England, so the Criminal Procedure (Scotland) Act 1975 comes into play which means that the the law deems that the offence is as if the goods were stolen in Scotland.

anyone else confused?? :laughing:;):)

I am speechless... ;);):wub::laughing::) ?

Question - when we receive our new cache notification email every week would it be possible to include a message on it to ask that people don't bid on this auction?

Does every online UK cacher get this email, how practical would this suggestion be and do you think anyone would actually care enough to do it if it was possible? :)

This is going to roll on and on for over a week until the auction ends or the seller cancels it... :wub:

Edited by The Golem

i would think that ebay wuld be the ones to contact.

he didn't commit a crime in the purchase but he is now that he knows that they belong to someone else. doesn't matter how much he paid for them. trouble is if ebay don't have his detials then he could just submerge back into the swamp he came from.

wait til the end of auction when hopefully can get them back at good price, email the other bidder and check they aren't a cacher.

once you have his details and address and the evidence in your hands then consideration can be made for further action....

Having sent this message to the seller:

'Can you tell me the numbers on the travelbug tags?'

This is the reply that I got:

'due to your concern and sad behaviour and that of your friends i imagine, after threatning emails which i shall be passing onto the appropriate person, for these stupid toys, i will do as you wish, remove them from sale and put them straight into the nearest charity shop.Or would you wish me do anything else with them?.

how old are you?..am i correct in thinking you hide toys in plastic boxes and hide them?.'

Anyone else had such a reply?

Yep, I had that one, replied thus:

I have already offered to donate some cash to the charity of your choice. Another cacher has now offered to donate a geocoin to you to sell, some of them are selling for good money. Let me know what you want to do.

You may think our hobby is sad, but we rather enjoy it. We put these 'toys' into caches and like to watch them in their travels around the world.

and got this in response

i do not enjoy being called a thief..or selling being accused of selling stolen property.

If i buy something from a charity sale am i not allowed to sell it as i bought it from a legitimate source?..if you say it was stolen how can that be if you leave it lying around like rubbish?..as i say i am not up on geocaching..i have better things to do..but don't dare call me a thief..i may well speak to my solicitors if you and your so called friends keep up messaging me.

Nice bloke isn't he?...

"On 30-Dec-05 at 09:34:02 GMT, seller added the following information:

Due to the negative line of questioning from some, i have decided to withdraw these items from the auction. As these items are of no use to me, i shall be dropping them into the nearest bin. I can of course for a price give you the gps for my local waste disposal site".

i may well speak to my solicitors if you and your so called friends keep up messaging me.

There's no evidence that the current possessor of the bugs stole them. So that was a predictable response, and this haranguing is only likely to lead to the total loss of the bugs. The best course of action would appear to be that everyone keeps calm and allows the bugs to be returned for a modest fee. As long as there's no sizeable sum of money involved, there's no reason to expect that this bug kidnap will become a trend.

Edit - it appears that "likely to lead to the total loss of the bugs" has become "certain to lead to the total loss of the bugs".

HH

Edited by Happy Humphrey

Congratulations everyone!!! :o

Due to our lynch mob mentality we have managed to p**s of this person, who might in all honesty have bought them at a car boot sale... B)

Now, because everyone has sent individual messages with no consultation or real thought they are going to end up in the bin!!! :D

Why couldn't everybody just wait for the auction to end naturally - we could have got them back for a couple of quid and none of this nonsense would ever have happened... :D