More Multis In Europe?

Airmapper

I have this months GC.com wallpaper, and it's a global map, with supposedly all caches on it. Traditional caches are green, and multis are yellow. You can't see individual caches, but you can see the saturation okay. My point is, the U.S is all green, but Europe has a Yellow hue, more Multi Placers over there?

This is the first time I have ever used wallpaper for my desktop. I always have it set as the default Windows blue. Thanks for the cool wallpaper guys! But back on topic, there was a thread not too long ago where someone said Europeans place a way higher proportion of multis as hides than we do in the US. I guess this image verifies that.

If i take a look at the cache map (http://www.geocaching.nl/maps/seek.php?props=?id=?action=overnl) for the Netherlands and Belgium I see more multi and mystery caches than regular ones. Guess we are the ones responsible for the yellowish haze right to the UK. :laughing:

I think that the reason for this is that there is not too much real wild nature left here, which means that we need to resort to long multi's or complicated puzzle caches to get to a high difficulty rating. A regular cache usually does not offer much of a challenge here.

I have this months GC.com wallpaper, and it's a global map, with supposedly all caches on it. Traditional caches are green, and multis are yellow. You can't see individual caches, but you can see the saturation okay. My point is, the U.S is all green, but Europe has a Yellow hue, more Multi Placers over there?

Yes, yellow and blue caches aremuch more common over here.

I don't have a statistic at hand, but you can easily check this by having a look at the GC.com map:

http://www.geocaching.com/map/getmap.aspx?lat=50&lon=10 (Zoom out to max, and click off the TBs)

I wish I would live in the USA. There are to many multi caches in Europe.

And the tasks are very interesting: counting fence poles, counting letters on signs... icon8.gif

You forgot to complain about the evil, evil, evil senseless mystery caches which are also all over the place overhere. #-(

SCNR,

Tobias

Better finding a micro at a lamp post than walking around for hours and do senseless counting just to find the cache 200 m besides the parking lot.

The idea is that you can enjoy the surroundings (don't look at the gps all the time :blink:) while walking the multi. And there's the surprise element which way you'll be directed after doing the 'interesting' counting and calculating the next waypoint.

Most people don't like still having to walk for miles back to the car after the find, that's why the cache is often nearby the start. Not getting permission for placing the cache somewhere along the route is another reason.

AFAIK geocaching was intended as an outdoor activity and not a game requiring hours or days of internet investigation and puzzle solving.

The different cache types were meant to offer multiple ways to enjoy geocaching. So everybody can be happy to cache the way he/she likes best. Some like puzzles, other not. Some like long multis, other only hit-and-runs. You can always choose to ignore the caches you hate.

Im headed for England and France in a couple months. While in travel mode, I ignore multi's and puzzle caches. Will there be anything left?

I'm not too familiar with England, but I'm quite sure that there are plenty of Traditionals you can look for. The cache density in France is compared to other european countries quite low. You might want to contact sTeamTraen who can give you evetually good advice. (He is reading also here, so I guess he will offer some thought here if you can give better details where you are going as France is quite large...).

Greetings,

Tobias

the evil, evil, evil senseless mystery caches

AFAIK geocaching was intended as an outdoor activity and not a game requiring hours or days of internet investigation and puzzle solving.

Yeah and every single mystery requires that and every single multi includes counting of sensless data, I know your opinion very well as you have said that already >100 times in the german subforum.

Greetings,

Tobias

Im headed for England and France in a couple months.  While in travel mode, I ignore multi's and puzzle caches.  Will there be anything left?

I'm not too familiar with England, but I'm quite sure that there are plenty of Traditionals you can look for. The cache density in France is compared to other european countries quite low. You might want to contact sTeamTraen who can give you evetually good advice. (He is reading also here, so I guess he will offer some thought here if you can give better details where you are going as France is quite large...).

Greetings,

Tobias

Thanks Tobsas, plenty of time before the trip in May.

So everybody can be happy to cache the way he/she likes best.

What do you do if you prefer traditional caches but you live in an area with almost only multis and "?"-Caches? :(

Enlarge your cache-area? :blink:

But I think you underestimate the amount of traditionals in Europe. So far the most of my founds are trads!

Im headed for England and France in a couple months. While in travel mode, I ignore multi's and puzzle caches. Will there be anything left?

I guess much of it comes down to WHY you go caching?

If it's to "make the numbers" then just go for the traditional caches

If it's to "enjoy something of where you are going" then many multis have a LOT to offer, that a traditional would not....

A good multi should take you for a pleasant walk through somewhere worthwhile. Ok, to take that walk, maybe you need to look for a couple of small signs, or count some posts. But (hopefully) the setter took you there to have the walk.

Last year, I set a new multi for a caching event... most have said that they enjoyed the walk, as it had a couple of "interesting features" on the way. If you had just gone to the final cache location, well, yess, nice & pretty, and by a stream, but nowhere near as nice / fun as the actual walk.

One of the issues of a multi is how long the walk will be (and thus how long it will take)... so guidance in the cache description is always useful and appreciated.... but then again, I can think of some tarditional caches that have taken far longer than a simple multi! (and the one I'm thinking of now took about an hour, but was a great walk... even my 8-year old enjoyed that walk).

Paul

I know that London has a bunch of caches many of which are in the great and huge parks. If you like micros in parks and along canals, you are set!

Paris also has a number of non-multi, non-puzzle caches.

Enjoy!!

Im headed for England and France in a couple months.  While in travel mode, I ignore multi's and puzzle caches.  Will there be anything left?

Yes, plenty in England. Even in Metropolitan London. Bear in mind if you bring TB's, the containers average a bit smaller on average.

The multis I've run across are of the kind that lead you around historical placques and you take key data and substitute it for coords...that kind of thing. It can be an excellent way to learn something about an area, if you aren't severely puzzle-challenged. Like what I is <_<