Packaging Test Failure!

crake

So I recently acquired many hundred bubble mailers and I conducted some packaging tests to make sure I had a good system. I tested doubled-up mailers (#000 inside of a #00), with 3 coins in plastic soft cases from the mint. I dropped, stomped on, threw down the street, drop-kicked, ran over, and generally abused the packaging.

During a "throw up in the air" test suddenly the end of the package burst open and the coins went flying. It looked like a slit was cut in the end, and in fact THAT'S EXACTLT WHAT HAPPENED! :D

The corner of the vinyl pouch is actually quite sharp, and it acted as a knife and punched through both mailers.

So what does this mean? I need to wrap the coins in paper to prevent the sharp edge of the pouch from cutting through. No surprise here, we've read about it before. The surprise comes from the fact that the slit was cut from inside - I guess the coins wanted to be free!

"I dropped, stomped on, threw down the street, drop-kicked, ran over, and generally abused the packaging."

I almost lost it when I tried to imagine you with the envelope. I hope you don't live in a residential neighborhood and is there a video?

P.S. I hope these weren't my coins that you were abusing. :D

Edited by LadeBear68

UPDATE - 2nd test was better but still FAILED.

2nd test was:

Coins wrapped in 8.5x11 paper, folded and taped.

Inserted in a #000

Inserted in a #00 rotated so the "flaps" of the #000 is at the far end of the #00.

This did much better, and no coins came flying out. But when opening the package the paper was cut open from the pouches sliding around.

The solution is going to have to be securing the coins in such a way that they do NOT have freedom to move during transit. ANY movement, even if the coins are wrapped, will eventually result in packaging failure.

That said, the coins were amazingly tough. The only damage was a slight nick on one of the coins during the airborne event from the 1st test.

I have never mailed any coins the ones I received had the coins inside of regular mailing envelopes that were folded around the coin then taped to the inside of a reused bubble envelope and all that put into another buble envelope. That seemed to hold everything pretty tight. My packages were intact when I got them.

Hope that helps you! :D :D :(

2nd test was:

Inserted in a #000

Inserted in a #00 rotated so the "flaps" of the #000 is at the far end of the #00.

This did much better, and no coins came flying out. But when opening the package the paper was cut open from the pouches sliding around.

The solution is going to have to be securing the coins in such a way that they do NOT have freedom to move during transit. ANY movement, even if the coins are wrapped, will eventually result in packaging failure.

That said, the coins were amazingly tough. The only damage was a slight nick on one of the coins during the airborne event from the 1st test.

Did he say it has become an airborne event coin? :D I'll take one of each metal...... :(

2nd test was:

Inserted in a #000

This did much better, and no coins came flying out.  But when opening the package the paper was cut open from the pouches sliding around. 

The solution is going to have to be securing the coins in such a way that they do NOT have freedom to move during transit.  ANY movement, even if the coins are wrapped, will eventually result in packaging failure.

That said, the coins were amazingly tough.  The only damage was a slight nick on one of the coins during the airborne event from the 1st test.

Did he say it has become an airborne event coin? :D I'll take one of each metal...... :D

LOL!!!

I would like a coin that showed the whole testing event on one side and the results on the other. :(

Wow - coin ideas coming out from all sorts of corners :D

Looks like the trick will be a #000 or #00 folded over in 1/2's or 1/3's, then inside of another #00 or #000. This passed all of my tests!

Actually I think once I go through my collection of padded bags I'll invest in little cardboard boxes. Now I need to find a good source for those.....

I've been recycling bubble mailers to use inside of the mailer. I use the smaller (or make it smaller) mailer and place the coin near the center. Then carefully staple around the coin area...literally stitching it in place. That is then placed into a mailer and sealed. The sealed end then gets folded over (doubled) and then taped down.

I have not tried any airborne tests on this method, but I am confident that it will pass.

2nd test was:

Inserted in a #000

This did much better, and no coins came flying out.  But when opening the package the paper was cut open from the pouches sliding around. 

The solution is going to have to be securing the coins in such a way that they do NOT have freedom to move during transit.  ANY movement, even if the coins are wrapped, will eventually result in packaging failure.

That said, the coins were amazingly tough.  The only damage was a slight nick on one of the coins during the airborne event from the 1st test.

Did he say it has become an airborne event coin? :( I'll take one of each metal...... ;)

LOL!!!

I would like a coin that showed the whole testing event on one side and the results on the other. :D

Heck, I'd like to see the video of the test being performed!! :(:D;)

I usually tape the plastic flip with the coin inside to the inside of the bubble envelope. this eliminates any coin movement. Then I wrap the the envelope with more tape. I am sure some of you have called me all sorts of names when you receive my package. ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT you probably call me all sorts of names no matter what :D .

Great test. Especially the first one with the inside cut.

I usually make sure the coin is secured to the internal wrapping, and depending on what I have as packing I sometimes tape or staple that to the outer envelope.

I have had many coins arrive safely just bouncing around inside the bubble-wrap. But won't be gambling with that method anymore.

I am with Chaos AD on the desire to see the the video of the tests!! :D

During a "throw up in the air" test suddenly the end of the package burst open and the coins went flying. It looked like a slit was cut in the end, and in fact THAT'S EXACTLT WHAT HAPPENED! :D

The corner of the vinyl pouch is actually quite sharp, and it acted as a knife and punched through both mailers.

So what does this mean? I need to wrap the coins in paper to prevent the sharp edge of the pouch from cutting through. No surprise here, we've read about it before. The surprise comes from the fact that the slit was cut from inside - I guess the coins wanted to be free!

I have had 3 empty envelopes arrive at my mailbox where this exact thing (appears to have) happened. I'm still working to get reimbursed with the USPS (all three were insured.

I;d suggest taping the coins inside the mailers so they cannot move or using the heavy paper mailers.

I've also gotten coins wrapped in plastic bags, food boxes, then there are the few who send them in the USPS boxes.

Sounds like you got some stuff from us!

When we were sending out the SA coins Sissy had us wrap each vinyl-pouched coin with newsprint so she wasn't taping the vinyl pouch directly. She then taped the wrapped packages to a piece of cardboard*, then folded the cardboard over to form an envelope and taped that shut. This is important to create a "ramp" so the item doesn't get caught in some of the machinery. Then all of that goes in an envelope. No bubble envelopes needed. She uses regular 6x9 manila envelopes.

We send out a lot of other merchandise this way as well. She had a single reported failure. Though the whole order got there the customer reported the envelope was torn. In response, she started taping all edges and seams with Scotch-brand Super Strength Packaging tape (not the cheap stuff). She's not had a single failure since. Makes sense considering the failures are going to be at the seams and this tape is tough!

By her calculations, her present method, though a little more time consuming, is cheaper than bubble or Tyvek envelopes.

The trick is to make sure the items inside don't move and use a quality packaging tape on edges and seams.

Hope this helps.

* She sometimes uses a product which is a tough foil with a bubble wrap face. This stuff is generally thrown away from where she works, so she has some co-workers save it for her.

The method I have been using is:

cutting two pieces of cardboard from cereal boxes or similar cardboard,

mark the name and address on the cardboard,

put the little pouch with the coin dead center between the two pieces of cardboard,

staple around the coin pouch to prevent it from moving around,

then tape the edges of the cardboard,

Slide the cardboard pouch inside and put a piece of tape to prevent sliding inside the mailer,

Once the mailer is closed, I tape it all around the flap and the edges. Now it's ready to send.

Call it overkill if you will, but at least the envelopes don't rip or cut open. :laughing:

The method I have been using is:

cutting two pieces of cardboard from cereal boxes or similar cardboard,

mark the name and address on the cardboard,

put the little pouch with the coin dead center between the two pieces of cardboard,

staple around the coin pouch to prevent it from moving around,

then tape the edges of the cardboard,

Slide the cardboard pouch inside and put a piece of tape to prevent sliding inside the mailer,

Once the mailer is closed, I tape it all around the flap and the edges. Now it's ready to send.

Call it overkill if you will, but at least the envelopes don't rip or cut open. :lol:

Pretty similar to my method, minus the smiling monkey... :laughing:

Addendum to that method -- adding the cardboard "breaks up" the coin's profile, and it can't be readily felt through the envelope. Adds to the "none o'your bizness" of what is in the envelope.

I ship my coins with a whole 12 x 12 sheet of bubble wrap ...wrapped around the coin 3 times and taped....then i insert in a large manilla envelope folded in 1/2 and taped. Shipping is still 2 ounces and about 83 cents.

I buy the bubble wrap in rolls of 300 ft and it comes in pretty colors like blue, red, purple, green and even black. I buy it at the #1 auction site for under 20 bucks. I recommend the purple! I also recommend the guy that ships from florida. You can search for it and him under "purple bubble wrap"

Edited by WeatherednBoston

I grabbed a stack of the small priority mail envelopes from the post offcie (shhh) and tear them in half, insert coin, fold in half over the coin and then fold again the opening and tape shut and insert into bubble envelope. Works so far.

And please, no taping the coin slip to anything, it never comes off and it's ruined. A shame when it has the tracking info lable attached to it.

I grabbed a stack of the small priority mail envelopes from the post offcie (shhh)

Now we know why they keep jacking the cost of shipping up!! :D

:D

Yeah yeah, I knew I would get a comment like that! LOL :)

hey, you can even order them and other supplies online and the mailman delivers them to your door, I love anything that saves me time and money. I figured if you are using the mail system anyways to ship the coins, why not.

Wow - coin ideas coming out from all sorts of corners :)

Looks like the trick will be a #000 or #00 folded over in 1/2's or 1/3's, then inside of another #00 or #000. This passed all of my tests!

Actually I think once I go through my collection of padded bags I'll invest in little cardboard boxes. Now I need to find a good source for those.....

I just fold a piece of cardboard over the coins, then put a piece of tape on the cardboard and stick it to the inside of the bubble mailer no chance of any movement.

So I recently acquired many hundred bubble mailers and I conducted some packaging tests to make sure I had a good system. I tested doubled-up mailers (#000 inside of a #00), with 3 coins in plastic soft cases from the mint. I dropped, stomped on, threw down the street, drop-kicked, ran over, and generally abused the packaging.

During a "throw up in the air" test suddenly the end of the package burst open and the coins went flying. It looked like a slit was cut in the end, and in fact THAT'S EXACTLT WHAT HAPPENED! :)

Wrapping the pouch before taping it serves another purpose. It keeps it from getting destroyed when being unpacked.

When packing it's worth remembering that someone has to unpack these things. Using a roll of duct tape is effective protection...until it's unwraped and the packaging is destroyed.

My coin packaging goes like this:

Tape coins to 3x5 index card (max 4 to a card)

Place card in small sealed bubble wrap pouch

Place bubble wrap pouch in bubble wrap mailer

Include mailing address inside mailer pouch

Seal pouch (add tape for extra security if needed)

Package is ready for mailing

Stomping! I think that's where you went wrong. Never stomp your mail!

When I worked in the picture frame factory, the standard packaging test was 'toss over the shoulder'. Of course, stomping picture frames is never a good idea.

Never send anything through the 'small parcel service' Chicago hub. They'll destroy anything.

Now, of course, I work in export packaging. Could I interest you in a plywood box, ISPM-15 compliant? Only $150 minimum...

Look closely when you fold over the sealing flap of a bubble package. At the edge there is only the paper for strength--there is no bubble wrap there. I think thats where the coin can cut through.

Now I place a strip of 2 inch tape around this edge of the envelope.

I have been using old cerial boxes, old post office cardboard envelopes to make a sandwich with the coins and some cheap padding (toilet paper). Cardboard is taped all around, but before the coins are added the sharp corners of the cardboard are cut off.

However, when I did the shipping for all 1200 of the Delaware coins they were just placed inside bubble packs. Way too much work to do it the best way. There were three incidents of slit envelopes and missing coins. That was about a 1% loss. If I did it again, I think just tape around the sealing end would be reasonable method, and maybe putting the coins into inner paper envelope. speed is inportant if you have to do 300 shipments

Look closely when you fold over the sealing flap of a bubble package.  At the edge there is only the paper for strength--there is no bubble wrap there.  I think thats where the coin can cut through.

I also staple twice along the sealing flap and tape over that with packing tape. I also tape the coin to the inside of the bubble mailer.

Look closely when you fold over the sealing flap of a bubble package.  At the edge there is only the paper for strength--there is no bubble wrap there.  I think thats where the coin can cut through.

I also staple twice along the sealing flap and tape over that with packing tape. I also tape the coin to the inside of the bubble mailer.

Be careful how you do this. Because scotch tape has a tendency of sticking to the plastic flips that coins usually come from the manufacturer, thus making them unusable. And I actually had somebody scotch tape the coins! Now they're all sticky! Yuk! :P

Be careful how you do this. Because scotch tape has a tendency of sticking to the plastic flips that coins usually come from the manufacturer, thus making them unusable. And I actually had somebody scotch tape the coins! Now they're all sticky! Yuk! :P

I should have clarified. I first wrap the coins w/coin flip in bubble wrap or some other sort of padding, tape that shut, and then tape that to the inside of the bubble mailer. I make sure I don't tape the coin flip since some people like to store their coins in them and making them sticky wouldn't be too good. :unsure:

I found a bunch of disk mailers for 3 1/2" floppies. They work great for 1 or 2 coins. I tape the coin (in its plastic pouch) to a 3 x 5 card, then tape the card inside the mailer. I haven't heard of any problems.

I found a bunch of disk mailers for 3 1/2" floppies. They work great for 1 or 2 coins. I tape the coin (in its plastic pouch) to a 3 x 5 card, then tape the card inside the mailer. I haven't heard of any problems.

Like I said, the scotch tape has a tendency to stick to the plastic flips, making them sticky. This means that you can't use them anymore.

Hey GK, I'll bet the scotch tape sticks to the flip and makes it sticky?? I'm just joking with you, but on a serious note I do the same thing but I use packing tape. I will say in advance that I am sorry for ruining the flip but at least I know the coin will make it if the bubble envelope is cut.

Now I know everyone is going to say wrap it within something, I have to tell you that I have a stack of bubble envelopes from floor to ceiling I do not have room to store extra cardboard or a roll of bubble wrap. My goal is to get the coin to you in mint shape and to assure that if the envelope is cut the coin does not come out. To this date I believe all envelopes have arrived in tact with coin still inside. The last I checked we where coin addicts not flip collectors :laughing:

Now I know everyone is going to say wrap it within something, I have to tell you that I have a stack of bubble envelopes from floor to ceiling I do not have room to store extra cardboard or a roll of bubble wrap. My goal is to get the coin to you in mint shape and to assure that if the envelope is cut the coin does not come out.

Securing the coin within the envelope will be 99% of the solution.

Taking a few of those envelopes from the very top of that stack (it's gotta be kinda unstable anyway) and ripping/cutting them up into smaller pieces to wrap around the coin/flip before applying the tape will solve the remaining 1% of the problem.

A small piece of newspaper wrapped around the coin flip first...will allow you to tape it securely to a card without making the gooey mess.

My method lately has been to recycle the bubble mailers creating a pouch to be put inside another bubble mailer. A stapler is used to literally stitch the coin in like a quilt. That keeps it from moving around, plus provides another layer of padding.

Those of you who have received my packages lately might be cursing me because of the staples, but also glad not having to deal with the gooyies.

OK - so here's the breakdown in packing techniques.

Domestic:

1-2 coins:

- 2 large index cards cut to fit inside a #000 mailer.

- Staple "pouches" into the cards to hold 1 or 2 coins

- Insert coins, and staple the pouches close - this prevents coins sliding around

- Insert index cards + coins into #000 and seal.

- Stamp #000 with return address

- Insert #000 into #00 mailer

- Address with click+ship, and mail

3+ coins:

- Drop 3-6 coins into a #00 or #000 mailer, fold over and secure

- Place mailer into VHS mailer, and secure with tape

- Stamp inside of mailer with return address

- Close and secure mailer, address with click+ship, and mail

International:

- Load #000 mailer with index card pounches from above

- Insert mailer into international priority small document folders, seal, and address

- Go to post office

- Get ticket

- Wait

- Stare at the line

- Wait

- Think about lunch

- Wait

- Wait some more

- Get annoyed by family ahead of you getting passports but didn't bother filling out the form before leaving the house

- Wait

- NUMBER CALLED! YIPPEE!

- Explain to postman that customs forms aren't required for packages less than 16 oz

- Explain that these are "novelty game tokens"

- Again, explain to postman that customs forms aren't required for packages less than 16 oz

- Point out that it SAYS THIS RIGHT ON THE USPS PRIORITY PACKAGING! Shess!

- Wait for each package to be weighed and priced

- This take a while for 30 packages

- FINALLY - you're done!

Maybe I should post pictures?

Not of the post office lines, of the packaging.

Edited by crake